Thrik

The Last of Us

Yeah it does seem a bit premature to be making all those conclusions about the game. There were like a few bullets fired in the trailer because they managed to find a few usable bullets, before that the guy was brawling with someone — and that's if you even play as the guy, which I'm thinking you don't.

Aesthetically I have no complaints, and we've only seen a very small section of the game. This is Naughty Dog we're talking about, who have repeatedly exceeded all expectations when it comes to epic environments. I mean, with these guys you don't know whether the next door is going to lead to a broom cupboard or a vast golden city.

I just can't see this being bad, myself. It might be faith to a certain degree, but if anyone's earned it I do believe it's these guys.

Gotta love hipster gamers that say they are sick of zombies like there is only one type of zombie and one type of game to have a zombie like enemies in. I'm not sick of them by a long shot. Left 4 dead is great, RE4 and 5 were great, lots of people loved killing floor and dead island as well. I have full faith in naughty dawg to make a great game.

I'm at work right now so can't really rewatch the trailer, but I'm wondering where people are getting this impression. From what I recall, the girl is scavenging bullets which gives me more an ammo-is-scarce type vibe which to my mind means that while, sure, there's going to be shooting, makes it kind of the opposite of a shootfest. I mean I don't recall ever really worrying about ammo in the uncharted games...you might be low on ammo for the particular gun you prefer, but there's always something lying around.

I guess shootfest was the wrong word. I meant more like Uncharted 1 where you run out of bullets, get out of cover, pick up an enemy gun, run back to cover, repeat. That's what I'm imagining when I see a trailer not showing much in the way of platforming and set traversal: the aspect of Uncharted I don't like. I imagine it's more survival horror, but I'm just getting bad flashbacks of waves of enemies and low ammo.

Where the hell are you getting all this from? By video preview do you mean there's an actual preview up somewhere or are you referencing the trailer? If you're referencing the trailer, do you really believe it's fair to attack the likeability of the characters and the story? I mean, it's two minutes long and it's a reveal trailer, come on. Also, that "this character is probably based on an actress that I happen to not like" criticism is sort of out of left field as well.

Little defensive there, eh? These are my impressions from a trailer. That is what is what a trailer is for, to give you an impression of what to expect, otherwise they might as well just have a 10 second clip of the game title fading in and out until they get gameplay footage for what you require. So yeah, that's what I got from it. Sorry it's not to your liking.

Yeah it does seem a bit premature to be making all those conclusions about the game.

Yeah I know, but I did state so.

Gotta love hipster gamers that say they are sick of zombies...

If I'm cool for hating on zombie everything now, sign me up. I can get so much pussy being a hipster. :waluigi:

Well, that was fun.

How you gonna pick up an enemy gun when the enemies are zombies!

Unless... the zombies have guns?!

whatatwist

Actually, my position on this whole thread has now returned to "reveal trailers are stupid". They never tell us much of anything and based on the responses here, what gets inferred from them is radically different between different people. Thinking about it any further seems like it can only end up in profound disappointment for someone, so I'll return to waiting for actual information.

Well I mean, if we just ignore the trailers, then there's nothing to discuss and speculate for internet fun.

How you gonna pick up an enemy gun when the enemies are zombies!

They will be guarding all of the boxes of guns and killing you as you reach for them until Ellen Page lunges at them with her knife. This is all legit.

This is all legit.

Well, I certainly can't disagree, if it's all legit!

According to a leak the villain is an older Nathan Drake who decided 'fuck it' after accidentally unleashing yet another deadly curse. :woohoo:

old_drake.jpg

Didn't you know? Idle Thumbs is the internet home of hipster gamers everywhere.

Weird! And it's so easy to fit in too! All you have to do is to dislike zombies... which seems like a complete no-brainer anyway.

(rimshot)

Forget zombies. Where are all the vampire games? Apparently this shit is hot right now in books and maybe movies? I know Twilight and some other Vampire cash-in riding on Twilight's coattail* is trying to take over the sci-fi section in the book store.

* I'm probably thinking of another expression here but can't remember.

That expression is correct.

Werewolves are way more awesome and badass than vampires.

Has there ever been a good game about werewolves? Or just any game? Games with werewolves in them, sure, but one with werewolves as the main theme of the game?

Forget zombies. Where are all the vampire games? Apparently this shit is hot right now in books and maybe movies?

Usually takes games a few years to catch up to the movie fads, so since we still haven't gotten passed zombie movies, we'll need to go through vampires for a few years until we get to super heroes.

Twilight is considered scifi? jesus.

Yes, I have too much time on my hands...

attachment.php?attachmentid=771&stc=1&d=1323738533

I think it's fair to say that the general public might be feeling a little zombie fatigued for good reason: We've seen a relative explosion of Zombie things in recent years.

PS - Yes, this is a real chart based on real data... Well data from Wikipedia, anyway.

post-94-13375603474982_thumb.jpg

Edited by ThunderPeel2001

Haha, yes I did. Except it's not Sully's moustache, it's Old Snake's. :tup:

Twilight is considered scifi? jesus.

Vampires are, sometimes. Other times, they're horror. Depends on the book, I guess.

Although Twilight has its own Teen Paranormal Romance section in some bookstores now.

103-paranormal-genre.jpg

In terms of existing genres I'd probably call Twilight modern fantasy (as well as teen romance, of course). What "counts" as science fiction gets debated a lot, but Twilight definitely doesn't feel right for it in my mind.

In terms of existing genres I'd probably call Twilight modern fantasy (as well as teen romance, of course). What "counts" as science fiction gets debated a lot, but Twilight definitely doesn't feel right for it in my mind.

...unless secretly they aren't vampires and werewolves at all but the product of some kind of high tech genetic engineering project. And if you can tell me that's not the case...

Gotcha! you just outed yourself as having seen the movies or read the books

Actually, I have read the books. Admittedly, the first was a gift and I was then encouraged to read the rest to maintain the dialogue I was having regarding the books with the person who gave me the first one. Nevertheless, I read those things that the internet doesn't like.

Even having read the books... there's nothing that really counteracts the possibility that they could be experiments. The only thing that might count against it would be the length of time they've existed for, and if we go down the rabbit hole of ancient hidden technology are we perhaps getting back into fantasy, or maybe even crossing into conspiracy theory/alternate history?

Genres are weird.