Ryam BaCo

lucaswhat?

:eek:

Okay... Let's pretend this never happens. If you tell someone, I 'll kill you. And your family. And If I'm in the mood, I'll also kill your dog so that it won't be lonely. Beware.

Anyway.. hurrah for Stormtroopers!

Okay... Let's pretend this never happens. If you tell someone, I 'll kill you. And your family. And If I'm in the mood, I'll also kill your dog so that it won't be lonely. Beware.

Anyway.. hurrah for Stormtroopers!

Psst, jake will you post what he had said on the main site?

Of course, I have no idea if the game was really "nothing like the original" and all that, but if they said so, at least I would have been a little happier.

The problem with what you're saying is that we actually had indication that S&M was going to be awesome beyond LucasArts' PR department. Myself, I was sold when I learned that Stemmle and Purcell were teaming up again, rather than a team made up completely of people who had never worked on anything Sam & Max. FT2, on the other hand....well, we knew Schafer wasn't going to be involved, and that's basically all the info we needed to start being critical (FT was largely Schafer and pretty much needs him...S&M, though it wouldn't have been ideal, could conceivably work with newcomers). The FT2 screenshots and the concept of an action game were the final turn-offs.

If LucasArts' would have given us a similar reason for canceling S&M as they did for Full Throttle, I simply wouldn't have believed them. Look at Stemmle and Purcell's comments on the game. And of course Purcell's comments after the fact destroyed any hope of the game sucking, and certainly ended the argument that the game was "not what the creator envisioned," or something. We had more than just a nagging feeling that FT2 was going to be less than great, and we had more than just a hunch that Freelance Police was going to be fucking awesome. We simply can't pretend like the game was going to suck, because it wasn't. I know we shouldn't judge a book by its cover, but if anyone can look at the screenshots without wetting themselves, then nothing will.

Well, still, Lucasarts wasn't very sensitive to us back then. They could've been a little more, uh, polite...

I was sold when I learned that Stemmle and Purcell were teaming up again. And of course Purcell's comments after the fact destroyed any hope of the game sucking.

Purcell only worked on cutscene dialogue and general plot though.

The E3 video was specially made (I think - it had better have been, as the idea of the game having a 6 foot evil cat makes me sick), and we only got a handful of screenshots.

Purcell's comments seemed polite rather than ecstatic, and perhaps he would have said something similar whether the game sucked or not.

It was a smarter move for LA to say "It's the marketplace's fault, we're looking after our assets", rather than "we made ANOTHER adventure game so shitty we had to dump it in the later development-stages", were the latter true.

I'm not convinced this is the case, but I don't think we can dismiss it on the evidence we have. I had very hopes for the game, despite evil cats and LSL 3D-looking mini-games.

And, seeing as it's my first post:

:eathat:

Purcell's comments seemed polite rather than ecstatic, and perhaps he would have said something similar whether the game sucked or not.

It was a smarter move for LA to say "It's the marketplace's fault, we're looking after our assets", rather than "we made ANOTHER adventure game so shitty we had to dump it in the later development-stages", were the latter true.

OK, so you believe that Purcell possibly lied about the game.

Reading his response, I see nothing to indicate his being polite about it. And I think LucasArts is more than capable of telling us the game sucked. I don't think that telling us what they did was a smarter move at all. It's very unclear and remains a source of much frustration.

Reading his response, I see nothing to indicate his being polite about it. And I think LucasArts is more than capable of telling us the game sucked. I don't think that telling us what they did was a smarter move at all. It's very unclear and remains a source of much frustration.

before the cancellation of s&m2:

interviewer: what about the quality of s&m2?

la-employee: awesome! awesome!

after the cancellation of s&m2:

interviewer: what about the quality of s&m2?

la-employee: it sucks. and that's why we cancelled it.

that'd be hilarious.

I'd consider the later one better for my mental health than "It wouldn't make much money, that's why we canceled it."

It's the lack of sensitivity to the fans that pisses me off. LucasArts were well aware of the fans' anticipation of the game, and despite the very vocal protests against the cancellation, half a year on we've heard nothing more. I find it hard to accept those few sentences of explanation, and they've have never been expanded upon. They just seem faceless and uncaring.

Whilst I'd never get depressed or hateful about a game being cancelled, finding out Freelance Police had been axed was the single most disappointing moment of my gaming life. Moreso because it was LucasArts letting me down, and LucasArts was truly one of the first things I remember feeling I was a fan of. I suppose I'd started to lose faith in them, but the day it was cancelled was a big turnaround in my opinion of them.

As for the E3 trailer, I don't know how any fan could have seen that and not been almost jumping for joy - I thought it was incredible. It felt like conclusive proof that the game was going to kick ass.

Whilst I'd never get depressed or hateful about a game being cancelled, finding out Freelance Police had been axed was the single most disappointing moment of my gaming life. Moreso because it was LucasArts letting me down, and LucasArts was truly one of the first things I remember feeling I was a fan of. I suppose I'd started to lose faith in them, but the day it was cancelled was a big turnaround in my opinion of them.

I never saw this whole cancellation thing as 'LucasArts letting us down'. They're a company, just like any other company, except they've made some damn good games and used to have a fine damn crew. That's a fact that won't change. It's sad to see how the current management is screwing with this company and it's people, though.

Sam and Max 2 being cancelled was THE most disappointing moment of my 'gaming-life' simply because it was a game I was looking forward to. This is actually the first game I was looking forward too and that got canned.

--Erwin

I just find it funny how Lucasarts have canned S&M 2 and now all of a sudden, they've shortened their staff, not once but TWICE!!!

Two major cuts.

Problem is, they'll make so much money outta the DVD release and the third film (plus, there is a strong rumor going around again about a sequal trilogy), that the franchise still has a lot of life left...

...Which doesn't make me hopeful for any Monkey Island 5, or anything beyond a star wars game from them in the future.

Maybe when the S&M license expires with Lucasarts, someone else will pick up the ball.

*shrug* Who knows...

By the way, my first time here, great site...I can see me sticking around here for a while. :naughty:

I just find it funny how Lucasarts have canned S&M 2 and now all of a sudden, they've shortened their staff, not once but TWICE!!!

Two major cuts.

Problem is, they'll make so much money outta the DVD release and the third film (plus, there is a strong rumor going around again about a sequal trilogy), that the franchise still has a lot of life left...

...Which doesn't make me hopeful for any Monkey Island 5, or anything beyond a star wars game from them in the future.

Maybe when the S&M license expires with Lucasarts, someone else will pick up the ball.

*shrug* Who knows...

By the way, my first time here, great site...I can see me sticking around here for a while. :naughty:

YES! Someone who's newer here than I am!

HUMAN CONDOM

Geez, that's quite an unfair remark.

Ha! You may make fun of me now, but you just wait until you meet a gorgeous supermodel who wants you. You'll be begging to use me! Begging, I tell you!!

..... :eek:

Okay, back to LucasArts now. PLEASE ?

Geez, how could they cancel Loom 2 ? How is it possible that 6 months after the events fans are still bitching about SM2 cancellation ? How can Barney be so popular and at the same time totally unknown to me? These are three very deep mysteries to me.

Geez, that's quite an unfair remark.

Yeah, but look at his av.

Anyway, I'm sorry Intrepid Homoludens, I hope we can still be friends in case I meet a supermodel

Anyway, the problem with LEC is that right now they're too conservative, if it isn't a game from a genre that has recently succeded, they won't do it, RTX was a Third Person shooter/platformer, Gladius was an RPG, Star wars games are.....Star Wars, mostly shooters. But Adventure games have been mostly gone since Grim Fandango.