Sign in to follow this  
Salka

Do any of you live in Iceland?

I really, really fancy Timothy Dalton. He was the best Bond. I really want to go to Tromso now and I still really want to go to Iceland too. I'd love to take LSD and then watch the Northern Lights. Here is my stream of consciousness, I hope you like it.

Yup, Norway is hella 'spensive.

Also, what brkl said, darkness for six months gets kinda oppressive. On the other hand, it's fun to go out drinking in summer, come out of the bar, and have the sun in your face.

Beer in Norway is cool, but not as great as say Germany or Belgium. Fact: Tromsø is home to the northernmost brewery in the world. They have their own bar, but it closes like at like 3 in the afternoon. Though I suppose that for an Irish person that's not a big problem.

Also, guess what's NASA's picture of the day?

Wow, I just checked and actually Norway is not that much more expensive than Ireland. I was so shocked when I went back there recently and was paying £6 for a pint of Carlsberg. How do people afford to go out over there??

Yup, there we go, I just found a list of the most expensive countries and Ireland is only two places below Norway. Also I've been to Denmark and that raped me to death but I survived and got home okay, so hopefully Norway shouldn't destroy me too much.

I should change the name of this thread or something...?

Wow, I had no idea that Ireland was so expensive... I finally have a decency reason for not having visited. Hurrah!

Shame Denmark is, though. I really fancy going there.

Norway is really expensive yeah, but Tromsø was awesome. I enjoyed every second of my stay there.

We had bad luck that the weather was kind of gray and cloudy all the time, but right after we left the sky had apparently been full of huge green Northern Lights. So sucks to be us I guess.

Oh yeah and I liked the beer. We went to the brewery pub and I bought beer with me from Tromsø from that brewery and brought it all the way back to my hometown while drinking one can per location that we stopped on the way.

Glögg is nice. Also: pepparkakor and saffron buns. Speaking of which, what am I doing sitting at this computer?

My girlfriend spent most of Christmas chasing aurora, but it was cloudy for most of our stay, then, on one of our last days, she got to take this picture:

407995_10150518461152140_647532139_8718716_2043310768_n.jpg

Indeed, it's in the middle of the island, looking in towards the mainland. The yellow dot up on the mountain is the cable car, where you can look out over the city.

Here's another picture she took:

399860_10150519372137140_647532139_8722449_994165924_n.jpg

Looks amazing, can't wait to visit there. Need to stop being a student... :(

Wow, it reads like a magical place! Perhaps a little too cold and dark for my liking, but you probably get used to that. It's somewhat baffling that a location like this is inhabited in the first place, actually!