miffy495

Super Mario 3D Land

Man, even with people on this forum who write for magazines ABOUT Nintendo (looking at you, Rodi), there's so little love for the 3DS on here. I know for a fact many of you have one, so who else has been playing Mario 3D Land? I just beat the main quest myself and have started ploughing through the New Game + sorta thing after you beat Bowser. It's actually more of a completely new game. Each level is themed roughly the same as its main game counterpart, but they'e by and large incredibly different to play through in the second mode. This game is really, really good. A bit too easy, but full of fantastic moments. Where are all the people looking to make their 3DSes actually useful? This is the game to do it with!

This is basically what I bought a 3DS for (on launch day too :/) and it's totally been worth it. More on it later, I suspect, but so far it's been fantastic.

I gotta say, now that I'm through the first three worlds of "SPECIAL" levels (the ones that you can unlock with medals after beating the game), this is where 3D starts to make a lot more sense. I actually cried out with a "Holy shit!" at one point. This game makes good on the 3DS so far. If Nintendo can do more like this, I'm pretty damn happy. I caution anyone playing this game against stopping after beating Bowser the first time. At least save Luigi ("SPECIAL" World 1-boss) and keep the momentum going to see the crazy later remix levels. The late world 7 and 8 levels that started to show how cool 3D could be in this game start being equalled somewhere around SPECIAL World 2-3 and it starts really ramping up. This game gets CRAZY after you have "beaten" it.

I'm sorry, Miffy!

I will play Super Mario 3D Land soon. I love the 3DS. But the other systems have all these video games, man!

The 3D is great, but I just don't feel like playing the special levels...

Now that the game is actually challenging they take the super leaf away? I guess this is for the hardcore, I can stand the "10 second" levels. :tdown:

Yeah, I hadn't realized they'd taken away the super leaf now. I love the countdown levels (levels that give you 30 seconds on the timer and have small timer boosts sprinkled throughout, almost like a Mario checkpoint race) but the shadow Mario ones can be brutal. That ghost house in World 3 with a shadow Mario was super tough. This is the comet equivalent from Mario Galaxy, but the comets just added new challenges to the same levels. This adds new challenges, but totally changes the actual map as well. Very cool.

Oh, and Tanu, even though they removed the super leaf, you should at least be excited that they brought in the proper tanooki suit. if you have a gray leaf instead of a brown one, hold R in mid air to become a statue. Freaking rad that they did end up putting that in the game, sort of a bummer that you need to finish 8-boss to get it.

Did you notice Luigi becomes a Kistune statue? That practically makes it "my" game!:mock:

I can understand why everybody thought it was the Tanuki suit, it's a full one suit instead of the coon ears and tails you used to get in three. The fact the game lacks a real manuals where you could read the names of these power ups doesn't help much either!

I found out later that you can even get a P-Wing, but to do that you have to die even more! Which I can no longer do in this game.;(

I'd give the levels a chance, but not only do they lack the super leaf, I'm pretty sure none of them have checkpoints! It's just no fun to beat a whole level in one go.

A bunch of them have checkpoints! There are only a few I've noticed that don't. I'm onto world 5 of the special levels now, and my stock of lives has gone from the 180 that I had when I finished the "main" game, dying only a couple of times, to about 100 now after playing through four worlds of the post-game, so it definitely gets a lot harder. And yeah, I noticed Luigi's suit. It's pretty damn awesome. I even texted a friend about it who'd been playing the second file on my game whenever we hang out, being too cheap to get her own damn copy. She was disappointed that the real tanooki suit was gone and absolutely loves Luigi, so to drop that double-whammy on her was pretty great. Of course, now she'll just be trying everything she can to do nothing but play the game next time I hang out with her...

I'm up through special world 2. Just finished it. Gotten every star coin so far.

This game is really easy. X: I have like 180 lives or so, and I'd say I've died about... I dunno 40 or so times, if I'm generous? I think? Hard to keep track. A lot of my deaths are just because I'm like "oops I missed a star coin" so I go back to the checkpoint.

Yeah, I probably wouldn't have died so many times on special worlds 3 and 4 if I hadn't been getting every star coin along the way. That said, it does start to ramp up fairly quickly right around where you're at, Twig, so don't despair yet. I assume by the time I'm back at 8-boss in the special mode, it'll be quite difficult. Not Mario Galaxy 2 difficult, but significantly more than I'm used to.

I dunnoooo I just sat down and marathoned through the next three worlds. Only the castle left in SW5. There are a few outliers that were more difficult than the usual fare (mostly the ones with moving platforms!), but for the most part, still pretty easy. I've managed to bank another 15 lives.

I mean it's still a fun game. I don't really mind easy games. Also, I think the only reason it's "easy" is because the levels are so short? Like, if they were longer, there'd be more room for mistakes?

My friend likes to tell me I'm good at video games, even though I think I'm only mediocre, but I guess it's possible he's right. X:

This is the first Mario game where I really felt that the game would have been worse with a player-controlled camera. The tricks they pull with it have convinced me that they know what they're doing. It works really well.

I had really lost much of my interest in anything Mario after burning out on the "New" Super Mario games, but after Giant Bomb recommended 3D Land, I gave it a go, and it's terrific! The bite-size levels make it easy to pick up for a short session, and keeps things varied, and the 3D adds some nice touches in places (though I didn't get the «HOLY FUCKING SHIT» feeling some people talked about.) The purple anti-mario that follows you on some of the special levels I could do without, but the small level sizes makes even annoying stuff okay, since you know you won't have to struggle with them for that long. I've consistently gotten 3 coins on each level as I play, which I expected would become frustrating, but again, the small level sizes makes restarting and playing them multiple times not that big of a hassle.

The purple anti-mario that follows you on some of the special levels I could do without

ahahaha! let's goooooo!

The secret to beating the levels with the purple anti-Mario is to not run. It's significantly easier to avoid him if you just go at a relaxed pace rather than actually trying to outrun him.

Super Mario 3D Land is the only Mario game I've ever 100%ed apart from Super Mario 64 DS. That is to say, it's pretty damned good.

I think 3D Land makes a great case for stereoscopy too, not just the gimmicky puzzles, but the depth perception being actually valuable for judging the distances of jumps.

I mean, when you're playing 3D Mario games, when you want to judge jumps you're not sure about, how do you look at it? You fiddle with the camera a bit to get a few different angles on the jump so you can figure out what the exact distance and direction your jump needs to be.

In this one, the camera is fixed, but you can rely on the depth perception offered by the 3DS's autostereoscopic screen instead.

I don't know about you guys, but when i played that game, i noticed myself screaming through stages very quickly when i had the 3DS's autostereoscopy enabled, and found that i was missing jumps and dying a lot when it was disabled.

Beyond that, it helps that it's also just genuinely one of the best Mario games in years, it's fantastic.

You never 100%ed Super Mario World? That game was amazing!

I did!

Man, fuck S7-4. Fuck S7-4.

edit: Right after posting that I tried again and completed it easily.

You never 100%ed Super Mario World? That game was amazing!

At the risk of being shunned; my first console was the N64 and my first handheld was the Gameboy Advance, both in Christmas of 2001. I'm fairly young by most standards of the good part of the internet, and wasn't allowed to play most video games as a kid, so most of the classics are new to me. I only played Super Mario World for the first time in summer of 2009. I have two copies of it now (an original SNES copy and a GBA cart), but since I have no 2D platforming chops whatsoever, having done most of my platforming in a post-2D world, it's way too hard for me. I hope to finish it one day, though.

In a weird bit of anachronistic fortune, I did have a hand-me-down 486 computer as a kid, along with a hand-me-down copy of The Secret of Monkey Island, which came out before I was born. So I did play that! I didn't beat it until I was in high school playing it on ScummVM though.

Don't worry, gang! I'm still older than all the Idle Thumbs podcast participants and nearly all of you commentors.

Somewhere I have a photo of me getting 100% on all levels in Yoshi's Island for the SNES. I took this photo to send into Nintendo Power, but the refresh rate of my television left a scan line against part of the score. The photo was therefore useless. Ah, youth!

Making people feel old is what makes me feel young. I feed on it, like a vampire.

Metroid Prime came out nearly half my lifetime ago!

Jurassic Park was the first film I ever saw in a theater!

I have never seen a Sega console older than the Dreamcast in person!

I take the internet for granted!

When the last Harry Potter book came out, I was still younger than Harry was in the novel!

The Simpsons is older than I am!

Making people feel old is what makes me feel young. I feed on it, like a vampire.

Luckily I can spin most of those; Jurassic Park was the first PG-13 film I saw in a theatre. That fact doesn't make me young, though; just sheltered.

Also, tonight I dug up and scanned one of the photos too ugly to send into Nintendo Power. But thanks to the photo, I will always have the memories of Touch Fuzzy, Get Dizzy and Poochy Ain't Stupid.

post-8337-0-06348000-1358913407_thumb.jpg