Sign in to follow this  
Salka

I just want a new PC, is that so much to ask?

Sweet advice guys, thanks so much!

Thunderpeel, that is a sweet photo of my wallet you posted.

Patters, in that photo you posted I swear it says "Dick to empty your basket".

I think I'm probably going to follow your advice almost exactly as I know approximately nothing about anything :D

Sweet advice guys, thanks so much!

Thunderpeel, that is a sweet photo of my wallet you posted.

Patters, in that photo you posted I swear it says "Dick to empty your basket".

I think I'm probably going to follow your advice almost exactly as I know approximately nothing about anything :D

The offer on that Ram is now over, any DDR3 by corsair or kingston is good.

WTF, so I just went to buy that stuff now that I have some money, and it's all a lot more than in your screenshot. WTF? I feel sad now. I was really hyped up about the prospect of glueing it all together myself :(

WTF, so I just went to buy that stuff now that I have some money, and it's all a lot more than in your screenshot. WTF? I feel sad now. I was really hyped up about the prospect of glueing it all together myself :(

GLUE?!?!

Untitled.png

From Scan.co.uk

Again no hard drive but choosing one is down to your needs just make sure it says Sata and 3.5.

And sticky-back plastic!

Thanks Patters, you're like, TOTES hero right now.

So my own new PC just arrived (nothing special gaming wise, but still way ahead of my old one, which is on its last legs anyway).

Now begins the painful process of transferring data.

I had a look at http://www.pickmeapp.com but I've decided to try using Windows Easy transfer first, as PickMeApp doesn't recognise a lot of my older software/

Am I doing the right thing? is there something better? Tell me now! Or later, as the process is likely to take several hours no matter what I do.

I usually just do it all manually. Not sure whether to recommend it instead of using an app, though.

In the past I have always done it manually, but I have a bunch of stuff now that I need for working from home and I want to keep my downtime to a minimum. Transferring files is fine but I'd like to avoid all the tedious re-installation of every piece of software. What some of these applications do is transfer the software "in situ" so that arrives as if was installed on the new machine.

Yes, looks great and I think I'll be using it to install all my web stuff and minor apps. But for major lumps of licensed software I need to migrate.

Well, that's done. Do you know what's awesome? Chrome sync-up. Transferred all my bookmarks just by signing in. Sweet.

Most of the other stuff went fine. Took about 24 hours with Windows Easy Transfer. Most things seem fine but one or two pieces of software might need a proper install. Oh well, not bad all in all.

So what the first game you think I should try on this thing?

Edited by DanJW

Little Big Adventure.

Did you know Fred and friends are working on a remake of LBA1? No? Well, they are.

Did you know Fred and friends are working on a remake of LBA1? No? Well, they are.

No, I hadn't heard. Just read the interview, and, just to be clear – has the remake actually been confirmed? Reading the interview, I almost got the feeling the :-) was more of a ;-). Anyway, I get sort of sad when I think about an LBA remake or an LBA 3, as I always imagine sequels to modern sequels to games I loved years ago never get the treatment/budget they deserve, and end up a disappointment. I guess the first example I can think of is the Broken Sword 2 sequels. BS and BS2 were beautiful games, with fantastic graphics, animations, music and voice acting. When they did the third game (and a fourth?), suddenly it became this budget production thing; maybe not intentionally, but they never came close to the level of quality and polish of the first two games.

Oh, and Simon the Shit Sorcerer 3D, the most disappointing sequel I've ever had the disappointment of having to review, back when I did some reviews for a site which no longer exists and I can't remember what it was called, which may be for the best.

Ended up trying Mass Effect first. Shiny!

I did run into a problem; Windows 7 has a weird attitude to read-only folders. It ignores them, according to Microsoft, and so they feel no need to fix the buggy attribute changing applied to them.

All the files transferred from my old PC have been made read-only for some reason. And I couldn't make them read-write; it kept reverting them to read-only, and coming up with annoying messages about 'ownership' (a new attribute added in Vista?).

This is bad because Steam and a lot of other apps won't run ion read-only folder. It was mighty annoying.

Luckily the issue seems resolved for now, by turning 'User Access Control' settings down to zero - thought I would mention it here in case anyone else runs into the same problem.

tl;dr : Windows 7 is mostly good but has annoying quirks.

Luckily the issue seems resolved for now, by turning 'User Access Control' settings down to zero - thought I would mention it here in case anyone else runs into the same problem.

:frusty:

"I solved a problem I didn't understand by removing the security features of my OS - Win! :tup:"

Top tip: NEVER turn off UAC. Especially if you don't understand what it's for.

The reason Windows 7 isn't liking your folders copied straight from your old OS -- and why are you copying your Program Files folder over? (le sigh) -- is because they belong to a different user. And another user (i.e. your current one on your new computer) can't get access to delete the files there... for security reasons. Windows ownership is a bit annoying, it's true, but a better solution would be to give your current user R/W rights to the folder and all subfolders.

Another solution would be to allow Steam to be installed from scratch, and then download all your games again.

The worst solution would be to permanently disable the most important security feature Windows has, just so you can play Mass Effect.

:frusty:

"I solved a problem I didn't understand by removing the security features of my OS - Win! :tup:"

Yes, quite :P

The worst solution would be to permanently disable the most important security feature Windows has, just so you can play Mass Effect.

Once, many moons ago, I deleted Windows 3.something in order to make room for Frontier: Elite II. I'm not saying there weren't times it would have been useful to have an operating system beyond DOS, but damn Frontier: Elite II was a good game.

Just thought I'd throw that out there.

Once, many moons ago, I deleted Windows 3.something in order to make room for Frontier: Elite II. I'm not saying there weren't times it would have been useful to have an operating system beyond DOS, but damn Frontier: Elite II was a good game.

Just thought I'd throw that out there.

Hey, that's probably a really secure solution... Your OS can't get a virus if it's been deleted :)