Sign in to follow this  
Erkki

Media Player Apps

To not spam the Life thread more with iTunes etc., I made a new thread.

What does everyone use for playing music on their computer? I used to use iTunes in Windows (and still do on Mac), but switched to Songbird some time ago. I like the music library interface in Songbird more, but the playlists are sometimes buggy and it doesn't seem to receive updates/fixes often (unless it does that silently -- it hasn't suggested an update for months and months if I remember correctly).

On Ubuntu I really like Banshee (I think that's what the default app is called), better than Songbird anyway.

I'm an old fogey and still use winamp if it's music I have on my pc. Otherwise I'm using spotify. I have itunes basically to get podcasts.

iTunes on OS X and basically nothing on PC, although I have iTunes installed there as well. However, I mostly use Spotify nowadays, even for the songs I have on my hard drive. It just simpler that way.

I use Winamp because I don't know any better.

My experiences with iTunes have been variously unpleasant, ranging from completely failing to work on several computers, to just being a bit overbearing in aesthetic and function in terms of what I actually want from it. Perhaps my aspirations are limited, but I don't really want a great deal from a music player other than the ability to play music. Still, there may well be better options for me out there; I've just not spent much serious effort looking.

This post will not contain useful information about music players.

I use Spotify, though I'm also trying out Wimp at the moment, and it's looking competitive. I've given up on trying to have a huge database of music files and accepted that I'll let someone else do the cataloging and I can worry about paying the monthly fee instead. The downside is the fucking lawyers, labels, artists or whoever they are, always preventing some artists from being available – the upside is that I don't have to worry about downloading, ripping, storing and tagging. At first my inner completionist nerd struggled badly with this, but I've given in completely and it feels... all right.

I still use foobar2000 like did years ago, but I don't listen to much music through the computer anymore as I mainly use my phone and Google Music 4.0 player in that.

I just wish the proper Google Music service would become available outside of USA.

I use iTunes, I know a lot of people hate it but I have no problems with it and it makes managing my i-devices simple. I run Windows.