Thyroid

Torchlight II

Does it at least still have transmuting? I found two of the same type of gem and was all excited to combine them, but I couldn't find where to do it.

You get access to a transmuter in Act II.

Toblix, the eccentric billionaire handing out random free games.

You can't buy my love.

yes you can.

Toblix, the eccentric billionaire handing out random free games.

You can't buy my love.

yes you can.

Works for me. The redistribution of gaming wealth, rather.

I lost my entire morning to this game. I was expecting it to be good from everything I investigated, but I enjoyed myself way too much. Video games are time travel like that, sometimes. I got my copy via Steam gifting, and I feel massively indebted to the friend who did so.

And I'm pretty sure enchanting is still in the game. First of all, there's an achievement. But there's no NPC in the first act hub that does it. I did come across a goblin or something in a dungeon that offered the service though.

Yeah, I lust after the Embermage, but all my friends love magic users, so I'm playing an Engineer to tank. I've got a bulldog and muttonchops, but the theme's kinda thrown off by the really weird tribal gear you get around level 12. I look like a very confused hippie.

Isn't there something in the options to turn off gear changing how you look?

If not, I'm sure there will be mods that give you a fixed look. Engineers are the one class I was expecting to have a "meh" attitude toward but when I played one first hand I was proven wrong. Actually, a lot of my assumptions about this game were defeated.

Isn't there something in the options to turn off gear changing how you look?

If not, I'm sure there will be mods that give you a fixed look. Engineers are the one class I was expecting to have a "meh" attitude toward but when I played one first hand I was proven wrong. Actually, a lot of my assumptions about this game were defeated.

Well, I'm halfway through act 2 now and have a Persian-themed kit. Equally unthematic, but I'm adjusting.

You get access to a transmuter in Act II.

For some reason, I found the transmuter really alarming when I first encountered him. A blank list of recipes and the encouragement to "experiment"? Terrifying.

But now he's my number-two money sink, after the enchanter, of course. Three gems give you a random gem equivalent to the level of the lowest one. Four unique items give you a random unique equivalent to the level of the lowest one. Two set items give you a random set item equivalent to the level of the lower set, I think? It's a great way to dispose of gear that's theoretically valuable but worthless to your character.

I keep using the transmuter because I never get any unique items that my class can use... Obviously the result is something my class can't use anyway, but eventually it will happen?

I love how fast paced this game is, I thought I couldn't do anything in 30 minutes, but I cleared a whole area with dungeon included and I leveled up two! Of course, in Torchlight it's rare not to get a level up after playing it for 30 minutes.

Torchlight II is among my top three of the year. Runic hooked me up with Steam codes to give away, and I think everyone should play it. If for whatever reason you can't afford it (please be honest), let me know. I'll give two out to people who actually need it.

... I don't like having my quest objectives visible on screen at all times.

There's a little red and yellow arrow button by the on-screen objectives that push them off-screen if you click on it.

Every map display this game has to offer is annoying. The right-side / left-side display almost nails it, but the map bleeds over the center eventually and then sometimes you mouse over icons. Bleh. Not to say that's a deal breaker.

Building up my Berserker to be crit happy, lots of passives. The base skill you start out with seems plenty for taking out groups of enemies, though you kinda gotta wait for them to be around you.

I'm putting this off because I don't want to feel guilty for playing another RPG after I just paid $60 for Guild Wars 2. I hope its worth the wait. I really liked the podcast with Max Schaefer that Idle Thumbs did a while back.

Every map display this game has to offer is annoying. The right-side / left-side display almost nails it, but the map bleeds over the center eventually and then sometimes you mouse over icons. Bleh. Not to say that's a deal breaker.

I found it slightly more palatable once I realized that one of the sliders in the bottom right of the options screen controls opacity, but yeah, agreed. I just put it in the little viewer in the top right and zoom all the way out.

It looks like the final act (?) takes places in "Transylvania", if you know what I mean. I'm glad the scenario changes before you get tired of it, although I'm pretty all of them have a metric ton of undead, only it seems each area has it's own type of undead, so it's less annoying.

Woah, "Swampsylvania" has zombies that explode their skin off and become skellingtons! 8O

By the way, I love it when a chest is an obvious trigger to make every undead enemy area to start moving... BRING IT!

Seismic Stomp + Coup de Grace is a pleasing, simple combo.

Yeah, I realized that long after I'd invested in a much more complicated "Supercharge + Charge Reconstitution + Charge Domination" build. Kinda wish there was a full respec option... I never take any damage, but it takes me a while to kill stuff.

Also, I discovered near the end of act two that, not only are there secret rooms in some dungeons like in the first game, but hidden in some of those rooms are parts for a secret quest to rebuild the bard-robot from the first game. The internet claims there are five, which open a secret level. I'm drowning.

Yeah, I realized that long after I'd invested in a much more complicated "Supercharge + Charge Reconstitution + Charge Domination" build. Kinda wish there was a full respec option... I never take any damage, but it takes me a while to kill stuff.

Give the game about a month, I'm sure a mod will come out for full respec.

Give the game about a month, I'm sure a mod will come out for full respec.

Well, I don't really mind the system as it works now, since it does a lot to have permanency of choice here, but I do wish there was an optional respec quest or something at the end, like in The Witcher 2, acknowledging that, having beaten the game, you probably understand your class' potential better than you did in act one.

Also, I discovered near the end of act two that, not only are there secret rooms in some dungeons like in the first game, but hidden in some of those rooms are parts for a secret quest to rebuild the bard-robot from the first game. The internet claims there are five, which open a secret level. I'm drowning.

I never discovered a secret room.... but I did find a robot head and it's driving me crazy since I can't get to it. It looks like I won't be able to until they make a guide, so I'll forget about it.

PS: Can you believe my PET got a useful unique item before I did? XP

Okay, I've found all but the last robot part.

Some of them were really easy (light all the torches in the act one Widow's Veil) and some of them were horribly unintuitive (shoot at all the gongs in the act two Tower of the Moon), but I'm proud to say that I figure three of the four out myself.

At this point, I'd rather it be an NPC than a secret level. Another place to kill monsters is less exciting that getting the gambling or enchanting guy, or the girl who sells random set items. I love collecting sets, if only to see the art design coalesce.

I've fallen for this game so hard... like, Chris Remo playing Torchlight circa Episode 50 hard. I was up until six in the morning last night dicking around act three. I've lost track of time playing games before, most particularly with Crusader Kings 2, but not since early high school have I been playing a game, noticed the clock, and made a decision to quit in the next five minutes, yet kept on playing for three more hours in an attempt to "find a stopping place". It's bad, guys.