Thyroid

Torchlight II

I don't get their timing at all. First they almost released right after Diablo 3, now they're releasing right after Borderlands 2, another loot-driven game?

Torchlight 2 is different enough from Borderlands 2 to not make it a big issue, I think? Different genres, different settings?

I might be the minority, but I don't give to cents about Borderlands 2, but I'll certainly be picking up Torchlight 2. From a systems standpoint, yeah they are similar, but play style and draw seems completely different.

I've got em both and it's a totally different thing for me. Torchlight is a thing on my computer that I can play solo while watching tv (although I'm sure I'll give coop a shot at some point). Borderlands, I'll play on the console instead of watching tv. And based on the respective amount of time I put into the first of each series, apparently I prefer multitasking by a lot (er...or maybe it's just that I take the laptop with me when I go traveling, I dunno).

I might be the minority, but I don't give to cents about Borderlands 2, but I'll certainly be picking up Torchlight 2. From a systems standpoint, yeah they are similar, but play style and draw seems completely different.

I'm in your boat. A few friends are picking up Borderlands 2, but I'm just waiting two extra days for this.

I actually found the first Borderlands really off-putting. There's always a razor's edge of enjoyment for me with FPS games, and Borderlands was simply doing too much to walk it straight. I also wasn't crazy about Torchlight either, but the beta for its sequel really really impressed me right after Diablo III left me cold, so I feel good preordering. The question is, Embermage or Engineer?

Listening to the soundtrack just makes me more sad this isn't Diablo. Yes it's good, but the art style always bugged me, but, god damn, this soundtrack makes me fall in love with Diablo 2 all over again.

I'm in your boat. A few friends are picking up Borderlands 2, but I'm just waiting two extra days for this.

Same here. I'm going to be working a lot of overtime during the next few weeks and I'll only have room for one game to consume my free time. I might get Borderlands during the inevitable Steam holiday sale if the price drops.

That's really my only point, you have to kind of choose one over the other. Because both games are pretty damn time-intensive. But whatever, releasing games is rarely done in ideal circumstances, so it's likely they didn't have a lot of choice in the matter.

Well, with online multiplayer I feel like thumbs will be playing Torchlight 2 for a long time. It seems like the original was a big hit around here (I loved it... got a bit sidetracked but spent a lot more time on it than I did on Diablo 3) so I don't think it's going anywhere.

I've already gotten Borderlands 2, having forgotten about Torchlight 2's release date being so close. So my decision has been made for now!

I was just going to create my character and then stop to eat dinner.

1.5 hours later I decided I really should have dinner.

:tup:

I love Torchlight II so far, the pacing is perfect for me. I obviously picked the magic user, but I had to spend a while deciding which pet to use. In the end, I picked the cliche wolf.

Every spell seems useful and I can actually rely on magic, not like the other RPG I've played where I have to use a pathetic weapons for 30 minutes after casting just ONE spell! XP

Yeah, I lust after the Embermage, but all my friends love magic users, so I'm playing an Engineer to tank. I've got a bulldog and muttonchops, but the theme's kinda thrown off by the really weird tribal gear you get around level 12. I look like a very confused hippie.

I can't find this information anywhere and am waiting to be approved for the runic forums, but maybe someone here knows. If I purchase T2 from the website, do I get a steam code as well? Also, if I get T2 from the website, is it just a stand alone client, or do I need the internet in order to play it?

(Im still without internet at home and would love to play it this weekend, so want to know if I can grab it at work and play it offline at home.)

I can't find this information anywhere and am waiting to be approved for the runic forums, but maybe someone here knows. If I purchase T2 from the website, do I get a steam code as well? Also, if I get T2 from the website, is it just a stand alone client, or do I need the internet in order to play it?

(Im still without internet at home and would love to play it this weekend, so want to know if I can grab it at work and play it offline at home.)

Don't know about the Steam/Runic site question, but an internet connection is not required to play single player, or multiplayer on a LAN. If you can download at work and then carry your computing device home you should be set. :)

Sweet, thanks seedpod. Idealy I'd love to just have it on steam, but we'll see how bad I want to play this weekend. I did buy Flotilla twice, so really I can probably just wait for a sale if I ever need T2 in steam.

Gone. The game doesn't have that anymore, it's one of the first changes they confirmed.

Does it at least still have transmuting? I found two of the same type of gem and was all excited to combine them, but I couldn't find where to do it.

I've only played for about an hour so far, but I feel kind of weird about it. I hope I get to go into an actual dungeon soon -- the areas I've been in so far have just been incredibly bland, flat green fields, which was disappointing because I really liked the sense of depth in the first game. I also feel like I'm finding a lot less loot and it seems like there are fewer skills available for me to put points into when I level up (this may be false), and I don't like having my quest objectives visible on screen at all times. And this is a stupid thing to complain about, but I really hate the font they use when you pick up gold or get a critical hit or anything like that. Hopefully I'll get used to these things as I play further, but so far it's just not doing it for me the way Torchlight 1 immediately did.

Font change and UI mods I'm sure will be one of the fastest things to be created, there might already be some out there. The mod scene in general should be great because of the hype surrounding this game and the easier mod access through Steam stuff.