Thyroid

Torchlight II

Torchlight II is supposedly coming out this year. In a time period where Skyrim, Uncharted 3, Assassin's Creed Revelations, and I don't even know what else because the games industry is too stupid to not ship everything in Q4 and hi, welcome to the end of this sentence.

Torchlight II is out soon.

Are you excited? I'm excited. They seem to have addressed my main problems with the first (which I loved, mind you) and even added in multiplayer. (Which I can't use because the lag would mean I was more hindrance than help, but hey.)

Are you excited? I'm excited. They seem to have addressed my main problems with the first (which I loved, mind you)

What do you think the main problems were with Torchlight? For me it was just that it got boring, probably because being so generic. I played until level 13 or something around there (or maybe it was around 20), but it didn't really provide enough variety or interesting stuff for me to want to keep going. Actually I had the same issue with Diablo 2, never finished that.

I suspect that if you couldn't maintain interest in Diablo 2, this may just not be your genre. That's sort of the peak of it.

That said, I am quite excited for Torchlight 2, despite knowing next to nothing about it. I actually didn't finish the first, largely because the abilities felt overly similar to one another (and also didn't feel all that much more powerful as you levelled them up) and I felt like I'd seen all that the customization had to offer around level 30-ish. If they put a bit more variety in, that should be enough to carry me to the end.

I suspect that if you couldn't maintain interest in Diablo 2, this may just not be your genre. That's sort of the peak of it.

Yeah, probably. But I did enjoy Diablo 1, Revenant (although it was awful in many ways) and Darkstone, and to a lesser extent Dungeon Siege 1. I guess they had some goofiness or novelty to them that compensated for my non-genre-tunedness.

I suspect Diablo 3 will be interesting for me as well, but not sure about Torchlight 2.

What do you think the main problems were with Torchlight? For me it was just that it got boring, probably because being so generic. I played until level 13 or something around there (or maybe it was around 20), but it didn't really provide enough variety or interesting stuff for me to want to keep going. Actually I had the same issue with Diablo 2, never finished that.

Did you play D2 when it was new, or years after the fact?

Because I can't fucking stand that game anymore. It is old and decrepit. I loved it so much when I had it as a kid, but these days I can't even begin to dream of playing it.

Torchlight (1) was just so much better. Only thing it was missing was multiplayer. Can't wait for the sequel.

Diablo 3 is a game I would be interested in if Blizzard was the Blizzard of yesteryear instead of this year. They are kind of boring, now.

Are you excited?

The first one is my most-played game on Steam at 70+ hours if that's any indication. Torchlight (and I'm hoping Torchlight 2) occupies a different gaming role for me than Skyrim/Uncharted 3/Assassin's Creed Revelations in that it's something I can kind of tune out and play (on normal difficulty anyways) while simultaneously watching something on the TV.

My main complaint with the first one would be that there's all sorts of issues with equipment and (some) abilities not scaling with enemies properly in the postgame infinite dungeon thingy. Which is not that big a complaint, since it's generally more interesting to start over with a new character class by that point anyways.

Sorry; I thought I replied to this.

Some of my problems were similar to yours, but I've come to realize that's just the nature of aRPGs. They're all essentially the same.

However, changing up environment and weather can do wonders. Get your player decapitating in the daylight and at the 100th decapitation they'll get bored, but add a rainstorm and lightning and suddenly, atmospherically, it changes, and it becomes fresh again. They've added environments, made character classes a bit more varied and gotten rid of that one single, eternal dungeon.

So I should say: They fixed the things that aren't inherent to aRPGs, which is nice.

Actually I had the same issue with Diablo 2, never finished that.

As much as I love Diablo, I did always stop on Diablo 2 in the jungle. I've see the other parts of the game as I just watched my friends play, but by that point(and I think the thumbs commented it was the worst part of the game too) I just felt like I've done everything the game has to offer.

Torchlight I played much, much, much less. I love those guys for what they have done and they created a really nice game with Torchlight, but the setting/art style just didn't capture me as much as Diablo did. A lot of how much I like a game depends on that; just my preference, I don't think Torchlight's setting/style was bad, just too goofy for what I'd want out of that kind of game.

And even the shitty wizard is more fun that Rage's dice minigame.

The above post is clearly spam and will be promptly deleted, but gives me an excuse to ask:

Is there a goddamn release date, yet?

if they want to annoy me they should release it mid november

How is it? Gameplay videos indicated it was a more fast-paced than the original, which I'm not sure is a good thing.

I'm excited. I haven't pre-ordered yet, but I just might. Buying a 4-pack with three other people seems like the reasonable thing to do, once again.

So, based off of a suggestion, I was wondering if anyone had an extra copy of the original Torchlight? I'd appreciate being gifted it. I own it, personally, so this is meant for someone else.

If possible.

Sorry if this is rude.

kroms: are you on my steam friends list? if not, then add me, so I can gift you a copy.

If the shitty wizard does make a comeback, I'm hoping for some way to respond to that always-delightful 'and removes all your enchantments!'. Nothing violent, it's not really his fault he's a shitty wizard, but perhaps a complaints process so we can be assured it'll show up on his performance evaluation.

Otherwise, it might be time for a shitty wizard boycott, and I don't think anyone wants that.

Speaking of shitty wizards, I was playing Torchlight today. I had (note the past tense) amazing shoulder armor for my vanquisher, had like +15 dexterity and other useful enchantments. Of course I was greedy, so I went to meet the wizard. 1% chance of disenchant, no problem. First try and it was all over.

So, I moved my cursor behind the shitty wizard, held down shift and clicked. As the gunshot was still figuratively ringing in my ears, I quickly turned away, to not see what happened (or didn't happen) to him. In that playthrough, no wizards inhabit Torchlight.

In between bouts of D3 hardcore stress, I finally beat Torchlight on very hard hardcore, but not before an enchantment shrine ruined the best fucking bow I'd ever had up to that point. (I was playing Vanquisher.) I almost died, but managed to come back and find another, better one later. But goddamnit. At least it wasn't the wizard what did it?

Also, Torchlight II is neat. I like the engineer and the outlander. I didn't play it much before my allotted time ran out, though, because I'd rather just wait for the full game. There're a lot of nitpicky issues that I'm hoping are just because the game is still a WIP. I don't remember what any of those issues WERE, now, but at the time they really bugged me!

So one thing I was talking to my friends about while playing D3 was how I wished there was a target dummy in the town and how annoying it was having to try out stuff on random monsters. Well when I was playing the TL2 beta the other day before it ended I went in to town and BAM, there's a target dummy. I smiled.

My friend was saying the same thing the other night in D3. "This game needs target dummies like in Dungeon Defenders" Glad to hear they are in TL2.