Erkki

Unepic

Unepic is pretty sweet. An RPG/Metroidvania mix.

R7BDPr8zllU

Played through the demo and liked it a lot. Too bad it can be bought only via PayPal.

This game is great; played the demo a bit, and then bought the game.

I really like the look of it, and it seems fun, but also like one of those merciless indie games. How forgiving is it with players who have little patience for replaying stuff?

It's very forgiving.

There's an easy mode which has regeneration and auto-saving.

This is currently on the Steam Flash sale.  Anyone tried the co-op?  I'd buy two copies of it if the co-op was worthwhile. 

Is the co-op online?

EDIT: I don't know why I ask questions that are easily Googleable! The answer is YES! I didn't even know it had co-op at all! I own the game. It actually is pretty fun. (It's also god terribly cheesy writing, which is right up my alley. When I say terrible, I mean it. And cheesy. NOT FOR EVERYONE! Easily ignorable.)

I think I'll just buy one copy today and see what I think of it.  Will buy a second one if I really dig it, or maybe just hope that they add in local co-op down the road.  Just went reading through some of the developer comments on it.  They just added actual controller support, which was one of the limiting factors to having local co-op.  Without having official controller support built in, they couldn't figure out a way for two people to share one keyboard due to the number of buttons used.  So maybe local will get patched in now. 

I remember playing the beta/demo of this and liking the gameplay but being put off by the writing. Is the writing still mean-spirited 'banter' or did they improve that?

Voice acting? That's new... I got it in a bundle ages ago.

Is the ending part still more like a strategy/tower defense game? I remember having to play as some elf and take command of his troops or something.. And maybe you could choose sides?

Well I finished it. The game itself is actually fun and I really enjoyed it. Although it was a bit frustrating in certain instances. For the most part playing on the highest difficulty worked out well. But then I'd run into a brick wall after a couple hours of smooth sailing, which I'd break through for more smooth sailing, and then another wall, etc.

The writing. At first it was just bad and cheesy and bad and I enjoyed it on that level. Then it wore out its welcome. Then it got offensive.

One of the last lines in the game (warning: offensive):

The "joke" is that there is a nerd sitting at his computer, just finished playing Unepic. Breaking the fourth wall! Complains about the ending of unepic. Then some enemies jump into his room through a portal. "RAPE AND KILL HER!" The dark phantom screams. It's not okay to dislike the ending of this game. Oh, but the other "joke" is that it's not a girl. It's a guy with long hair. Ha. Ha. Ha. "OKAY SODOMIZE AND KILL HIM!" Then the skeletons say "we're just skeletons, we don't have penises and can't sodomize him". "OKAY JUST GO WITH THE OL' DISMEMBERING, THEN!" And then they kill the nerd.

I wish I was making that up.

Also, there was a TON of copyright infringement. Not even parody (though there is some of that, poorly done). Just straight up dropping Zoidberg in the sewers for a one-off gag, or being able to buy the Death Star as a minipet, or etc. Weird shit. Were this a "Real Game", somebody would surely be in trouble right now...

Good game scarred by horrible and offensive and unfunny writing.

This game is from a Spaniard, we're notorious for our "creativity", half the comics I grew up with were this "original", as in complete rip-offs/parodies and the humor? Sounds just about the same kind of humor you see in our country in general...

Which is why I go out of my way to watch/read/play things from any country than mine. I hate our "humor".

Haha wow. I had no idea that was such a problem in Spain. That's awful. U:

Side note: I went for cheesemints because I find them enjoyable enough in this kind of game. Also more accurately because they were built in challenges in the game. Anyway I got them all except two: 5000 enemy kills and 10000 enemy kills. What kind of shitty cheesemint design allows me to earn every single one without even getting half of the kills I need for the most vrindy cheesemint in the game?

I wonder, is the multiplayer any good?

That's another thing about our country, we don't seem to like "happy" endings... Come to think of it, this game has two horrible ending, mine

was about getting married and obviously, it's a fate worse than death, and then they kill the guy who dissed the game.

In our country failure seems to be hilarious, since everything is a ripoff, but a failure of a ripoff... "Clever and Smart" are secret agent parodies, which means they are complete idiots and always mess up in the end... or save the day, only to mess up worse that if they hadn't done nothing. And that basically sums up our comedies here...

Except in the "olden" days where they just had a "hick" and some boobies... I wish I was kidding.

I guess it's not really derailing if I'm explaining why our comedy tends to be terrible, right? Also, while we do have some actual talent here, most creative Spaniards now work in the US.

I'll have to stop before this becomes a full rant on how terrible comedy tends to be here. But yeah, this is just like the ending of any comic I was brought up reading in my country...

It's not like this thread is active otherwise! What about Spain makes these things happen? I admit I'm not well versed in most European cultures, but is Spain just a terrible place to live or something? So people deal with that by making fun of how shitty life can be? I don't know, just random guessing here.

I am fascinated that we've finally found the country that Epic Movie was made for.

Well, like I said before our creative people tend to leave our country, but this doesn't make this a horrible country, it's horrible for me since I don't like the sense of humor here...

Our comedy is very stagnant here, as far as I know we only have one big comedy club, which I think only exists so we can have monologues from our TV channels, but there is some hope since they finally show new blood on it.

I just don't get our comedy, I keep waiting for the punchline, only to find out the joke is already over. Some jokes feel like they are all set up and no punch line... 

But it's not all bad here, we had a show about a pharmacy that was good enough to be redone in a few other countries and I well, I don't even know how to describe "Bola de Cristal", but it was brilliant. And while all our comics are parodies, our "Superman", "Superlopez" is actually pretty decent.

And no... while our comedy is bad and I don't get "our" sense of humor, we will NEVER be Epic Movie bad, not to mention our comedy is not that "hyperactive".

Oddly enough, the reported terribleness of the story/writing is actually making me want to play this.  I enjoy the occasional train wreck.  Unfortunately it's refusing to run, completely crashes my computer about 10 seconds after starting.  Tried a few things, but then gave up, as I have other games that won't take as much work.

Huh. That's weird. If there's one problem I didn't have with the game, it was stability. Never crashed or did anything weird for me!

I'm so "lucky"!