Sign in to follow this  
miffy495

Space Chem

So I got this in the latest Humble Bundle, and damn is it addictive. I almost bought it last Steam sale, but was turned off by already feeling overwhelmed after playing only the demo. Since I got it as a bonus though, and also since my laptop is about to die for reals and that is the only game that I can run stably on it, I fired it up for a bit yesterday. I quickly found myself completely engrossed, and when I worked out how to string together a huge track to build an acetylene molecule or when I had to create carbon monoxide in one plant and then ship it to another to turn it into formaldehyde I was struck by this overwhelming feeling of accomplishment. Seriously, I'm barely an eighth into this game and it's already making me feel like the smartest person in the world. I'm currently grappling with the problem of how to stick three hydrogen onto a molecule when I can only get the tracks to cross the drop point for it twice. In typing that though, I just gave myself an idea. Time to hop back into the game, I suppose. This shit is crazy. Anyone else been playing it?

EDIT: My plan worked! Problem solved! Now I'm stuck on the one right after that...

Edited by miffy495

I played it for a while a while ago. I was surprised by how complex, for a game, the interface was. Almost reminded me of some electronics circuit design software (or Simulink™ or Labview™ or whatever). It felt a bit too clumsy at first but I soon got used to it and am not sure how it should be improved.

Nevertheless, the game is really interesting and I will definitely play some more when I have the time. It is somewhat similar to the things I have been doing at work lately (the process flow part – I'm not making compounds), which felt quite weird at first.

I cannot recommend this game highly enough.

Get it. Get iiiiiit. Also, I'm sure there is another thread about this.

I also recommend getting this game. It's almost certainly my favourite puzzle game of all time.

The other thread is here. Scrolling through it I realize I actually haven't beaten the DLC campaign. The introduction of the teleportation thingy really makes stuff complicated.

I like this game too, but I never finished it. After a while it starts to feel too much like programming (because it is) and I start getting annoyed at the limited instruction set.

Thus game is great, I am kind of disappointed that it wasn't secretly exploiting players to optimise real life assembly productions.

Yeah, I was fascinated with this at first, and thought it was the best puzzle game ever, but then at one point it really did get too complicated -- the limited instruction set annoyance comparison fits perfectly.