Lu 

Id's Rage

Still doesn't explain the low quality of things you have to interact with. Most elevator switches have crappy textures.

Btw, the mission of Sandy (in the bar) never ends. You can keep doing those tasks until infinity. Yes, I did spend a shit load of time trying to complete that quest.

I installed the game yesterday, all of it's whopping 21gb plus the 700mb Sewers DLC.

Funny thing was that Steam was acting all strange yesterday at least for me. I put both the Sewers code and the Anarchy edition code to Steam and for both it said Rage Sewers DLC before installing those. One installed 700mb and other just 1mb. I got all worried, but I checked the properties of Rage in Steam and both are actually listed there. Rage Authority pack is the double barrel shotgun etc. I guess.

So am I right in guessing that the Authority pack is actually included in the normal installation, but can be unlocked with a key code that is unique?

PS. Also weird that DNF free DLC was showing me Rage's logo when I unlocked it. My Steam is broken.

Edited by Kolzig

Sewers DLC?

Is that about the thing they talk quite a bit about in the game but is actually just one sewer? And the DLC ads the rest?

Oh.. I also have Sewers DLC installed. So, that single sewer I visited (twice) is the whole DLC? It's about 10 minutes of gameplay ....

The final mission was a bit of a let down.

Instead of an epic boss fight or something and the end, it was just an single closed room with a few waves of imps attacking you.

I had to try it out yesterday for around 30 minutes and yeah unfortunately I'm suffering from the ATI effect, but I'm not going to let that pull me down.

The game looks awesome, some specific textures do look incredibly low res, but it's ok as long as I'm moving. The voice acting seems pretty great, I'd liked the fact that Doom3 voice guy was the president's voice in the Ark.

So i played Rage. That was a game. Id made a game. Egghhh...

I respect that Id tried to do something new here, not just settle into their old habits again. If you were just checking off a list it would look like all the pieces are here for a really great game, but it just feels so soulless. Well-made and ineffectual, i think.

The downtime between real missions isn't interesting, none of that stuff is deep or involved enough to be worth all the time it takes. You go through it though, and then the game gets going, and it's actually so unbelievably easy that there's just no spark to any of the action. (I played through on hard.) There's also fucking invisible walls just absolutely everywhere, and a garbage non-ending. I was kind of just bored by the time i got to the end, very disappointed.

Also, that sewers DLC is more than just one sewer, there's like ten hidden throughout the two major areas in the game.

Man, and the AI cheats like crazy in the rallies, there's always one outlying opponent that is just sitting wherever the next checkpoint will randomly appear. It makes the rallies far more difficult than the races or the time trials.

I don't know should I blame ATI/AMD or id Software or both. This is just fucking horrible coding.

This was yesterday:

http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/595827150670232948/07B0F3ED6F7AB4B046C976BB3474938F55A6D782/

I got that fixed by manually adding some Ati dll files to Rage's folder.

And this today right in the middle of a level, it did work for 30 minutes first:

http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/596953697672487400/7D6854C097B415098CE16E6051EFEF9226B60423/

Still playing the game, I changed to Nvidia card at some point at the end of last year. At least all the graphical errors went away.

One thing that annoys me that now that I actually tried to hunt some achievements, then either Steam or Rage is a piece of shit. I finally managed to hunt the dice minigame and got four crosshairs after hundreds of plays. Then I heard a ding sound, but no achievement was unlocked.

Unless there are more races coming I also got all the races done now with 1st place in each, but no achievement came from those either.

EDIT: Ok, there was a whole big part of Wasteland still not seen. More races I suppose.

Edited by Kolzig

I picked this up during the Steam sale, I can confirm that it is a game. I've played maybe an hour of it and it really did not grab me.

I got it by trading away some coal, and boy am I glad I didn't pay for it. I think it's slightly less than a game. It is just so bland in everything it does. I might be able to enjoy it on a pure mindless-shooter level if said shooting wasn't overshadowed by driving. I swear I've spent more time driving than I have shooting.

I mean, I suppose some of that is my fault, as I am taking the time to do the races. But still.

It's just so dull. I almost want to say they tried to be Borderlands and failed.

At least it's pretty. Those environments are kind of great for being just a bunch of rocks, I think.

I guess the best part is I have an ATi card and I waited long enough after release that I'm not suffering at all for it.

I got it by trading away some coal, and boy am I glad I didn't pay for it. I think it's slightly less than a game. It is just so bland in everything it does. I might be able to enjoy it on a pure mindless-shooter level if said shooting wasn't overshadowed by driving. I swear I've spent more time driving than I have shooting.

I mean, I suppose some of that is my fault, as I am taking the time to do the races. But still.

It's just so dull. I almost want to say they tried to be Borderlands and failed.

At least it's pretty. Those environments are kind of great for being just a bunch of rocks, I think.

I guess the best part is I have an ATi card and I waited long enough after release that I'm not suffering at all for it.

Agree on the pretty, I enjoy the animation and stuff, but beyond that I just have no urge to play it. Even John Goodman sounds bored at the beginning of it.

Snoop was clearly referring to Doom.

Yes! Thanks for that. I actually laughed out loud. I was amused beyond acronyms.

I picked this up during the Steam sale, I can confirm that it is a game. I've played maybe an hour of it and it really did not grab me.

I need further confirmation, is it a game or a video game?

It's kind of like Candyland, so maybe a board game? Though my brain might have replaced my memories of it with something better.

I picked this up for less than £5 (~$8 USD) on my way home from work, and after ~3hrs of gameplay I'm crushed.

What an overwrought and joyless experience this thing is. So much of the core mechanics are so simplistic and outdated, I'd go so far as to declare it embarrassing. Perhaps even comedic, given the (rapidly declining) pedigree of its developer. Patronising in the extreme, it holds your hand and badgers you into moving the "plot" forwards at every step.

As already mentioned, however, there simply is no apparent plot. You're just aimlessly wandering from charred pillar to post-apocalyptic post, accruing more and more junk for condescending skin-coloured automatons who (rightly) treat you like the doe-eyed village idiot you clearly are.

It's not like you can even forgive it this trite "glue" in light of the actual gameplay that it drags you to, because that's merely drab as well. The enemies seem to offer no challenge whatsoever beyond their erratic movements and the wavering accuracy of your chosen weapon, and the environments you fight them in merely bulky, twisting corridors filled with odd angles. Some just happen to have clouds floating high above them.

The icing on the cake is that the game welcomes you by apparently being snobbish about system specs, while still having the audacity to look like someone left their beautifully hand-painted textures out in the rain. Six months after launch and constant pop-in still prevails, perpetually destroying the sense of place and immersion as distant details flicker in and out at the edge of your player-character's vision.

The only other thing I'd add is that comparing this to Borderlands is superficial and naïve. Borderlands is fun and varied; a couple of hours with id's latest and it's clear that RAGE can't even hide how badly thought-out it is as an actual attempt at entertainment.

It's fucking awful.

The only other thing I'd add is that comparing this to Borderlands is superficial and naïve. Borderlands is fun and varied; a couple of hours with id's latest and it's clear that RAGE can't even hide how badly thought-out it is as an actual attempt at entertainment.

But... but... you just compared it to Borderlands!

But... but... you just compared it to Borderlands!

...from the point of view of an off-hand recommendation of RAGE to someone if you knew they already liked Borderlands. I'm not saying they don't look very similar, but they're quite different in terms of variety and depth.

I couldn't think of a more eloquent way to make that point (and probably still haven't). :getmecoat

So I got this game recently and have played a bit, but it seems incredibly boring and old. If it's about 10 hours long, might be worth going through it, but no more than that.

People are saying up to 20 hours :/

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/942657-/60556562

I quit it after maybe 6 hours. I really didn't enjoy it.

In a post apocalyptic world where you constantly fear for your life. sleeping with one eye open, being attacked daily by pirates and mutants... Why is everyone you meet so nice? That's what pissed me off about the game, all the npc's are complete bullshit. No one even swears. If ever a game needed swears its this game. The writing should have been a lot darker, serious more adult.

tone wise, if you're making a post apocalyptic shooter you're making either borderlands or metro 2033. Pick a side. Not this washy washy piss floating in the middle

The world is kill or be killed, everyone you meet must practically be a serial killer. You'd think that would take its toll on a persons character

If you're playing RAGE for any reason other than to shoot things with a shotgun, slice them with a wingstick, explode them with a rocket launcher pistol, zap them with a crossbow, or kill them by deploying an adorable walking robot sentry gun, then you're not going to have a fun time. (Well actually you can admire the amazing character animations and character design but aside from THAT you won't have a fun time). The setting, plot, writing, and so on in the game swings from dumb to forgettable to bad and usually it does it fast enough to hit all three within the same 5 second timespan.

But the shooting is really great and I enjoyed the game, at least whenever it wasn't shoving me into a car.

I thought RAGE was fairly fun, but nothing incredible. I thought it had a small handful of really fun weapons, like the electric bolt and mind-control. The spider-bot was crazy well-made, I could watch that thing climb over fences n shit all day. If only there were A COUPLE MORE! It doesn't have enough surprises for me to actually say "this game is full of cool weapons".

The loudest thought in my head when I finished RAGE was that it felt like an old PS2 game from like the early 2000s. In the last mission you have to jump over lasers, and they start throwing huge robocop armour guys at you, and when you kill them you GET THEIR MINIGUN!!!!!!! The way you had to win races to advance sometimes, I legitemately felt like I was playing Jak & Daxter again. Not saying that was a bad thing!

It's funny that it showed up in Breaking Bad, cos it does feel like a game a TV show would make up on the spot.

Sequel announced. Bethesda publishing, Avalanche developing.

I'm not as excited for the prospect of a Mad Max/Just Cause type game set in the Rage universe (which is pretty much Mad Max anyway) as I would be for an FPS that jettisoned all the RPG-lite crap but kept all the fun shooting and nice design.

Here's what I posted as I played through the first one a few years ago:

Spoiler

I started playing it when I got my new PC just as a tester game, then got bored and left it. As I've just finished the HL1 expansions (OF was great, I put BS on hard because I was told it's ridiculously easy and had to give up) and Minerva mod (nothing special, difficulty not very well balanced), I thought I'd give it another try so I've deleted my saves and started a new game. It looks absolutely gorgeous, but what I remember about it from last time is finding the shooting imprecise and the RPG-lite elements irritating. I've stuck it on easy this time and am hoping to blast through it enjoying the scenery.

Just got back into this, and Paul is right, this immediately gets better once you've picked up a couple of weapons. They should have had a few one-shot enemies at the start so as not to put the player off straight away. I'm really enjoying it now I'm used to all the systems (like, that you can buy ammo, which they're really stingy with otherwise) and possibly also because I've got it on easy! The RPG-lite stuff is still the least entertaining aspect, but it's not too cumbersome, I guess. I am enjoying getting to know the map layout.

I just got to a bit where bandits have set up a blockade and I'm supposed to put some explosives on then leg it, but they've got a rocket launcher that's making it really annoying. I'll come back and try again later, which I'm looking forward to.

Got this as soon as I tried again, it was just easily-snipable dudes. I've just got to Wellspring, though, and it's making me walk around talking to people and choosing clothes and shit.

There are loads of hints on the loading screens that suggest I'll be getting into vehicle battles and having to upgrade my buggy and shit, which I really can't be bothered with either. It really should make those hints progress-related, there's loads of them that are completely irrelevant to me at the moment.

(4 months later)

I finally dragged myself back to this game and spent ages talking to people and getting through annoying car battles (you don't seem to be able to do anything about the turrets or explosive toy cars or incoming rockets, and the handling is crap), then finally got to a new shooty bit and it's immediately ace again.

I've gritted my teeth and got through some races to soup up my car, so I can now just leg it past any bandits and not bother with any car fights. There's still a load of boring RPG in my FPS, though. It's "walk through confusingly laid-out hub, get mission from boring character, drive shitty-handling car to mission, do FUN SHOOTING interspersed with picking up bottles, drive back to hub, go to shop, sell bottles, buy ammo and ingredients, craft things with ingredients, repeat." It's shallow and dull fluff tacked onto a good-looking, fun shooter. If they'd used all the characters and locations in a Half-Life 2 structure it also would have been much better.

The shooter sections are starting to wear a little thin too, though. I'm hoping I'm either near the end or some new stuff is going to get introduced (I just got to the subway town and am on the second mission there, fighting gearheads for the first time). It might not help that I'm only doing the main missions and I have it on Easy...

Phew, finished. That ending was bizarrely anti-climactic, yeah. So strange to put your only massive boss (with glowing hit-points no less!) halfway through the game and have the final fight be against a handful of pretty much the most basic enemy. I don't think I'll ever bother with the DLC, I can't imagine it will have enough new stuff to make it worth my time.

I'd love for there to be a mod of this game which HL2s it.

Fuck, I just realised I never bothered firing the BFG rounds because the final level was so easy.

(Sorry, @toblix, I went for this thread because it has more gameplay discussion, even though yours was there first.)