Sign in to follow this  
Denial

Eurogamer Expo

Anyone going? Meeting up? Looking forward to anything in particular?

(Yes, this is a terrible post. I can only apologise. Bit rushed.)

I was thinking of heading to the RPS thing on the Friday evening despite not being able to make the Expo itself. Although I'm not 100% sure I can make even that yet. Last year was a fun time though!

Nachimir: The Indie Games Arcade I always find the most interesting part. This year's is looking great too so I'm pretty sad to miss it!

Hopefully I'll see you at the stand, Nachimir ... and I'm hoping to make the meetathon also, other Idle peeps. In most situations "I'm the very tall one with the wild hair who appears to have been dressed by his hipster mother" would be enough of a description, but at an RPS meetup I'm not sure it will be...

Please don't be shy about introducing yourself, I'd be happy to see any thumbs. I may or may not be wearing a blue Eurogamer t-shirt, but I look like this. My glasses are crapper now because the ones in that photo got run over by a car.

F4T C4T, thank you. People submitted some great games this year, and I particularly recommend Really Big Sky and ********* Smash Crew. Both procedurally generated, and both had me sat there an hour later when I'd just meant to test the builds I was sent.

Edit: Hah, had totally forgotten that word is censored :)

Edited by Nachimir

I'm quite possibly going to the RPSathon, although I won't be getting up to my usual drunken shenanigans as I'm off lager for a month because I've somehow become embarassingly fat.

I was almost going to make it. My new iPad game Orbit1, was selected for the Indie Arcade, but as it's a mobile game they required me (and my iPad) to be there. I seriously considered flying over for the weekend, but then common sense took over.

Stupid common sense.

I'm sad you couldn't make it over, but totally understand. There were quite a few developers in the same boat. Didn't realise you were a thumb!

RPSathon was great fun. I gave into lager towards the end because of the free bar, but drinking ale for the first few rounds definitely saved me from any embarrassing mishaps. Good to see you again, Nach!

Um... Ale is just as sugary.

Any road, I am visiting Leeds this w/end, so no Video game related tomfoolery for me! Worse luck.

I'm sad you couldn't make it over, but totally understand. There were quite a few developers in the same boat. Didn't realise you were a thumb!

Ha, I didn't realise you hosted the thing! So what ended up happening with the mobile games, anyway? I don't think there were any on show...

Ha, I didn't realise you hosted the thing! So what ended up happening with the mobile games, anyway? I don't think there were any on show...

There were five iOS games on show among the PC games, but a lot interfered with that before the Expo. A late crunch on other stuff meant there was no time to really do press properly for it. Also, Apple won't lend hardware to events unless they're events run and owned by Apple, so exhibitors had to bring their own kit.

Here's a run down of what did make it:

Reflow by Xymatic was a really fun thing to have there.

Kyy Games were also there with Cabals, and turned out to be neighbours of Xymatic in Tampere too.

Personally, I don't like the aesthetics of Greedy Bankers, but as a game it's well executed. It reminds me a lot of multiplayer Amiga Power coverdisc games that would addict me and friends for days at a time. Alistair's team were also formidably competent at approaching people while clutching iPads, getting them to play the game and funnelling useful contact info back to Alistair.

Spilt Milk were there with Hard Lines, plus cake and beer.

The developers of Earth Under Siege flew over from fucking Brazil to show their game, putting to shame a nameless and nearby developer that pulled out mere days before the Expo. I really hope that coming so far for the Expo was worth it for all of the international exhibitors, because they're great guys.

The IGA gets more developers attending each year, and this time had more than 50% of the games accompanied by people on the showfloor either talking people through their game, or standing at a distance taking notes. It was also pretty excellent that Hello Games had hired a stand right next to the IGA, as getting into it in 2009 was the first time they showed Joe Danger in public :tup:

Ellie Gibson and John Teti did this without me spotting them.

Why indie developers are the best: At the end of the last day, all the ones that didn't have to rush off to the airport stayed behind to help me strip then box all of the hardware. Heroes.

Edited by Nachimir