Sign in to follow this  
Ben X

Virtual floppy drives/Klik N Play

Probably mostly for noyb:

After spending an afternoon fighting with Virtual Floppy Drive, I've given up.

I'm trying to install and play some more old multi-disk Klik N Play/Games Factory games. I've got the contents of each floppy disk in folders, which I've managed to turn into .iso image files. I don't have the actual disks or an actual floppy drive. As far as I can tell, I need to:

1) create a virtual floppy drive

2) use the vfd software to start the install process on the first disk then swap between the disks as the install program demands (I'm hoping I'll be able to minimise the install program to do this)

3) once the game is installed, follow Rob's linked article to run Win 3.1 in DOSbox and either play the game straight away or install KnP and then play the game through that.

Does this sound the correct way to go about it? Anyone able to recommend another bit of freeware or option for creating a vfd rather than VFD? Would it be better to post this on glorioustrainwrecks.com?

That reminds me to give Splodge another chance. Was having some issues with my American keyboard, iirc.

I'm lucky enough to have a 32-bit OS that doesn't need to faff about with emulators to play KNP games. You'll probably find more help at Glorious Trainwrecks, yeah.

Don't have any experience with VFD. I believe DOSBox allows you to mount folders as floppy/CD drives.

Once you have the original KNP files, you can actually open them in later Clickteam apps. TGF2: Newgrounds Edition lets you export KNP games to Flash for free, albeit with a Newgrounds-themed ad-filled preloader. Might be sitelocked to localhost and Newgrounds, too. Also, it can't play MIDI files.

MMF2 is able to produce EXEs that modern PCs can run, and can play MIDI files, but costs money. And there's a chance the game won't run as intended, due to over a decade of bug fixes to the underlying code.

I had Games Factory! Wasn't it like £100? I remember saving up a bunch of pocket money and birthday money until I thought I had enough, then getting to the shop and finding out that I didn't have as much as I thought, and ending up counting out all my copper coins and paying in exact change. Then I made pretty much the same game twice with two different friends and a screensaver that required a CD to be in the drive to play the right song and that was about it.

None of this is useful to you.

Equally unhelpful, some guy on Reddit drew games/apps of his childhood, including Klik & Play, and Microsoft's 3D Movie Maker*: http://i.imgur.com/IEVmX.jpg

*There are a few KNP trainwrecks I made floating around online, but my "movies" will never see the light of day! :getmecoat

Oh God, when I saw 2G I got that weird feeling that I get when someone references a game that you love but that you thought that nobody else had heard about.

Microsoft's 3D Movie Maker

THAT PROGRAM WAS THE BEST! I spent many happy hours with my cousin making dumb movies about a guy in a skeleton suit who ran around shooting people to the Doom E1M1 music, and a mysterious guy who could float around at will, and an ambulance driver who would say "What's that noise?" before something fell from the sky on his head. Also we used the Quake grenade sound timed the same way it is in the rolling demo. God, such nerds.

That reminds me to give Splodge another chance. Was having some issues with my American keyboard, iirc.

Don't have any experience with VFD. I believe DOSBox allows you to mount folders as floppy/CD drives.

You should be able to set the controls from the menu bar, if that helps.

So, how would I use the DOSbox mounting to install a multidisk game? I have to do it through Win 3.1, and be able to 'swap' disks. It's really fucking difficult trying to do this without a drive OR a 32-bit system!