Sign in to follow this  
pabosher

Video Game Podcast Name Help

Sup dudes.

So I'm starting a new venture soon. Basically, I love doing interviews in this business, but transcribing them is always a pain in the ass. Especially the sort of interviews I do - long, drawn-out, (hopefully) more in-depth.

So I decided I'd make a podcast feed consisting purely of interviews with people in the games industry. Think Nerdist, WTF with Marc Maron, etc. I want the show to be about the people in this industry, whether they're the well-known Peter Molyneuxs, David Jaffes, etc. or the lesser known, but still vitally important sound engineers, programmers, artists etc. Talking to them about their lives, about video games, stories from video games, etc.

So yeah, I have all that, but I don't have a name. The only name I keep returning to is '... And Then A Grenade Rolled Down A Hill'. However, not only is that the worst, it's also A: horribly long and B: terribly in-jokey. On the main hand though, it does encapsulate what I want from the show - stories from/about video games.

Any help you can give is greatly appreciated.

PS: Also, if any of you know anything about good recorders/dictaphones for around £120 that'd be awesome. :)

PPS: I'll also be needing the mic/dict for Uni lecture recording purposes.

how about something like... Video game Rack... Iron Gamemaiden...

you know, in the line of medieval torture devices.

Ludonarrative Harmony?

Tales from an Emergent Earth?

The Games Industrial Complex?

Video game Rack... Iron Gamemaiden...

:eyebrow:

Great idea! I'd love to do something similar with film. As for a name, I kind of think you can get away with anything, but being informative is probably a great help. So I'd almost lean to something boring, but descriptive. For example, "The Hollywood Saloon" is a podcast about loving mainstream movies, but a lot of people initially think it's just about Westerns.

"Game Dev Interviews" is horribly dry, but it might catch the eye of someone who would love the show... Which is better than a funky name which tells you nothing. At least in my opinion, anyway.

How about, "First Person Interviews - Insights into the game industry"?

I should also point out that I'm also planning on chatting to non-developers, ie. Press, marketing, PR etc.

Tilde?

Just coming off the whole dev console thing...

Actually, dev consoles are usually opened with the backtick not the tilde.

• More suited for a band name, but could work: Peter Molyneux and the Emotions
  • An excuse to have Steve Ballmer in the logo: Video games, Developers, Developers, Developers (VG3D)
  • For more subscribers: A Leap Towards Wealth and Inner Peace (in Three Easy Steps)
  • The Missing Q&A
  • Blood, Sweat and Turret Sequences
  • And of course: What is game? XXX XXX answers

Loving it, Nappi.

Is it weird/wrong I'm still kinda leaning towards '... And Then A Grenade Rolled Down A Hill'? Someone talk me out of it if it's horrible.4

An excuse to have Steve Ballmer in the logo: Video games, Developers, Developers, Developers (VG3D)

So good.

• Blood, Sweat and Turret Sequences

This one, I like.

Actually, dev consoles are usually opened with the backtick not the tilde.

Although true, the backtick is frequently called the tilde key.

Speedy, you have already answered your own question in the title.

Video Game Podcast Name

It rhymes!

GUYES. I GOT IT. IT'S AMAZING.

Anecdotally Video Games.

Right? Right??

(May also do AnecTotally Video Games)

PS: I am totally being serious here. What do you guys think? I've heard maybe Anecdotally Games is better, but I like making the disctinction it's video games, not just games.

Edited by SpeedyDesiato

Well, Anecdote like a story. That's what I want the show/site to be about. Stories about games.

Totally. like, totally. video games.

Oh. Er. Somehow, it doesn't make me think of Video game anecdotes. Even though logically it should.

Don't like it (or the grenade one).

If only you were asking hackers for stories, you could have had "Hackanory".

(This cultural reference may not have made it out of Britain: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jackanory)

Hmmm, what about "Dialogue Tree"/"Conversation Tree" or similar?

Talkie Version.

I'd change TP's suggestion to First Person Chatter.

I quite liked InGame Chat (or something similar playing on that).

Something playing with Quest/questions? Side-Questions?

I'm mostly trying for puns!

Edited by bbX1138

Names are sometimes the hardest part. Maybe plan on renaming it once you hit episode 5 and have found your flow/tone.

I'll try to explain why I think you shouldn't call it " ... And Then A Grenade Rolled Down A Hill" without being overly critical. After all, I don't know your full reasoning behind the idea in the first place.

You say that the title "encapsulate what I want from the show - stories from/about video games", (or ,") but it really doesn't. To most people it would only be confusing. It only encapsulates that if you've listened to the Idle Thumbs podcasts, and even then it would most likely be interpreted to be some sort of fan project without your explanation accompanying it.

Also, the title is a explicit and non-ambigious reference to Idle Thumbs. I'm assuming your podcast is a completely isolated project, completely unrelated to Idle Thumbs. So why, then, would you want to tangle it up in this other thing? First of all, you would in my opinion have to get permission from them to use this as a name. (Probably) not for any legal reasons, but for ethical ones. Secondly, consider that, if your project "takes off" in any way, you'll have to change the name; think about the t-shirts! It would be awkwardly confusing.

The only reason I see for choosing " ... And Then A Grenade Rolled Down A Hill" for the name of your podcast is if you're pretty certain you'll need to "trick" Idle Thumbs fans into listening to your podcast by sort of associating yourself with it, and there's no way you'll get anywhere if you choose a non-related name. If that's how you feel, you're probably better off considering a different project altogether.

Now, since I'm very keen to listen to good podcasts about gaming, I hope you get it on the road. I promise I'll listen to the first couple of episodes, no matter what name you choose (unless it's "Fag Cunt").

I'll try to explain why I think you shouldn't call it " ... And Then A Grenade Rolled Down A Hill" without being overly critical. After all, I don't know your full reasoning behind the idea in the first place.

You say that the title "encapsulate what I want from the show - stories from/about video games", (or ,") but it really doesn't. To most people it would only be confusing. It only encapsulates that if you've listened to the Idle Thumbs podcasts, and even then it would most likely be interpreted to be some sort of fan project without your explanation accompanying it.

I like the name, but kind of I agree with this. Some kind of variation of that might work though, like "Rolling Grenades and Other Video Game Stories" or "Video Games - Or How I Learned to Stop Quick Saving and Roll the Grenades". You would still have to explain the whole grenade rolling joke when the show starts of course (or simply wait till one of the listeners inevitably asks you about the name).

In my personal opinion, "Anecdotally Video Games" isn't that good. It's witty but somehow it isn't immediately obvious what it means, unlike " ... And Then A Grenade Rolled Down A Hill" for an Idle Thumbs listener, for instance.