Roderick

Feminism

I actually had a look at the Kickstarter: they say it's suitable for EDC.

What is EDC? Well, they helpfull annotate that it's everyday carry.

Why couldn't they just say 'put it in your pocket or bag'?

(The sad thing is that if this wasn't so goddamn ridiculous, I wouldn't mind a mint lip balm. I like mint.)

I actually had a look at the Kickstarter: they say it's suitable for EDC.

What is EDC? Well, they helpfull annotate that it's everyday carry.

Why couldn't they just say 'put it in your pocket or bag'?

(The sad thing is that if this wasn't so goddamn ridiculous, I wouldn't mind a mint lip balm. I like mint.)

EDC is one of those terms that's pretty common in a certain crowd. The CoD playing, MMA loving suburban white guy who was maybe in scouts for a while but never really got anywhere and talks about how cool all this military stuff is but would never actually enlist, and somehow always gets clip and magazine confused when talking about how much they know about guns. They have their dozen matches in a waterproof container that has a strikeable surface and a compass on top, a pocket knife that they never use, maybe an old wick and flint lighter. They carry these things "just in case" but have never had a reason to use them.

tl;dr i was an eagle scout, ask me about the insufferable people i put up with

"Everyday carry" is one of those phrases that, while they have some conceivable utility, rub me up the wrong way. Others include the verbs "knoll" (which pretty much just means aligning things with the edges of a surface or container) and "grok" (which pretty much means "understand", but nerds like to feel like they're doing something more profound than that). Perhaps the irritation is that talking about these things enough to require special terms for them suggests an unpleasant degree of self-obsession. Or perhaps I'm just stuffy and don't like neologisms.

"Everyday carry" sounds pretentious. We all have crap we keep in our pockets. It's not a big deal.

EDC is one of those terms that's pretty common in a certain crowd. The CoD playing, MMA loving suburban white guy who was maybe in scouts for a while but never really got anywhere and talks about how cool all this military stuff is but would never actually enlist, and somehow always gets clip and magazine confused when talking about how much they know about guns. They have their dozen matches in a waterproof container that has a strikeable surface and a compass on top, a pocket knife that they never use, maybe an old wick and flint lighter. They carry these things "just in case" but have never had a reason to use them.

What I want to know; is this chap stick HSLD?

Edit: or is it HS/LD? I apparently fail at my joke on this subject.

What is y'all's opinion about white, heterosexual, cis-gendered men lying on an advertiser-survey for a Video game podcast In hopes to attract advertisements that make marginalized listeners feel closer to the norm?

What is y'all's opinion about white, heterosexual, cis-gendered men lying on an advertiser-survey for a video game podcast In hopes to attract advertisements that make marginalized listeners feel closer to the norm?

I feel like if the podcast content isn't doing that then maybe that's probably the place to start?

I feel like if the podcast content isn't doing that then maybe that's probably the place to start?

Noone feels like the podcast producers would rather give advertisers accurate survey info and not lie to people paying them for advertising?

There's no way to verify the actual survey but if anyone's going to get fucked, it's the people selling ad space on their podcast.

Yeah, I'm going to guess that it's not the content of the ads that is alienating marginalized people, but more likely the content and makeup of the podcast. Misrepresenting yourself will only give the podcasts hosts the impression that they're reaching a more diverse group of listeners, and maybe therefore what they're currently doing is fine and doesn't need changing.

Also, podcast advertisements are only useful (and will likely only stick around) inasmuch as people actually use the offer codes. If you lie on a survey to attract advertisements that won't cater to the people who actually listen to the podcast, those advertisements aren't likely to stay on the podcast for long.

"Everyday carry" sounds pretentious. We all have crap we keep in our pockets. It's not a big deal.

I think they're trying to associate with 'concealed carry'? That's hella manly.

I think they're trying to associate with 'concealed carry'? That's hella manly.

Yeah, "everyday carry" is an already-existing term for gun people.

Oh, that didn't occur to me. My only other encounter with the phrase was

, which is not a site I associate with gun nuttery.

Anyway, if it is meant to evoke "concealed carry", that's just pretentious and dumb in a slightly different way. The related articlessection on its Wikipedia page only cements my distaste for it.

That said, it's a completely pointless thing to have an opinion about.

Hey guys, do you feel emasculated every time you have to use fruit, colourful, girly chapstick? Does it make you feel like a sissy fairy boy? Well, no need to worry any longer. Prove your manliness by rubbing a Dude Stick all over your lips.

One of my favourite things to do when I want to feel bad about geek culture is to do a search on the ThinkGeek store for the word "tactical." Most of them are just garbage meant as a joke or to satisfy gross military fetishization. Every single item that could kill someone is described as being "for the zombie apocalypse," as are the survival gear items (the ones meant for doomsday preppers, not campers). Few alternative uses are given for the ones that are clearly meant as weapons, and they tend to sound ridiculous when they do (the blurb for the M48 Tactical Survival series recommends using the harpoon knife to open your fucking mail). The worst by far is the Uzi Tactical Defender Pen.

BUST CRIME WITH ONLY A PEN

We've always had a thing for crime shows, especially the kind with lots of forensic science. Also, it may help when the scientist happens to be a tattooed goth girl that's on a constant sugar high. Just sayin'. Even if it's faux science done in blue-tinted labs, we love it. The thought of a criminal being brought to justice because they left an eyelash at the scene of the crime is just sweet. But we're also reminded that crime is real and you never know when the bad guys might strike.

Are you expecting the unexpected? Does expecting the unexpected make the unexpected expected? Either way, the Uzi Tactical Pen turns a mere pen into a life saving tool. The crown also doubles as a glass breaker if you ever get trapped in your vehicle... If things get really bad, you can always rely on the hidden handcuff key inside the top of this pen. This badass writing utensil is made of high-grade aircraft aluminum and writes upside down or under water. If you can find a situation where you use all of this pen's features and live to tell the tale, we probably owe you some sort of prize.

Unless you're a magician or a bondage fetishist I can guarantee there is no situation in your life that is going to be improved by owning a concealed handcuff key.

I have long held that ThinkGeek is terrible and we've just never noticed because they're good at pandering.

Hm, yeah would you wear the key around your neck on a chain?

What? I don't follow.

All I'm saying is that from my experience of magicians and my experience of bondage fetishists the venn diagram of that looks basically like a doughnut.

Oh sorry, I thought maybe you were referring to this as being redundant, since generally you wouldn't see a key:

...by owning a concealed handcuff key.

I like the implied scenario here, though.

"We searched him head to toe, boss, and he definitely doesn't have a handcuff key on him. Just this pen. It has like a hammer or something built into it I don't know"

"Let him keep it. He might need to write something down."