Roderick

Feminism

Well, that's a concern troll.

Mmmm, isn't that normally someone who addresses the side they're really against while pretending to be a concerned member of that side? This instance is someone (Tegan suspects) pretending to be a feminist attacking a third party.

Still have to order mine...just am unsure which size to pick, and I picked the wrong ones on the Double Fine store.

The Double Fine Adventure! t-shirt I got as part of the Kickstarter was L and fits me perfectly, but the Hack & Slash und Little Pink Buds t-shirts are much too wide for me. Now I'm confused... :/

With all the conversation about street harassment lately, #DudesGreetingDudes is a great takedown of the sexism going on there.

This is excellent.

Which murder of a woman for rejecting a guy's advances is that article and Zoe Quinn's tweet referring to? The only case I'm aware of is Mary Spears, but that was a month ago. Has the verdict just been returned or something?

Ah, thanks. Yeah, I conflated the two references.

Fucking hell. And apparently the photos do match the crime scene.

Yeah, Zoe was focusing on the fact that online harassment and chan trolls directly lead to the murder of a woman.

This is the wooooorrrrrsssst

Cool job, straight white dudes, keep telling ladies to calm the fuck down over "being complimented"

One wonders if he's even slightly aware of how the situations differ. As an exercise, I'm going to try to point out the fallacies.

1. A well lit mall with (presumably) some kind of security is a totally different context than walking down the street.
  2. Every woman he interacts with is in customer service, and therefore obligated to interact with him (social contract of "on the street" vs. "in my store" is very different).
  3. Since each woman is working, showing any discomfort towards his actions may potentially endanger her job.
  4. He has no way of knowing how uncomfortable any of them actually feel, only what was communicated to him, under the constraints noted above.
  5. Rather than randomly calling out to them, he first engaged them in conversation, therefore initiating an entirely different social interaction from cat-calling.
  6. Several times, he suggests a tenuous argument about editing, but doesn't actually address that. If that was his point, he should have demonstrated how his positive or neutral social interactions could be edited to appear to be negative ones.

Also, not sure if I'm reading right, but to me, the clerk at the jewelry counter looked very uncomfortable, and was throwing the "oh god, I hope he leaves soon" body language like crazy.

Did I miss anything obvious?

Oh, also, DudesGreetingDudes is fantastic. Well played.

One wonders if he's even slightly aware of how the situations differ. As an exercise, I'm going to try to point out the fallacies.

1. A well lit mall with (presumably) some kind of security is a totally different context than walking down the street.
  2. Every woman he interacts with is in customer service, and therefore obligated to interact with him (social contract of "on the street" vs. "in my store" is very different).
  3. Since each woman is working, showing any discomfort towards his actions may potentially endanger her job.
  4. He has no way of knowing how uncomfortable any of them actually feel, only what was communicated to him, under the constraints noted above.
  5. Rather than randomly calling out to them, he first engaged them in conversation, therefore initiating an entirely different social interaction from cat-calling.
  6. Several times, he suggests a tenuous argument about editing, but doesn't actually address that. If that was his point, he should have demonstrated how his positive or neutral social interactions could be edited to appear to be negative ones.

Also, not sure if I'm reading right, but to me, the clerk at the jewelry counter looked very uncomfortable, and was throwing the "oh god, I hope he leaves soon" body language like crazy.

Did I miss anything obvious?

Oh, also, DudesGreetingDudes is fantastic. Well played.

This is all valid, but number two stuck out to me as the most ludicrous. Did it not cross his mind how only engaging people whose job it is to be polite and interact with customers undermined his point, or was it a matter of having to blur faces if this was truly a hidden camera and he approached random women and he likely got permission from the store ahead of time (I assume this is how it works)? Seriously, this is such an obviously pointless "experiment" that, if I were the soulless human-shaped garbage pile doing it, I would have at least had the faith in its inefficacy to do it out on the street and edit it to make it look like like women at random enjoy receiving compliments and being wished "God bless."

This is all valid, but number two stuck out to me as the most ludicrous. Did it not cross his mind how only engaging people whose job it is to be polite and interact with customers undermined his point, or was it a matter of having to blur faces if this was truly a hidden camera and he approached random women and he likely got permission from the store ahead of time (I assume this is how it works)? Seriously, this is such an obviously pointless "experiment" that, if I were the soulless human-shaped garbage pile doing it, I would have at least had the faith in its inefficacy to do it out on the street and edit it to make it look like like women at random enjoy receiving compliments and being wished "God bless."

I think many people who have never worked in customer service are totally unaware of how much customer service is just about flattering the customer on the pain of losing your job if they don't dig it. This especially applies to every dude who thinks all the baristas at their favorite coffee shop are totally in love with him, rather than them all recognizing him as a regular customer who expects to be flirted with when he orders coffee.

I don't think you missed anything, except maybe something that was covered by one or more of your points but not explicitly stated - the slate of thank yous that he got doesn't really indicate anything, because if a woman feels threatened saying something like that is a great way to avoid conflict rather than "fuck you" or something that might garner retaliation or simply more unwanted interaction.

I don't think you missed anything, except maybe something that was covered by one or more of your points but not explicitly stated - the slate of thank yous that he got doesn't really indicate anything, because if a woman feels threatened saying something like that is a great way to avoid conflict rather than "fuck you" or something that might garner retaliation or simply more unwanted interaction.

Yeah, that's a good point that I hadn't thought of in those specific terms. Not only might they feel the need to hide their true feelings, even ambiguously positive responses could also be learned deflections, which is why its so important to acknowledge people's reports of how they themselves actually feel even if it clashes with your external assumptions.

A couple of positive, if not earth shattering, things coming out of Blizzcon:

Blizzard CEO on GamerGate: "They are tarnishing our reputations as gamers"

Blizzard on representation in games: “We build games for everybody”

I think Blizzard's approach to representation is still a little hamfisted, but I'm pleased they're at least being more conscious about things now.

Stop the Cat Call - a Tumblr with testimonials from cat calling and how those women were made to feel, sometimes with accompanying pictures that bring some context to potential "well maybe you dressed like a slut" rebuttals.

A couple of positive, if not earth shattering, things coming out of Blizzcon:

Blizzard CEO on GamerGate: "They are tarnishing our reputations as gamers"

Blizzard on representation in games: “We build games for everybody”

I think Blizzard's approach to representation is still a little hamfisted, but I'm pleased they're at least being more conscious about things now.

As Anthony Burch put it on twitter: "yes it is a slight bummer the overwatch girls all have slim body types but hey, they're not cleavage-y sex dolls and they're half the roster. this is *exactly* the kind of thing mainstream games should be doing -- normalizing diversity and showing it can be fucking cool as balls. Blizzard has the reach and the chops to make diversity accepted and fun to a huge audience of people, which is fucking wonderful."

This is the wooooorrrrrsssst

That account has another video titled "Moderate Islam: A MYTH!", in which the host dresses up as a Muslim and part of his costume is an artificial monobrow. Not that that demonstrates anything concrete about the catcalling video, but it does give you an idea of the place that this argument is coming from. Sure, it's a young good-looking guy presenting it in a modern and "vibrant" way (that stupid contorted face scream he kept doing was very YouTube), but it's just a fresh face on the same old reactionary bullshit. Which I guess should be obvious, but I'm worried people will be taken in by the slick production values and veneer of reasonableness.

Besides all that, a pretty obvious criticism of the video is that what he's doing isn't catcalling. He'd probably argue that neither is the drive-by compliment thing, but it is. If you're already in a conversation with someone, or in a less public environment, it's not the same thing. That doesn't mean it's welcome or OK (it's pretty creepy to try to chat up someone who is literally required to be there and not leave), but that's a whole other discussion.

I shouldn't be surprised, but there are people complaining in a Bioware thread about how the multiplayer characters in DA: Inquisition are split 50/50 between male and female characters, and how unfair that is because there should be more male characters.

Hilariously...no, sadly...wait, I'll call it sadlariously, it opens with someone who looked at list of characters and arrived at the conclusion that there were more women than men:

Am i the only one that noticed that females are kinda the overwhelming majority in MP? not that its a sin but i would expect a more even number or a straight 50/50 compared to what they have shown so far.

Because when you have an equal number of men and women, men see it as women dominating the space.

Edited to add:

This thread is killing me. It's mostly just a few shitheads going on about it, but are they ever pearls:

The fact that you feel the need to "praise" the decision to force players to play genders they might not want to play as in order to play a character they would like to play is ridiculous.

Effectively I have 5 characters that I will not ever be touching.

I just think it's a bit of a shame that all of the badass human classes are female. I mean come on, Reaver, Necromancer AND Templar?

This is Bioware bro, of course males are gonna be under represented. It's like their new motto.