Roderick

Feminism

Okg80PH.jpg

I believe that capes saw military use around the times of early handheld firearms to confuse the silhouette and make it more difficult for marksmen, so I think it makes sense.

This is precisely why The Shadow wore a cape, which is likely what lead to superheroes adopting the look.

Also, don't forget: Batgirl isn't like Batman. She didn't spend her life training to be a crimefighter and didn't have a tech lab and billions of dollars available to her when she made her costume. She's just a college-aged woman who admires Batman and, to a certain extent, wants to emulate him. In the first appearance of the Barbara Gordon Batgirl, her outfit was meant for a costume ball.

Also, don't forget: Batgirl isn't like Batman. She didn't spend her life training to be a crimefighter and didn't have a tech lab and billions of dollars available to her when she made her costume. She's just a college-aged woman who admires Batman and, to a certain extent, wants to emulate him. In the first appearance of the Barbara Gordon Batgirl, her outfit was meant for a costume ball.

Oh yeah, that's what I like about the design.  It totally fits into her character and story in a much more organic way than a skintight, formfitting spandex outfit.  Its just that the engineer in me can't help but analyze things in this manner.  I still think capes are silly.

LOVE the Batgirl redesign. It's killer. Also tons cuter.

That's pretty much my take on it; it actually better fits her origin (well, according to the Animated Series from the 90s) of just styling herself after Batman. It's more home-made and not like, super-funded nonsense. Way, way cooler.

To me, all this just affirms how stupid superheroes are and what a long corporate affair they are to so many. There's nothing novel about any of the stories they tell so it's all just a same old same old cycle of fashion and style and constant discussion on what is ultimately a fantasy story with no actual bearing. Whether capes get caught on anything or if a zipper can get hooked on a nail is really besides the point of a story. Nothing's really changed, it's all just shallow stories that are all style no substance. It's like getting upset at the abundance of evil twins in All My Children. I wish more people would put their passion for arguing about big business properties into trying to discover artists and writers they have ignored because they buy all of the wrong comics.

And that's my bitter thought for today.

something about this is real off for me. I think it is the way she is posed like a teenage model from a Target catalogue. I don't know if it is supposed to reflect the tone of the comic, but it looks like it is pushing hard to make her look like a savvy young fashionista who posts selfies on Facebook after fighting bad guys because yolo.

That's why I'm not real fond of it. Barbra Gordan for the last few decades has been depicted as a grown woman and this seems really young. Of course with the New 52 things are different and I haven't read any of the Bat-books since the reboot but other, younger, women have been Batgirl so it would make more sence for them to have this look. But if they do go with Barbra Gordan as late-teens/early-20s then this would work.

To me, all this just affirms how stupid superheroes are and what a long corporate affair they are to so many. There's nothing novel about any of the stories they tell so it's all just a same old same old cycle of fashion and style and constant discussion on what is ultimately a fantasy story with no actual bearing. Whether capes get caught on anything or if a zipper can get hooked on a nail is really besides the point of a story. Nothing's really changed, it's all just shallow stories that are all style no substance. It's like getting upset at the abundance of evil twins in All My Children. I wish more people would put their passion for arguing about big business properties into trying to discover artists and writers they have ignored because they buy all of the wrong comics.

And that's my bitter thought for today.

I understand your sentiment, but I don't really think it's cool to shame people who like popular things. I feel like these forums are a pretty safe place for people who like both the niche, indie, alt stuff as well as people who like big budget things.

That's why I'm not real fond of it. Barbra Gordan for the last few decades has been depicted as a grown woman and this seems really young. Of course with the New 52 things are different and I haven't read any of the Bat-books since the reboot but other, younger, women have been Batgirl so it would make more sence for them to have this look. But if they do go with Barbra Gordan as late-teens/early-20s then this would work.

I understand that's the idea; from what I gather, she's college-age and supposed to be in night-clubs and things, which is either an attempt to do something like the social stealth that Assassin's Creed is all about - instead of hiding in the darkness, hiding in the crowds - or it's a transparent attempt to be hip to the kids' jive.

Edit: according to this interview, the idea was to deliberately separate it from Batman, make it lighter and more fun, and focus more on mystery-solving rather than supervillainy.

In a similar vein to Tegan's Wonder Woman infographic, there was a cancelled Black Widow movie. As a commenter says:

"Green Lantern's box office failure shows that the market is over saturated with white male superheroes, so we're going to hold off for the time being"

- no one ever

In a similar vein to Tegan's Wonder Woman infographic, there was a cancelled Black Widow movie.

Tragically, I'd find it far more likely that studio executives would find the black or female side character at fault for the failure of a Green Lantern movie or some other underpowered comic property. I'm sure it's happened before, actually.

I understand your sentiment, but I don't really think it's cool to shame people who like popular things. I feel like these forums are a pretty safe place for people who like both the niche, indie, alt stuff as well as people who like big budget things.

I agree that people are allowed to like what they want, but I don't think Syn really meant to be shaming anybody. I mean, he did start like that, but by the end, it's apparent he's more about criticizing the culture and economics of big-budget comics, which I can get behind as much as with AAA video games.

California just signed a "Yes Means Yes" policy into effect for college campuses. It replaces the old "No Means No" standard of proving sexual assault and all of the problems that came with it. The subject of sexual consent is often fraught with ambiguity, especially when people are younger and less experienced; hopefully this policy will succeed in teaching young men and women what consent is and how to give it.

http://t.co/U6Zk7xQdlM

I agree that people are allowed to like what they want, but I don't think Syn really meant to be shaming anybody. I mean, he did start like that, but by the end, it's apparent he's more about criticizing the culture and economics of big-budget comics, which I can get behind as much as with AAA video games.

Yeah I don't know if I was, I'm just mad. I honestly don't know what is up with superheroes the past five years besides the major movie marketing push but it seems like comics are more marginalized than ever to me. Before the movie deals the last I heard people talking about that stuff was like elementary school. I just think if we are asking for social change in comics then redressing a tired concept is the wrong way to go about it. I think you'd get way more mileage actually supporting non franchise comics by the many female writers and artists out there instead of supporting a demographic grab for a major company that is all created by yet more white males.

I mean if you like superheroes and that's your thing, it's fine enough, but to me there's just way too much hubbub going on with what is ultimately like talking about McDonald's everyday (to me).

California just signed a "Yes Means Yes" policy into effect for college campuses. It replaces the old "No Means No" standard of proving sexual assault and all of the problems that came with it. The subject of sexual consent is often fraught with ambiguity, especially when people are younger and less experienced; hopefully this policy will succeed in teaching young men and women what consent is and how to give it.

Wait, wait, that's how the law works in America? It only counts as sexual assault if they say "NO!"? That's horrible! 

Wait, wait, that's how the law works in America? It only counts as sexual assault if they say "NO!"? That's horrible! 

Yep! A failure to express a lack of consent sufficiently has often been construed as consent in the courts. I even have several friends who were advised by police and judges to drop their rape charges because they vocally did not give consent, but did not sustain it through the entire rape, which somehow makes it less viable as a case. And man, if you have a prior history of good relations with your rapist, then forget about ever getting justice (or closure).

Sorry if this post is triggery for some. I'm just at a point where I can't help getting angry that rape convictions are a functional impossibility in this country except when the socioeconomic stars align so that the rapist has literally no one in the entire justice system with an interest in exonerating them.

Oh Christ that anecdote at the end D: And the LA Times editorial:

But is there a role for the government in mandating affirmative consent? It seems extremely difficult and extraordinarily intrusive to micromanage sex so closely as to tell young people what steps they must take in the privacy of their own dorm rooms.

Steps such as "make sure you're not raping anyone"

Craziness

I just think if we are asking for social change in comics then redressing a tired concept is the wrong way to go about it. I think you'd get way more mileage actually supporting non franchise comics by the many female writers and artists out there instead of supporting a demographic grab for a major company that is all created by yet more white males.

In general I'd say the whole focus on superheros in comics is silly to begin with. Why can't we just make comics like people do online that are cool and funny, and maybe include heroes but don't always?

2cFox2c.png

(I will never stop telling people to read Lumberjanes)

Feminist, queer-friendly all-ages comic produced by an all-female creative team; and it debuted with such high sales numbers that it needed a second print run and was immediately bumped from "miniseries" to "ongoing." Boom may be small and young, but they've been incredibly smart about what work they choose to publish and it's paid off. This year so far they've made up two and a half percent of comic sales, which doesn't sound like much compared to old guard juggernauts Marvel and DC (who account for about a third each), but keep in mind that that's almost half of what mainstays like IDW and Dark Horse make and nearly triple what perpetual motion machine Archie Comics makes (in both cases, more if you count unit share instead of dollar share).

I feel bad because I keep sidetracking all the important parts of this thread with stupid comic book bullshit.

Not surprisingly, I've seen a bunch of of comments grossly misinterpreting the "yes means yes" standard of consent.

Not surprisingly, I've seen a bunch of of comments grossly misinterpreting the "yes means yes" standard of consent.

Not surprisingly at all. In general, the response has done a good job of showing what a twisted conception many people about sex. So many comments try to make the law sound ridiculous by caricaturing it as "So I have to ask permission every time I want to have sex?" Which is... yeah, you do. You probably should. It's not that hard.

Regardless of how hard it is, shouldn't it be worth it to prevent yourself from committing rape against someone else?

Not if these damn feminists are changing the definition of rape to mean anytime you have sex with a woman who's not really into it. That's unreasonable!

This is a parody of a position I've seen. It's not my position. Consent is great and necessary.

Having read the slate article sarah argobot (sorry if I mispelled that...I really should go to bed right now but I keep typing things and reading things for some reason) on the affirmative consent bill in California, I can't see any reason to be against the bill...its seems like a good idea (or to quote my Mom "a no-brainer").

Its not destroying the presumption of innocence integral to our legal system...its simply defining consent as what it actually is CONSENT!  Its basically providing a better workable definition of consent so that (as was mentioned earlier) maybe more rapists might actually be successfully prosecuted.  It makes sense and looking at it without having some sort of weird knee-jerk "but what if?" reaction I can't see any downside to it.

On a side note...I can remember when Jerry Brown ran against Bill Clinton in the Democratic Primary back when I was a kid...damn that was a long time ago!

Edit: Ok, I checked and I didn't mispell sarah argobot's username...I'm always paranoid that I'm going to do that anytime I'm typing someone's user name (either through mistyping or autocorrect).

Not surprisingly at all. In general, the response has done a good job of showing what a twisted conception many people about sex. So many comments try to make the law sound ridiculous by caricaturing it as "So I have to ask permission every time I want to have sex?" Which is... yeah, you do. You probably should. It's not that hard.

Yeah... there's a lot of that, a lot of "what about innocent until proven guilty?" (how does this change anything?), and a lot of "wait, if I have drunk sex I'm a rapist?"