Roderick

Feminism

Could someone fill me in on what's happening? I haven't been on the Idle Forums in some time and this SJW has been completely under my radar.
(please PM if easier)

I'm trying to be honest and sincere here. I would hope you would give me the benifit of the doubt.

It's my honest opinion of what you were doing in this thread looked like to me. Take that as you will.

I can't decide between two snarky replies to these images, so I'll post em both.

1. When has a "games boycott" ever led to people not buying the game in question?

2. Like these clowns actually BUY the games they play.[/spoile

i was with gabe when left 4 dead 2 came out and he got a text telling him that people in the boycott group were buying it at a higher rate than people who were not

chuckles all round

Could someone fill me in on what's happening? I haven't been on the Idle Forums in some time and this SJW has been completely under my radar.

(please PM if easier)

There is way too much for a brief summary, but this headline is a pretty representative sample of what's been happening continuously for the past week or two:

Trolls drive Anita Sarkeesian out of her house to prove misogyny doesn't exist

They also harassed and doxed Zoe Quinn and Phil Fish, among others, not only in an attempt to prove that misogyny doesn't exist, but also that games journalism is corrupt and games are being ruined by women and Social Justice Warriors. Or something. Their stated motives have been quite vague and ephemeral, mostly bolstered by insane annotated photo-collages posted to imgur and facebook, but the one certainty is that their objectives are apparently best achieved by abusing women and feminists, driving them away from any sort of public life.

Little of it is new, but the intensity, venom and duration of it this time around has been remarkable and disturbing.

I don't know if I never posted in this thread before, but this has gone from upsetting to downright disgusting and it's just too much... At first it was almost cute to see the man babies upset to find out people like Josh Whedon suddenly found out he was a feminist, but as time passed it... just became disturbing and disgusting.

All I can hope is that these man babies that are threatening Anita are all bark and no bite, which is also messed up, speaking of which, I'm pretty sure the anti-Anita fundraiser/KS won't be taken down and all I can hope for is that they don't reach their goal.

I don't even dare to find out what the Anti-Anita fundraiser is about... I guess it's about videos exposing her "lies" and "conspiracies", but I also heard one of the rewards was game were you beat her up... so yeah, once again, this is just messed up and disgusting... 

Little of it is new, but the intensity, venom and duration of it this time around has been remarkable and disturbing.

I barely know how to respond to all of this. This industry is so profoundly important to me, and these SJW's have devoted themselves to actually improving the class of experiences our culture can share in. To see the growth of this industry resisted so aggressively is legitimately upsetting. I understand gaming is in its infancy overall, and all mediums had to progress beyond their own adolescent limitations, but this is awful.

Non-gamers have approached me about the violence, the sexuality and anything else the public sees as being mishandled by the games industry, but this is the first time in my life I am ashamed by what our industry has cultivated. I don't know the factors leading to this are entirely the fault of the industry, but this cannot be set aside. This is acidic, and needs to be addressed, and purged. Fuck these people.

Agreed. Last week was shit, but I got back my faith in video games somehow, but now these issues are cropping up again and again, and I am deeply ashamed of our fellow gamers. I might return to simply being an illustrator for a while until this situation has improved. I don't want to make games for these people.

Non-gamers have approached me about the violence, the sexuality and anything else the public sees as being mishandled by the games industry, but this is the first time in my life I am ashamed by what our industry has cultivated. I don't know the factors leading to this are entirely the fault of the industry, but this cannot be set aside. This is acidic, and needs to be addressed, and purged. Fuck these people.

Well put. I've always been a little embarrassed about playing games - it's not something I mention to people I meet unless they bring it up first. However, these past couple of weeks have made me really ashamed to be associated with such people. I find it baffling that people will go to such extremes, I don't see how they think it'll further their (admittedly stupid) cause. 

This puts a bunch of stuff better than I can:

The Truth About Zoe Quinn

A lot of the women in our industry exist in a constant state of fear. Women who make games and would never dream of connecting their face or real name with a Twitter account, just in case. Women who would never go indie. Women who are terrified of starting a crowdfunding campaign but who can’t get their dreams funded any other way, and so their dreams just die.

Are you okay with this? Is this the industry that you want?

Because this is war, and the truth is there’s no balanced reporting. There’s no “hearing both sides.” If you’re not speaking out with us or fighting for us, then you’re not some reasoned logician who is letting cooler heads prevail— the truth is you don’t give a shit about the women in the industry. You don’t care about the casualties. And you are part of the problem.

The truth about Zoe Quinn is that every woman in the industry is one unhinged ex-partner away frombeing Zoe Quinn, and if that doesn’t scare you, there’s no hope for us at all.

It annoys the shit out of me when, in response to someone pointing out harassment, someone like Security_Tubbs says "Hey hey wait up a minute let's look at the FACTS here". The facts are that people are being subjected to monstrous, dehumanising harassment, and pawing over accusations relating to their personal lives is very much a part of that harassment.

This is a good summary of the whole thing. Badass Digest has a lot of respect in the film industry - it's attached to one of Austin's most popular movie theatres, it employs some particularly excellent writers, and it covers the kind of movies that film nerds really like.

This is a good summary of the whole thing. Badass Digest has a lot of respect in the film industry - it's attached to one of Austin's most popular movie theatres, it employs some particularly excellent writers, and it covers the kind of movies that film nerds really like.

I linked to that article earlier but I think my post got buried pretty quickly because this thread is so active.  I'm going to repeat this part from the article because its similar a previous post I made

If it had been a man at the centre of the controversy, the attacks would never have happened. If a woman posted a rant as psychotic as Quinn’s ex did, she’d be lynched as a “crazy bitch” by the very same people currently holding up a blog post as incontrovertible proof of Quinn’s “guilt”, and the man in question would be Internet high-fived for getting some. The original accusations were 0% about “exposing corruption in the gaming industry” and 100% about emotional revenge - and the subsequent attacks about hatred, pure and simple.

So, that image I posted last night got retweeted by some significant Twitter feminists and it's actually kinda just going around now. I've never had any response to anything I did on Twitter quite like that. My favorite thing about the whole experience is the number of people who simply can't support EA for any reason. I kinda put the link to Origin on that image to be cute, because man are people determined to not like anything made by that company.

I was impressed at the advice to boycott EA _and_ BioWare. DOUBLE BOYCOTT!

I guess FunCom also gets the DOUBLE BOYCOTT, since Ragnar Tornquist is still technically working there and The Secret World is published by EA... Or maybe it only gets HALF BOYCOTT because Tornquist is only part-time and you can buy their games directly as digital downloads.

So complicated, my feelings.

Here is an article about the convulsive death of the gamer-identity.

http://dangolding.tumblr.com/post/95985875943/the-end-of-gamers

I'm starting to think that this crazy-as-shit reaction to inclusiveness should be compared to other identity poilitics like nationalism or religion. The reactions are so similar, the need to draw proper boundaries between who is an authentic member and who is not, the calls to protect the purity of their identity.

And of course I've already seen someone post a photoshop of the polygon story about Sarkeesian leaving her home over threats into something like "Sarkeesian gets more press by playing the victim card again." What utter filth some people are.

But she wasn't logged in to Twitter! And she screencapped it 12 seconds after the tweet was pospdisgdkjsnds,mdn akjghshbsandas

3454581387_a677f0b64f.jpg

One of the pieces of "evidence" against Zoe actually being doxxed was that the number that people were spreading around for her dad was linked to an auto shop that was closed. As though that meant that he for sure was not getting harassed. That's what amounts to evidence nowadays.

I want one. ):

Someone else may have waited until the next page to do this, but

Someone else may have waited until the next page to do this, but just in case.

Is this legit? I saw Olly saying he wont sell it, but it feels weird giving this random internet store money for his design.

Nope, he did not!

I checked his profile before posting, and when I checked now, there's a fake profile with his name and image spamming the link;

https://twitter.com/ollymoss/status/504752849415196673

Scroll down a bit and notice "Olly Moss @tvtroung1994" posting the link over and over again.

I'd suggest reporting the account for spam, since that's what it's doing :)

Ah shit, sorry, got conned by the fake account :(

Hermie, can you remove the link from your quote of me, please?

I'd suggest reporting the account for spam, since that's what it's doing :)

Yeah, I did that, but forgot to mention it. Everybody pile on the report train!