Roderick

Feminism

This has been a truly dark zenith in a dark year of gaming bullshit. On top of the cited examples, I really think the anonymity is a tremendous enabler. 

Also, if I can just dump some bile. It crushes me that actual creators are being hurt by these anime avatar'd losers. Not a one of them creates or contributes anything of value. This isn't the activity of a successful person. 

Women, amirite???????? *fart*

:hat1:

This week has made me really despondent at points. There are things I work on where I feel like I'm fighting the entire audience because of sexist, harassing bullshit. Overall, it's left me angry, less inclined to mince words, and determined to call it out when I see it. I think Liz might be right about their level of vitriol being a dying struggle rather than an escalating warplan. It's mature of her to pity them, but as far as I'm concerned, I'm angry, it's open season on misogynerds and mockery is the best weapon.

these anime avatar'd losers

owww

I think Liz might be right about their level of vitriol being a dying struggle rather than an escalating warplan.

This is something I wonder a lot: It's a nice thing to believe, but I wonder if it being such a nice thing to believe is why I'm inclined to believe it, rather than it actually being supported by the evidence.

I already came up with the solution. We need an all heterosexual white male game-journalism monastery where the most pure can play games in isolation and report their objective findings to this small group who feels under-represented by more mature publications. Now it just needs to be installed.

Why can't some of these hacker types be on the other side of this argument and start hacking the hackers?

Why can't some of these hacker types be on the other side of this argument and start hacking the hackers?

1. Escalating situations is not an answer
  2. If you are knowledgeable enough about security to perform these kinds of attacks, you can be paid to leverage your knowledge in other tasks
  3. You have no idea who is actually doing it
  4. Even if you did, you would be under the same legal threat of prosecution regardless of your intent
  5. They have the capability to retaliate, so why take all these risks and waste your own time?

Why tear more things down when we can build... a monastery on an island far away with its own LAN network that does not connect to the internet. Games are ferried across the moat once a week.

This week has been so goddamn shitty. Utterly rage inducing bullshit. What's WRONG with these people? FUCK. I so hope that both Quinn and Fish are alright and get all the support they need.

I'm as angry as all of you about the treatment of Quinn, her friends, her associates and anyone who has tried to defend her.  But I also fear what kind of suppressing effect this is having.   The piece sarah linked to talked about why would women even want to make themselves the target by being in the games industry and speaking up.  We know that there are women games journalists (and probably devs I don't know of) who just quietly disappeared over the last few years.  Went on to other things.  It wasn't worth it.  I worry that the valuable voices we have right now might be gone in a couple of years, processed through the meat grinder (I think it was Mattie Brice who warned about this in a piece, but I can't find which one it was). 

I worry about the industry preserving who it has, and fostering the next generation.  And none of that is happening. 

Why tear more things down when we can build... a monastery on an island far away with its own LAN network that does not connect to the internet. Games are ferried across the moat once a week.

Question: Why would we build a sweet monastery full of LAN machines and then give it to a bunch of douchebags?

Question: Why would we build a sweet monastery full of LAN machines and then give it to a bunch of douchebags?

Ha! :tup:

It's a beautiful dream Clyde, but lets not give dreams to dickbags.

Because it will be the only source of objective games-journalism, protected from the things that the conservative minority claims is ruining the integrity of reviews. Once that exists, we can simply refer to the weekly monastic-report when people claim that their desire for non-social-justice game-reviews is being unfulfilled. Then we can go on with out diverse and informed adult-lives in peace.

Because it will be the only source of objective games-journalism, protected from the things that the conservative minority claims is ruining the integrity of reviews. Once that exists, we can simply refer to the weekly monastic-report when people claim that their desire for non-social-justice game-reviews is being unfulfilled. Then we can go on with out diverse and informed adult-lives in peace.

I love your idea, clyde, but there's only a matter of time until the scandal comes out that these objective men were birthed by women and are therefore tainted with subjectivity from the start.

Love the idea clyde!

Also, my objective review of this week in video games related social media:

:spiraldy:

I love your idea, clyde, but there's only a matter of time until the scandal comes out that these objective men were birthed by women and are therefore tainted with subjectivity from the start.

I can understand their frustration; the feminist cabal always wins.

There have been some interesting developments in science lately. Maybe my plan will come together when test-tube babies are sent to the moon. "I only read game reviews from the moon. Jumping on the moon is more realistic, that's why the reviews are so much better. Everyone here has Earth-gravity bias"

Couldn't we just keep them in some sort of tank of foul goop like in the Matrix? It's much more sciencey, and therefore more objective, and probably a lot closer to the kind of environment they're used to living in. Slap a Mountain Dew logo on it and they won't even notice a difference.

I worry about the industry preserving who it has, and fostering the next generation.  And none of that is happening. 

The industry as a whole won't, because large, effective, wealthy parts of it don't give a shit about any of these issues (for instance, see Develop and MCV's coverage of ZQs harassment and Phil Fish today. Also, edit related edit. The first version they posted was more than twice as long, named ZQ, had a load of Phil Fish quotes and gossip, and seemed to be written to mock him).

A healthier games culture could foster that generation though, and a part of being more diverse and inclusive is not framing games as exclusively commercial ("Industry", or at least the games industry I know, cannot do that). I fear building that culture will suffer if women are driven out of the public eye. To that end, I want to show as much public support as I can without it becoming monotonous or obsequious.

MCV has a lot of balls to say anything about this, given it was them (now that I remember) that had a Square employee writing for them and giving Hitman favorable press.

That Hitman piece by Ben Parfitt was the single worst piece of games journalism I've ever read. The chain of surly updates taking pops at their rivals as the day went on was unintentionally hilarious though.

Internet is literally Hitler.

I feel like warm, affectionate, real-life support communities of artists and hackspaces are the antidote to this noise. A proper indie dev community may not need to exist. To hell with the internet. Make pilgrimages to artist monasteries, set up residencies...