Roderick

Feminism

I think that writing off a person's work for moral reasons related to the author is ridiculous when they are dead and therefore won't gain any material and psychic benefits from you consuming and liking their work.

Burroughs is worth mentioning, for me personally, as I was around while he was still alive, was introduced to his work and history while he was still alive, and never had any of the reaction that I've had towards Allen.  His death isn't nearly as far back in history as most of the other examples that have been brought up.

Yes, maybe I should try reading your posts

This week would be William S. Burroughs' 100th birthday, and he spent the last couple of decades of his life in Lawrence, Kan., the town I've lived most of my adult life in or around.  I was here for a couple of years before he died, though I never encountered him.  

Anyway, I wanted to argue that Burroughs seems to have at least taken responsibility for what he did and that Vollmer's death seems to be the result of a consentual stunt gone horribly wrong but then I realized how it really sort of boils down to "I like the guy".

Glad someone posted that so I wouldn't have to!

We went and saw Laverne Cox, of Orange is the New Black, speak tonight and it was fabulous.  Funny, poignant, at times painful and depressing.  If she's ever speaking in your neck of the woods, I'd suggesting going.

I had a lot of problems with that Laura Penny article. I am also a woman with short hair and I've never once thought of my hair as a political statement. I cut it short because I think it looks good and I've gotten a ton of compliments from women AND men about it. Declaring that short hair is some kind of a middle finger to the patriarchy is a little misguided because it plays into the whole "I don't care what other people think about my appearance," which is something that plenty of straight men fetishize, almost as much as they fetishize more standardly attractive women. Cut your hair if you want, but don't pretend that it's a subversive, feminist act.

I'm really sorry that Felicia Day is getting all of these dumb comments, but I'm also kind of glad. They're causing to her to actually speak out against some of the stupider aspects of being a woman instead of keeping silent about them. The Daily Dot article has a quote of her basically saying "I'm a gamer first, a woman second," which is a nice sentiment but it's so far removed from actual reality. The truth is that society will alway see you as a woman first and make judgements based on that. Acting like you can just ignore that is implicitly supporting a system that puts all kind of weird pressure on women to perform in certain ways. I don't expect Day to become a feminist crusader, but she definitely has a large platform to draw attention to these issues and I would hope in the future that she doesn't shy away from them.

I like short hair which means anyone with short hair is ultimately trying to please me. I feel so special!

I think that writing off a person's work for moral reasons related to the author is ridiculous when they are dead and therefore won't gain any material and psychic benefits from you consuming and liking their work.

I know this has been dragged out quite long enough, but I'd just add that it might be relevant whether there are any surviving victims, too -- I'd say there's the potential for at least as much psychological harm to them as psychological benefit to the artist.

The reporter in that comic who offers to insert his penis into her vagina, is that a play on something that actually happened? Not that I don't think it might be something that happens, just it seems like everything else was a direct play on something specific that has been in the news earlier (like the excellent/sad/the worst Penny Arcade "cameo") and was wondering if this was something that's also been reported on?

That's an excellent comic, btw. It is the best/worst.

The reporter in that comic who offers to insert his penis into her vagina, is that a play on something that actually happened? Not that I don't think it might be something that happens, just it seems like everything else was a direct play on something specific that has been in the news earlier (like the excellent/sad/the worst Penny Arcade "cameo") and was wondering if this was something that's also been reported on?

Oh gosh yes, it was horrible. Though, less a play on what happened, rather exactly what happened. I can't remember the names involved, but someone will be along with the link soon enough.

Regrettably, it was. It happened I believe two weeks ago? Surely we posted something a few pages back about it, I don't have the heart to dig it up.

Figured it might hint at this, brought up a few pages earlier.

Dear lord.. What the fuck?!

Like. My penis. For your vagina.

What compels someone to.. say this stuff?! How..

Fuck..

EDIT: Appropriately the comments are full of people making sure we know that this isn't really a problem and that she should've just told him to stop and how all men aren't awful, so stop making us feel awful..

Dear lord.. What the fuck?!

What compels someone to.. say this stuff?! How..

Fuck..

EDIT: Appropriately the comments are full of people making sure we know that this isn't really a problem and that she should've just told him to stop and how all men aren't awful, so stop making us feel awful..

According to him; mental health and substance abuse issues.

Even if that is true, it's completely fucked up. 

Having long hair seems like a pain in the ass, I don't fault anyone for wanting to get rid of it. And who in their right mind would wear high heels?

Having long hair seems like a pain in the ass, I don't fault anyone for wanting to get rid of it. And who in their right mind would wear high heels?

My wife is 6 foot tall and likes to wear heels so she can tower over almost every man in the room, including me. 

Is the hair thing even a feminism issue? Slightly reminds me of a similar situation with Metallica ages ago. People just seem to feel entitled to the lifestyle choices of public figures.

Guess it doesn't even matter, it's utterly bizarre either way.

THEY MAKE MY CALVES LOOK SEXY, OK?

Yes, that's right. I'm a sexy chick. Don't be jealous.

I'll stop derailing now.

I've never understood gendered aspects of life that so clearly having nothing at all to do with gender. Clothing, hairstyles, even fucking colors get associated with gender. It takes all of a second to realize it's a bunch of bullshit based on no inherent quality of the thing. How can a color have a gender? Why is baking a 'female thing'? Why is appreciating flowers, or sowing for that matter?

The biggest 'fuck you' sign on the wall is our association of pink with female babies and blue with male babies. This is so ludicrously ingrained that no one even thinks about it, but a hundred years back the colors were the reverse. What switched it up? Why commercial companies of course, such as greeting card businesses.

Conclusion: ruling ideas on attributes of gender are shallow and based on nothing.

Uh, what would count as something that does have something to do with gender if colors, activities, and so on don't have anything to do with gender? Gender is a social concept that picks out various things that we choose to see as gendered - it's not like there's a master list of objective scientific genders out there in the world with a corresponding list of related properties that we deviate from at our peril. If pink is a girl color then pink is a girl color - it's not like we can ever be wrong about that.

So, I saw that old timey comic posted on Kotaku and went through the comments. There was the expected deluge of disgusting shit, combined by some very empathetic comments, but this one caught my eye, posted by someone called Arden. The post had two screenshots, one from a Twitch chatroom of a female video game streamer, the other being from a male video game streamer.

The differences are unsurprisingly, yet disgustingly, apparent:

Female Streamer:

ku-xlarge.jpg

Male Streamer:

ku-xlarge.jpg

Absolutely depressing and disgusting.

And you know what? I live with the first image. That first image incapsulates the other human being sleeping right now in my dorm room in the bed next to mine. If I were talk to you guys about the shit my roomate said, not only would it be a long ass post, but I'm sure you'd be so fucking sick to your stomach, you'd never finish reading it.

I'm actually amazed that I've managed to keep cool for the time I've been in college so far. Anyway, shitty sexist assholes on Twitch are assholes, I gotta deal with living with one of them. 

Oh my god, it's like living with Reditt. Fuck my life, haha. :[