Roderick

Feminism

You have scarred me for life.

My work here is done, time to go dancing.

iRwoqWK.jpg

goddamnit senran kagura

this thread used to be about important things

I think it's funny that The Binding of Isaac can't get on the 3DS because Nintendo doesn't want religious content in games, but make a video game all about objectifying women and Nintendo couldn't give less of a shit.

I think it's funny that The Binding of Isaac can't get on the 3DS because Nintendo doesn't want religious content in games, but make a video game all about objectifying women and Nintendo couldn't give less of a shit.

Haha I was literally about to say exactly that, and I scroll down to see your post.

Fucking Nintendo.

To be fair, fucking Nintendo of America.  As far as I know, the vast majority (or even all) of the censorship that Nintendo is known for has come from NoA.  The Japanese publishing division doesn't appear to care much at all.

I don't have the time to care about the details! I'm burning with righteous anger!

I can't think of a single reason why they'd put it on the 3DS, though.

I can think of two.  :eyebrow:

Is the subtitle seriously "Burst"?

Didn't they mean "Bust"?

Ugh. I'm sorry.

Is the subtitle seriously "Burst"?

Didn't they mean "Bust"?

Ugh. I'm sorry.

I don't have anything real to contribute, but I just wanted to say that this

I can't think of a single reason why they'd put it on the 3DS, though.

I can think of two.  :eyebrow:

is by far the my favourite thing i've ever read on this forum.

Ugh. Usually nowadays my only source from video games comes from Idle Thumbs and I forget all this gross stuff exists. :(

Dammit Japan.

Description of original Conception: The player's goal to charm pure, innocent girls from Granvania National Star God Academy, raise their affection for Itsuki, then produce and take the "Star Children" to explore dungeons and battle "impurities".

original.gif?v=1

An acquaintance of mine is convinced that this character is going to end up transgender, which will be handled about as subtly and thoughtfully as Japanese media usually handles GLBT issues.

I've heard that rumor.  But this is Kojima....though whether that is a good or a bad thing is nigh on impossible to tell.  He has included multiple male gay/bi characters in the past in the MGS series, often with little fanfare.  Sure, they were the typically insane characters one expects from MGS, but they were just gay the way most characters are just straight.  He was doing that before anyone else in mainstream development would have considered it.  And Peace Walker had these goofy "dating" side missions, one of which was a same-sex date between Snake and another man. 

But I have to admit I wince a little at imagining any Japanese dev writing a transgender character.  The only one I can think of that is even close is from Deadly Premonition, and that's one of the most cringe worthy parts of that game (and not necessarily transgender, it's not clarified). 

I've heard that rumor. But this is Kojima....though whether that is a good or a bad thing is nigh on impossible to tell. He has included multiple male gay/bi characters in the past in the MGS series, often with little fanfare. Sure, they were the typically insane characters one expects from MGS, but they were just gay the way most characters are just straight. He was doing that before anyone else in mainstream development would have considered it. And Peace Walker had these goofy "dating" side missions, one of which was a same-sex date between Snake and another man.

But I have to admit I wince a little at imagining any Japanese dev writing a transgender character. The only one I can think of that is even close is from Deadly Premonition, and that's one of the most cringe worthy parts of that game (and not necessarily transgender, it's not clarified).

It doesn't seem fair to prejudge an attempt to represent a minority character based on the artist's race or location. I don't see how grouping all Japanese developers together in their efforts and abilities is useful to anyone.

It is a fair point that Kojima has handled gay and lesbian characters better than most Japanese media generally does.

It doesn't seem fair to prejudge an attempt to represent a minority character based on the artist's race or location. I don't see how grouping all Japanese developers together in their efforts and abilities is useful to anyone.

Certainly, but Kojima's stated that there is a 'reason' the character is wearing skimpy clothing instead of appropriate battle attire. If that reason is 'she is transgender', then the portrayal of the character is basically guaranteed to be reductive.

But I have to admit I wince a little at imagining any Japanese dev writing a transgender character.  The only one I can think of that is even close is from Deadly Premonition.

There's one in one of the Ace Attorney games. It's problematic, to say the least.

The character was born female and identifies as female, but was raised male. When you first meet her, she is passing as male, wearing a chest brace with springs down the arms for strength training. She has 'flexing' and 'shouting' animations that the character claims are her attempts to be more masculine. You 'out' her during a courtroom scene with a pseudo-therapy theme, where she immediately starts using stereotypically feminine posturing and language (with new 'tutting' and 'twirling' animations), and thanks the main character for 'freeing' her. For the rest of the case, she uses both feminine ('tutting' and 'twirling') and masculine ('flexing' and 'shouting') animations. It's possible to read this as the protagonists clearing the air, allowing the transgender character to feel comfortable in her chosen gender, and she immediately starts overcompensating - but her underlying personality, that of an assertive legal professional who is passionate about art, stays consistent, and she is accepted by her friends and peers once out. It's also possible to read this as developers having an 'acceptable' transgender character, whose gender identity is brought up unnecessarily, is forcibly outed because her psychology is reading as 'abnormal', and then thanks the protagonists for taking their choice away from her. I have transgender friends who read it both ways.

I thought he already said the reason behind her character design was "so the figurines will sell and people will want to cosplay her."