Roderick

Feminism

Ryse was a launch title though. They would have been under all kinds of pressure to get the thing out on time. Fixing the above in some way was probably on someone's to do list, along with the multitude of other stuff. "That looks about right" was not the error of judgement here, more "This is appropriate to a dramatic scene". The direction and art decisions that led to it happening are icky.

I don't understand why people think breasts are composed of body fat. Body fat doesn't secrete milk. 

But anyway, this is just broken whether it's a physics simulation or not. It doesn't look slow motion, just weird. Rodi's description is accurate, it's as if there's an invisible line tied to each nipple and connected to the big toe.

Well, yeah, but someone still made the call that "Sure, that looks about right, put it in". I'm actually not sure whose job it is to tweak physics settings like that. It should be an animator, but games being games it probably just as often isn't.

Oh a new post --

Um. Shouldn't it be?

The glands that secrete milk aren't what give breasts their shape or mass. Note that while all mammals give milk, very few of them have breasts in the sense that we mean when we say it. Breasts are mostly fat.

Geez I wasn't giving an excuse or anything. Just sort of explaining how I figured it happened.

I didn't read it as an excuse, I just thought it was worth pointing out that even if these things are technical in nature there's still an element of artistic intent -- even if it is just an oversight.

One would think that, had they not enough resources to do breast jiggle properly, they'd just leave it out, rather than code it like fabric. Many body parts that should jiggle don't in video games.

One would think that, had they not enough resources to do breast jiggle properly, they'd just leave it out, rather than code it like fabric. Many body parts that should jiggle don't in video games.

What the guy in the article said made sense to me - they wouldn't have specifically coded it like fabric, they would have applied a fabric effect to her whole body (in order for the dress to move properly), and then would've been in the situation of deciding whether to put the extra effort in to make her breasts move properly or not. (And made the wrong decision there!)

The way I see it, the issue isn't necessarily rooted in the implementation phase, but in the design phase. An outfit like that shouldn't have been chosen, as they weren't able to execute on it technically. And then more importantly, it shouldn't have been chosen for a myriad of reasons to do with gender representation, objectification, etc.

I don't think it was that, either. I think it was the whole model, as in body and clothing together. So, the clothing had the cloth physics, and the boobs sort of followed around.

So basically they wanted to show off their sweet, sweet cloth physics, I guess, and didn't give a damn about the boobs?

EDIT: What Jason said. I guess I should read that article, huh.

What I realised as I wrote my post is how many bad decisions were made in sequence to allow this to be present in the final game. It's just another pretty decent argument for objectification being a systemic societal issue as opposed being due to the "odd bad apple" or an "unfortunate coincidence."

Has anyone else seen this Battle of the Sexes game?  I keep seeing ads for it and every time I do I get angry because this game looks horrible in so many ways.  It's basically a trivia/knowledge board game, except the teams are men vs women where each team has to answer questions about the opposite sex.  Men get asked stuff about clothing, makeup, cooking, shoes, poetry, etc.  Women get questions about cars, tools, sports, more sports, machinery, etc.  It is the worst thing.

I have this actually. It was a misguided present from my well-meaning younger brother. It's as silly and terrible as you'd imagine. It's pretty fun to play for the laughs though!

I watched that video and assumed the attitude behind it was, "well, God of War had tits."

I don’t want to be on anybody’s side. Gender warriors please go home.

I don't really see the point of making all of these comparisons between men and women, particularly in such concrete terms. It feels weird to have your thesis be preceded by the above quote, then be constantly making qualitative judgments about members of a gender like "workaholics are mostly men" or "hardly any women improvise."

And a statement like:

Both men and women hold much more favorable views of women than of men.

Is just patently untrue, I don't know how you could say that unless you were blind to the inherent gender bias that exists in (pretty well) everyone's perceptions of everyone else.

In my mind, using gender as a lens for how people are treated is basically all that it is good for. People are people.

(Not trying to be combative here by the way. I hope it doesn't come across that way; I'm just thinking out loud in response to the link.)

And a statement like:

Both men and women hold much more favorable views of women than of men.

Is just patently untrue, I don't know how you could say that unless you were blind to the inherent gender bias that exists in (pretty well) everyone's perceptions of everyone else.
The most recent episode of Philosophy Bites describes almost the exact opposite being the case; specifically, that all people, including women (feminist or no) experience subconscious biases against women (a phenomenon that's mirrored in other minority groups). Strictly speaking, I suppose you could draw a distinction between implicit bias and consciously held opinions, but nevertheless it seems very naïve to suggest that women enjoy the favour of social biases.

Wait, what is this garbage? Is this actually real or some super sarcastic joke? I'm confused.

Nope, that looks an awful lot like a real "men's rights" site.  It's kind of a terrifying subculture that's developed in the last 10 years or so that is built on misogyny, a martyr complex and blaming women for everything wrong with the world. 

Even if the site itself wasn't serious, the commenters sure as hell are. 

I'm a huge proponent of free speech, even defending the rights of people like the KKK, neo-nazis and Sarah Palin to have their say.  But some of the articles on that site are about as dangerous as speech can get.  They verge on encouraging rape by telling men how to identify a slut who wants sex, and then reinforcing the idea that what women really want is for a dominating man to ravish them, no matter what they say. 

Yikes! Well hopefully this type of attitude pushes more people away from this horrible mentality rather than drawing people to it.

MRA is a baked in subsection of Reddit. A recursive wheel of entitlement and assholery.  

It's been a real banner week for vile male reaction to the EXISTENCE of women, that Depression Quest twitter thing, AND in the Might Number 9 revealing their new community manager is a WOMAN, who once drew FAN ART of herself as a robot in the game style. 

Might Number 9 revealing their new community manager is a WOMAN, who once drew FAN ART of herself as a robot in the game style. 

Did people go nuts over that?  I haven't really been paying attention to Mighty No. 9 since the kickstarter ended but that seems like a ridiculous thing to flip out about.