Roderick

Feminism

You know, I think maybe there's something to be said for them outright admitting "yeah we know it's wrong and dumb but we will make more money this way so fuck all y'all." Kind of refreshing. Obviously still gross as fuck, but at least it owns it.

I don't get why they bother including female characters in the first place, if they're going to pander exclusively to what the male demopgraphic wants? Do the guys who want scantily clad women actually want to play as a woman in a multiplayer game?

Do the guys who want scantily clad women actually want to play as a woman in a multiplayer game?

I've always wondered this too.  I mean, can you even ogle your character if it's first person?

I've always wondered this too.  I mean, can you even ogle your character if it's first person?

Would they possibly include female characters just to justify their usage in marketing materials? Evony eventually included some sort of Queen character to try make their "Play discreetly, m'lord" ads seem less ridiculous.

I always have such a difficult time with temporary solutions. I agree that intoxication elevates the risk for women unfairly, but we should also be trying to create circumstances in which the ladies can walk around naked, high as a kite, with little risk of being harmed.

http://www.slate.com/articles/double_x/doublex/2013/10/sexual_assault_and_drinking_teach_women_the_connection.html

Some people just want to cause chaos and, in turn, command the attention of a given group of people. This thread is not the only example of thestalkinghead doing this. Ignore button, people.

We have an ignore button?

That Crytek thing really just makes me... tired.

We have an ignore button?

It's hidden in the popup menu on your name in the top-right. Took me some time too. I never expected to have to use it here.

Wow, I was a few months behind with this thread and catching up took almost a whole day.

Most of the confusion seemed to be over a simple question: whether being a feminist means joining a cult or whether it's just a position.

Until it turned out that actually it was about feminists not caring about the horrible oppression imposed on men, such as having to play more games of tennis than women would to win a tournament.

Well, flicking through the last few pages has been somewhat educational for me, at least. I've been frequently frustrated with the simpering "why call it feminism when we should be fighting for equality" non-position that's been rearing its head again lately, not just for how clearly most people espousing it fail to understand the salient points behind feminism, but in how limp and non-committal it is, how it refuses to meet reality on it's on terms and instead ekes out a safe neutral space where you can't be held accountable to your politics. However, I've had my own qualms with self-identifying as a feminist which I now realize were just as limp as pointless, thanks to a bunch of great posts explaining feminism and what it means to support it in very clear terms. My issue with the term wasn't that it didn't account for other positions, since I mostly find myself coming down on that side of the argument anyway, but rather that I had the impression that identifying as feminist meant that you had to be actively forwarding the cause in some way instead of just adopting the attitude in everything you do. Now that I actually think about it, not identifying for such a waffly reason really only weakens the term by strengthening the position that you can be "all for" feminism and acknowledge everything the movement stands for without actually attaching your name to it, no matter how inconsequential your voice might be.

So, thanks for clearing that up.

Oh god that whole episode was worth it thank you

At the risk of starting another shitstorm, know what branch of feminism I don't like? Trans-exclusive radical feminism. As in the branch that discriminates against transgender people. I'm only bringing this up because noted anti-LGBT hate group The Pacific Justice Institute flat-out made shit up about a transgender student harassing fellow students last week and got called on their bullshit and noted TERF Cathy Brennan spoke on their behalf. Worst.

Oh god that whole episode was worth it thank you

Yeah, it 's been super encouraging to read some people getting educated by the shrapnel of informed posts bouncing off tsh.

I have generally abstained from posting in here, and I am a little afraid about the reactions to this link I wrote:

http://www.arcadianrhythms.com/2013/10/releasing-the-inner-man-child/

It came out a couple of days before the Rock Paper Shotgun article rooted around the same sort of thing. Anyway would appreciate feedback, the pointing out of flaws etc, as it something I have become increasingly tired of in the gaming community (I wrote a similar piece called 'Does this look Sexist to you?' a couple of years back). 

By and large some of the sentiments I've read here I've found pretty distressing as this is definitely a community I respect. Finding attitudes that I have little respect for in terms of being anti-feminism is disappointing.

What is the thesis of the essay you linked?

It looks like you are making an argument, but I'm having difficulty figuring out what you are claiming.

The thesis? Essay?

Just kidding.

The main point is that, basically, I am pretty sick of the treatment and attitude of the gaming community at large towards women in gaming. A problem that I consider myself to have contributed towards with some ill advised writing and flawed outlook.

It rambles a bit but one of the things that bothers me is that gaming and the way that it caters to its audience creates a a self-fulfilling cycle. The community identify with Judd Nelson's character, and don't believe that it is them that are troubled and need a reality adjustment and that really it is everyone who criticises the thing they love that needs adjusting.

Scott Adams (Gilbert guy) just did an AMA over at Reddit, and I was pretty eager to see whether he was getting grilled for his hilarious blog post on men's rights (since deleted, but you can read it here). Well, he didn't exactly get grilled, but he did respond at least.

3L5OdCx.png

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/1p2lwp/i_created_dilbert_ask_me_anything/ccy3ckc

The comments then descend into fawning and excuses about how people misconstrued his tone and don't actually understand the content of his argument... and then nobody bothers to explain what the fuck he actually meant. Pretty much all the comments attempting to call him on his shit are downvoted, because Reddit. Really though I don't really see how his post could be misinterpreted that wildly, it seems pretty cut and dry what he's trying to say even if you ignore the unfortunate rhetoric. But then you see that he posted stuff like the below image in response to reasonable objections and you realise, oh, he just doesn't give enough of a shit about what he's saying to actually attempt to stand behind it in any meaningful way, so he'd rather blame the internet for not being "rational" enough because that is definitely not a problem he or his devoted readers have.

o3PLOKF.jpg

o3PLOKF.jpg

Ugh... In addition to the museum-quality instance of gaslighting on display, I think Mr. Adams could use some time reading up on the Dunning-Kruger effect.

I was really confused because at first I thought he was making fun of MRAs, and then I had to read that paragraph where things shift like five times before I realized he was basically just saying "thank god I'm a man".