Roderick

Feminism

No it doesn't.

well in a lot of cases it does

Sometimes it's a simple as telling your friends that their woman driver jokes are for jerks. Sometimes it's as simple as joining a twitter campaign to have women represented on banknotes better. And sometimes it takes getting shot in the head, surviving and then touring the world spreading the message that girls deserve and education too.

Nobody expects you to go through the last one, but the first two are within the reach of anyone.

Also, protests have always gotten people arrested, what's new there?!

Edit: ugh, and can we try to stop sending such gross music to the top of the charts.

yeah i would tell people that they are being sexist in a lot of cases, but i actually have to admit that i wouldn't personally go to extreme lengths for no personal gain, i have my own shit to deal with right now, sorry about that   :getmecoat

Sometimes it's as simple as joining a twitter campaign to have women represented on banknotes better.

nowadays joining a twitter campaign to have women represented on banknotes better just gets jane austen on your tenners

@Louis_CK_Comedy: If someone makes a racist/sexist joke, say, with total seriousness, “I don’t get it, can you explain it” Then watch them crash & burn.

They made us read Emma in my all boys secondary school. Oh the humanity.

They made us read Emma in my all boys secondary school. Oh the humanity.

Count yourself lucky, we got fucking Mansfield Park.

@Louis_CK_Comedy: If someone makes a racist/sexist joke, say, with total seriousness, “I don’t get it, can you explain it” Then watch them crash & burn.

That's brilliant.

I never understood the bossy accusation. I've seen the other double standards, but I can't remember a woman taking charge, and someone saying "She 's so bossy."

Man, depressing but also not at all surprising how that comic is still completely relevant.

I think dudes get called out for being bossy just as much as ladies, in my experience*, but the rest of that is definitely still true, and sad. I was actually thinking about the first one the other day, and how, in that regard, I've always made a "bad" man and a "good" woman, because I'm so unpopular oh woe is me (I'm jokes).

*YMMV, obvs. And, actually, now that I think about it, that may just be because I learned/worked in a male-dominated field (computer science/video games)! SO WHAT DO I EVEN KNOW HUH.

It's not just a question of whether guys get called bossy - of course they do - it's a question of whether women get called bossy in situations where guys wouldn't get called bossy because that behavior wouldn't be perceived of as bossy if a guy were to do it.

I don't think you can be bossy unless you aren't the boss. Bossy is bossing when you aren't the boss. Bossing when you are the boss is just doing your job succinctly.

This is pretty good.

it isn't just about dating, neither is it just for feminist men

It's amazing how much of that can really boil back down to "act like a mature, emotionally stable adult." :-P

Anyone who can, with a straight face, reject feminism in part because of what certain feminists say, and at the same time call themselves a men's right activist, is a fucking idiot.

I'm paraphrasing here:

[ Feminism is informing lawyers, child-care providers and psychologists to form a blog that calls for eugenically exterminating the male path of the human race. ]

What is it they say? If you can't stand for anything thestalkingdead, you'll fall for anything.

I'm paraphrasing here:

[ Feminism is informing lawyers, child-care providers and psychologists to form a blog that calls for eugenically exterminating the male path of the human race. ]

What is it they say? If you can't stand for anything thestalkingdead, you'll fall for anything.

i don't think that is paraphrasing, but if feminism is an umbrella of many different beliefs and approaches they don't stand for anything 

I guess I kinda know what you mean. You don't want to be called a feminist because of what (in your worldview) the crazy man-hating feminists believe. It's kinda like how some parties are disinterested in being part of PAX because of the rape-joke person's behaviour.

I guess I kinda know what you mean. You don't want to be called a feminist because of what (in your worldview) the crazy man-hating feminists believe. It's kinda like how some parties are disinterested in being part of PAX because of the rape-joke person's behaviour.

well, i think that is a reasonably good analogy  :tup:

i don't think that is paraphrasing, but if feminism is an umbrella of many different beliefs and approaches they don't stand for anything 

This strikes me as really naive, if not obtuse. What intellectual or ideological movement isn't and hasn't always been heterogeneous to the extreme? Even going back five hundred years to Renaissance and Reformation humanism, that wasn't the case. Did the Protestant reformation "stand for nothing" because there were Lutherans, Zwinglians, Calvinists, Anglicans, and fifty million different kinds of Anabaptists? Well, in the eyes of dyed-in-the-wool Catholics, it did, but I really shouldn't take this analogy any further.