Roderick

Feminism

While that is disgusting, I think this is pretty interesting.

http://tinycartridge.com/post/53194201527/you-had-a-50-50-chance-you-werent-even

I agree that Nintendo missed a good opportunity, but at the same time, as he admits, they did pick the female Wii Fit Trainer! That's a pretty great choice, I think. They could've done better, for sure, but hey!

Hahaha, that Republican jerk one is great It's not even because of bad misogynist joke, but because he somehow thinks Anita (or lots of women in general) must be poor and use government provided cell phones to play games. I mean I imagine you could probably install Bejeweled on one of those cheapo tracfones that you are supposed to get to find a job, but I can't imagine there's much overlap.

ALSO THE FREE MARKET IS AMAZING! HAVE YOU GUYS HEARD OF THIS THING CALLED THE FREE MARKET?

ALSO THE FREE MARKET IS AMAZING! HAVE YOU GUYS HEARD OF THIS THING CALLED THE FREE MARKET?

THERE CAN'T BE A FREE MARkET UNTIL WE GET RID OF BIG CORPORATIONS LIKE WALMART OR STARBUCKS!

:P

Also, those tweets are disgusting, and as a white male between the ages of 18 and 49, I feel like I should be apologizing.

Doors are simple. I'm getting a deja vu thoug, wasn't this discussed recently?

• Don't go out of your way to open doors for people
  • Open if they have hands full or otherwise difficulties or just if you think you would need a fraction of the effort they would to open it (e.g. don't go out of your way)
  • If they don't like it, that's their problem
  • Don't hold a door open if the other person is too far -- they might feel the need to hurry or to tell you that they're not gonna hurry -- it is usually awkward
  • If suddenly 50 people appear, they can fuck off

I think that about covers it. Depending on your mood you may ignore some of these rules.

Doors seem pretty simple: Open doors for whoever you want, but don't make a big deal out of it and don't act miffed if you're not thanked, because holy crap nobody owes you for holding a door open unasked-for. You're just opening a door.

Guys it's not as fun to pretend doors are the greatest social pressure imaginable when you categorically state that they're not that complicated.

):

Life gets complicated pretty quickly when you reach a glass door at the exact same time as another person approaching from the other side of the door. In this case, someone is probably going to be holding the door open for the other person but the rules are much more vague and there are 6 possible outcomes.

1. If the door opens to the inside, the person from that side could open the door and let the outside person through first...
  2. Or the person on the outside can awkwardly push the door in and try to hold it open near the hinge to let the inside person squeeze through...
  3. Or the person on the inside can go through the door first and then turn around and try to hold the door open for the person on the outside (this is even more awkward than 2)...
  4. Or the person on the outside can go through the door first and then turn around and try to hold the door open for the person on the inside (This is more awkward than 2 but less than 3)...
  5. Or both people can stare at each other longingly through the glass hoping one of them will make the first move...
  6. Or, fuck that door and both people search the building for another door to get out of that awkward situation.

I have no idea what this thread is about nowadays but I was pretty weirded out the other day when some dude at work held the office door open for me as I walked across the entire car park.

Don't hold a door open if the other person is too far -- they might feel the need to hurry or to tell you that they're not gonna hurry -- it is usually awkward

Damn, 10 minutes later I went and did exactly that. Misjudged the distance.

Life gets complicated pretty quickly when you reach a glass door at the exact same time as another person approaching from the other side of the door. In this case, someone is probably going to be holding the door open for the other person but the rules are much more vague and there are 6 possible outcomes.

1. If the door opens to the inside, the person from that side could open the door and let the outside person through first...
  2. Or the person on the outside can awkwardly push the door in and try to hold it open near the hinge to let the inside person squeeze through...
  3. Or the person on the inside can go through the door first and then turn around and try to hold the door open for the person on the outside (this is even more awkward than 2)...
  4. Or the person on the outside can go through the door first and then turn around and try to hold the door open for the person on the inside (This is more awkward than 2 but less than 3)...
  5. Or both people can stare at each other longingly through the glass hoping one of them will make the first move...
  6. Or, fuck that door and both people search the building for another door to get out of that awkward situation.

Not complicated. Person on pull side opens door and lets person on push side come through. Always. Done deal.

Not complicated. Person on pull side opens door and lets person on push side come through. Always. Done deal.

But... what about doors that open both ways?????

But... what about doors that open both ways?????

Then it's fucking complicated.

Just smash it. You will be both symbolising the deconstruction of the patriarchy and also opening an unobstructed point of ingress and egress (save for all the shards of glass).

I only open doors for people who walk backwards. Their arms are in the wrong place and they can't see it very well.

Latest door conundrum: Walking out of a small mall, a guy on the other side of the glass door pulled to hold it open for me, failing to realize it was an automatic door. The door proceeded to push him out of the way.

I guess the robots won that one.

A poem called Rape Joke.

(Not really posting this to start a debate or anything, but I wanted to share this moving text, and it's the best thread I could think of.)

Yeah, it just popped up on my Facebook feed. Honestly, I have no response, it's so powerful and arresting to me.

I was thrilled to see such positive reaction to that poem on my Twitter feed. Truly great stuff, required reading for everyone who is human.