Raff

Dishonored - or - GIFs By Breckon

I just started to play this today and I'll already debating whether to do like in Deus Ex and forget about what the game tells me and even if it says I "killed" someone because the rats got them and still consider it a "clean run". I notice corpses disappear when there are more than five so the last five corpses in the jail where tucked into the trash container and the four in the sewers were on top of boxes... I still got a few kills.I think somehow the people in the sewers got eaten. :(

EDIT: Oh... I finally figured out why people died. Remember when you have to place explosives to escape the prison? Remember the garbage bin next to it? The first time I played, I stored one body there and got one death, the second I stored four and got four deaths. On my final attempt I was about to put an unconscious body in there again until it hit me. And I finally got a clean kill run of that level, HUZZAH!

I wanted to go for a non-lethal approach as well, but I got one death the same way you did -- except I put the body across from the trash can. Since you find out so much later, I decided that I don't care that much about the non-lethality because the swordplay seems kind of cool.

Or is there a significant reward for going 100% non-lethal?

I wanted to go for a non-lethal approach as well, but I got one death the same way you did -- except I put the body across from the trash can. Since you find out so much later, I decided that I don't care that much about the non-lethality because the swordplay seems kind of cool.

Or is there a significant reward for going 100% non-lethal?

If you consider an achievement to be a significant reward.

Have they patched this game yet? I'd like to play it, considering that I paid $60 for it and it looks pretty good, but there's no way I'm replaying it when there's a significant chance that it'll just get bugged and make me lose all my progress again.

Like I said, I don't really care if the game says that all of the sudden of the guards I took down non-lethally died eaten by rats, I want to avoid because it seems like a horrible way to die, but I'm not going to replay a whole level just because of that, specially since the missions are ridiculously long now.

The game showing you a couple of people eaten by rats at the beginning is a good incentive to do your best to never see it happen again.

If you consider an achievement to be a significant reward.

Have they patched this game yet? I'd like to play it, considering that I paid $60 for it and it looks pretty good, but there's no way I'm replaying it when there's a significant chance that it'll just get bugged and make me lose all my progress again.

Significant chance? This is the first time I've ever heard of someone losing every single save file they have. I'd think if there was a significant chance of that happening, it'd be a bigger thing, wouldn't it?

I mean, not that I'm trying to downplay the significance of the event itself, as losing progress is the number one reason I'll quit a game, but... mrrrp.

Lork might've hit the "when you leave the house you entered the game crashes" bug which invalidates all your progress because your game ends at that point.

Does it destroy every save file? I'm confused by the phrase "all your progress". It's incredibly rare that a game crashes in such a way that it corrupts or deletes every single save file.

Do people still use separate save files? I rarely do these days. I just use quicksave.

Do people still use separate save files? I rarely do these days. I just use quicksave.

The game automagically autosaves every time you enter a new area, and every single one of those is a separate save file, I believe. It might only store X different autosaves, but there's definitely more than a few of them.

Also, that is a most egregious error! Never use only one save file! DANGER DANGER.

Quicksave is a different thing entirely, as it overwrites the quicksave slot every time you press the quicksave button.

I.... I... had no idea you could just quicksave. I have like six or seven save files. :(

I managed to beat the first mission after the escape with zero deaths! YES! I'm feeling pumped about all the powers I'm getting! Things are going to be real fun when I get to posses humans! MWA HA HA!

The game automagically autosaves every time you enter a new area, and every single one of those is a separate save file, I believe. It might only store X different autosaves, but there's definitely more than a few of them.

Also, that is a most egregious error! Never use only one save file! DANGER DANGER.

Quicksave is a different thing entirely, as it overwrites the quicksave slot every time you press the quicksave button.

The game keeps two rolling autosaves that can be overwritten by midlevel checkpoints, at which point it's already too late.

And stopping to make a manual save every time you would quicksave just so that you can have a chance of losing "only" an hour of progress instead of all of it is not an acceptable solution in 2012.

This game is amazing! Even if I'm playing pretty casually, not like I usually play these games. I left everything on default settings, including the objective highlights or whatever those things pointing to your objective(s) are called, out of the various highlight options.

I'm mostly trying to play sneaky dude, but when I fail and am seen, I try to quickly kill whoever noticed me. So far it's been pretty successful, and it's a bit too easy even because the noise doesn't seem to travel very far. If I had a dime for every time when I've missed a jump/blink, fallen and accidentally landed on top of a guard, then I'd have two or three dimes.

I'm also not bothering trying to find absolutely everything, but I do try to get the runes and charms.

The first mission end screen showed me that 11 bodies (could have said "unconcious" IIRC) were found -- does that mean they were found after I had left? Because I didn't see/hear about any of them being found during the mission.

The game keeps two rolling autosaves that can be overwritten by midlevel checkpoints, at which point it's already too late.

And stopping to make a manual save every time you would quicksave just so that you can have a chance of losing "only" an hour of progress instead of all of it is not an acceptable solution in 2012.

I was pretty sure that I had more than one autosave, as I abused it frequently when I discovered that for some reason someone had died and I didn't want to start the entire level over. As far as I know, autosaves only occur when you change areas - which means there are only a few per level, explaining why I had this incorrect impression. I suppose it might also occur on loading a save file, which could result in your getting stuck.

As to your second point... I have no idea why you're saying this to me like I ever suggested such a thing! I quicksave every other minute, sometimes more often, but I only manually save when I quit the game. SOMETIMES I'll do it in the middle of the game if it suddenly strikes me that I've been playing for a very long time. It's rare, though.

What I've seen it's seems like they will be mini challenges like in the Arkham games, which don't interest me at all.

I miraculously got a "clean hands" run, and I didn't even care that the game is glitched and didn't give it to me. My main complaint would be body stacking, since they seem to fall off surface way too easily, but in the end if the area didn't seem to have that many rats, I didn't bother to put them in a safe place, only a hidden one.

I played the game in such a conservative way that I had plenty of sleep darts when it ended.

My favorite moment in the game was in the Regent's Mansion, where I sneak in through the roof, took out a guard, hid and saved, only to see a overseer with that damn magic box. Just when I was about to pull the trigger I noticed that it had a hound following him, so I'd be in trouble. It's then I discovered that the scope in your mask when upgraded turns the crossbow into a sniper rifle. I shot the overseer from distance with a dart and the dog walked towards me, but it didn't notice me... The best part? Laying them all on a table in a humorous manner.

Q9kmO.jpg

The dog's head was bobbing and I just couldn't stop giggling! XD

I wonder if we should start a "Humorous Steam Screenshots" page?

Finished it. The game had a good length, though I could have dealt with it being even shorter (for example missing big parts of the flooded district). Towards the end my enthusiasm for it died down a bit.

I did ghost one mission but generally played stealthy-unless-caught and got the good ending.

This doesn't top The Walking Dead or FTL for goaty, but good game, and I'm glad games like this are still made!

Just completed this game :tup:

I finished with low chaos, and hardly killed anyone. I was forced to kill

the brothers

because for the non-lethal quest giver became hostile after I returned from his side quest. I didn't know that areas could be neutral/friendly, and that it also meant that thugs were not hostile. I guess it was magic that this guy found out I was the guy that put his minions to sleep.

At some point I adopted a single play style and use that to complete the game. So I mostly stuck to strangling people and remaining unseen. So I never used some of the weapons. I used the gun once for a duel and those weird plants. The crossbow I used more often, mostly sleeping darts. And I pretty much only used blink and that see-through-walls things. So my inventory was really stocked the whole time. I did try to get all runes and bone thingies. But on one map I apparently missed one, and due to the hostile thug boss I missed another one in the 3rd mission.

It took me about 20 hours to complete the game, I think I did all but one side mission. But given that I didn't get he granny cheevo, I missed another one.

Anyway, I had a lot of fun. Not sure if it's my GOTY, but it is in the top 3.

Sounds like we've adopted exactly the same play style. I'm finding possess really useful to peel guards off from bigger groups too though. With that, dark vision and blink, it's really starting to feel a bit easy on normal difficulty.

I'm quite pleased that this runs well on a macbook pro with all of the settings maxed. Call Of Pripyat runs like a dog on the same hardware.

Did everyone else find the corpse physics a bit buggy? I noticed once before when I put an unconscious guard down on top of a crate, it made a very loud noise and splattered blood everywhere. It seems it happened again without me noticing; I'm in the middle of a non-violent playthrough, but now have to repeat a Golden Cat mission. I choked everyone out, but the summary screen said one of them was killed.

Happy Dishonored DLC! Thread resurrection!

The Knife of Dunwall is out today. It's the first Dishonored DLC that adds more story to the Dishonored world. Instead of more Corvo you get to play as Daud, the assassin who killed the Empress. It overlaps the timeline of the main game at least in part. It's more Dishonored with more stabbing, powers, and whales. I'm pretty pumped up. Bought it last night, tooled around for a few minutes. Just long enough to remember how many of the mechanics I've forgotten.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/208575/

Get stoked about Dishonored again.

Looks absolutely excellent, can't wait to play it. Daud was a strikingly mysterious presence in the amazing world of Dishonored.

Shit man, still got great memories of my (chaos) ending. Such a great climax. Glad I decided to be a cunt.

I beat it. I'm fairly sure I missed things, and all this time off has turned me from Ghost into the Mr. Magoo of assassins. Trying to choke someone out and then haphazardly bludgeoning them to death with my sword.

I like it a lot. It's more of the good parts of Dishonored, and you get supercharged into having a bunch of skills quickly ala Minerva's Den. If you like Dishonored Dishonored, you should grab it and play it. Also more on the way, because this is just part 1.

I'm enjoying the heck out of the new DLC. It's interesting how booting up Dishonored again felt; like slipping on an old glove or a comfortable robe.