Raff

Dishonored - or - GIFs By Breckon

While I suppose I understand your point more completely, I don't think using the word "ghost" for a game of similar lineage means it should be beholden or even comparable to rules like that whether its use was coincidental in Dishonored or not. That sure does sound completely insane though!

Still going to petition for a Ghost Dad achievement run.

I don't think that anyone ever suggested that it should be beholden to the rules. I just took Frenetic Pony's reference to playing the game like a ghost to be a reference to ghosting the game.

AGH I LOVE THIS GAME SO MUCH. Lots of spoilers in this post.

*Edit* Sorry, didn't see anyone else using spoiler tags in the thread so made some assumptions.

I finished my third run, a Rambo kill everyone attempt. Two amazing things:

1) The "chaos" system is not binary. I had killed plenty of people in my first run, and Samuel expressed disappointment dropping me off at Kingsparrow Island, and said goodbye. This time, I was so murderous, he called me the worst of them all and then fired a pistol to give away my location to the guards. Then I killed him, and it was reflected in the ending scene!I want to know what happens if I get low chaos and then kill Piero and Sokolov.

2) You don't have to save Emily. The game will still end. Watching her fall was heartbreaking.

I've noticed a bug where I popped out of the artist's appartment and immediately got the "kill a dude with a wall of light" achievement, looks like a guard just committed suicide, I never hacked the wall of light and now I'm concerned that I'll get blamed for any random death in the world...

Also on PC is anyone else having this awful chug when loading saves and looking around for the first time? It happens at the main menu too when it does the pan from the beach to the street. After this it's fine, but it've had a few close quickloads where the game can lock up for a second while I'm doing a 180 to leg it. I guess it's pulling in assets, I just wish I could edit the ini file to tell it to preload all that stuff...

So i'm not too far in, but i'm not sure how i feel about Dishonored so far.

It seems to commit that sin of the designers building a whole bunch of really awesome tools into their game, and then giving you no reason to use any of them, and in actual fact punishing you for using them.

If they wanted to encourage a stealthy gameplay style, they should not have focused so much on a ton of lethal combat abilities.

Ostensibly this is supposed to be some morality system, i guess, but the choice is between experiencincing the full scope of gameplay potential and... not...

It's more than that though, it's the post-mission status screens that berate you for killing people and not being stealthy, it's the achievements all only rewarding stealthy play, it's all of that. It's a big sandbox to be sure, but i feel like i have somebody looking over my shoulder telling me that i need to play a specific way.

It is not like a Deus Ex because they have already made the choice for the player about how he should play, and it is not like Thief because the abilities are not all in service of that gameplay focus. It's somewhere inbetween and at conflict with itself.

Edit: Holy shit Filk, check those spoilers. Gah.

The claw, I've noticed some frame drop from loading assets but nothing as bad as it sounds for you.

Sno, I get what you're saying, but disagree that the designers had one play style in mind. I'm doing a second playthrough that's action focused and it feels just as natural to engage in a sword fight or wire a wall of light to be lethal as it does to sneak through the shadows. Aside from NPCs being more negative toward you and different endings I don't see how the game discourages any kind of playstyle. If anything, every kind of playstyle is encouraged. Speaking of achievements, it's simply not true that they're focused of stealth. Half of them are not possible to achieve without killing people.

If there's a criticism to be made it's that the game can't really be fully experienced in one playthrough. On that you are correct. Doing a stealth run necessitates ignoring most of the skills you can unlock.

But that's only an issue if you're viewing the game as a traditional linear narrative that you consume once and put aside. Quite the contrary I think it's one of the most replayable video games I've ever owned. There are so many things to do and so many different ways to do them that playing the game again doesn't feel even remotely dull.

But that's only an issue if you're viewing the game as a traditional linear narrative that you consume once and put aside. Quite the contrary I think it's one of the most replayable video games I've ever owned. There are so many things to do and so many different ways to do them that playing the game again doesn't feel even remotely dull.

I can see this, although it's bizarre that there's no option to replay a specific mission with abilities that you had later, or even just allowing you to set up abilities as you see fit at the start of the mission. Being able to mess around with different or outright stronger builds at various points of the game would skyrocket its replayability, I would imagine.

I just finished the Drowned District section and have a question for those that have completed that portion of the game:

If you don't go to retrieve your gear, as it's listed as an optional objective, do you just not get it back or do you receive it again in some other way later? You don't need to tell me how if that's the case and it'd be a spoiler to do so, I'm just curious about whether the designers literally allow you to lose your potentially upgraded crossbow and gun and your emblematic retractable blade.

The claw, I've noticed some frame drop from loading assets but nothing as bad as it sounds for you.

Yeah, I'm hearing it might be an issue specific to AMD cards. Again.

Little be annoyed at how trivial the game becomes once you've got level 2 blink and time bend.

Even playing completely non-lethal and on very hard I just steamrolled the last 2/3rds of the game.

Gwardinen, you can go back and play a level once you've completed it. You just have to select it from the main menu.

Gwardinen, you can go back and play a level once you've completed it. You just have to select it from the main menu.

Yes, but not:

with abilities that you had later, or even just allowing you to set up abilities as you see fit at the start of the mission. Being able to mess around with different or outright stronger builds at various points of the game would skyrocket its replayability, I would imagine.

You start the mission with whatever powers and upgrades you had the first time you started the mission. It is no different to loading a save game from the beginning of the mission - in fact, since Dishonored autosaves at the start of each mission and actually labels these autosaves differently to the usual autosaves, I would be quite surprised if that was not the literal process that was taking place. As a result, taking a substantially different set of powers would still require a completely new playthrough of a large section of the game, not least because even if you did go into a previous mission and make changes, you'd then have to replay every mission thereafter until you got to another you wanted to play differently. The changes would not in any way propagate forwards.

Also, since there is no "new game +" option, even within the system that exists you could never have more than a given number of runes to play with at the lower levels. For example, I could not experiment with what it would be like to do the High Overseer mission with just level two Possession and Bend Time, as there simply would not have been enough runes yet to pick those skills even if I just restarted the game entirely.

Ah, didn't realize that. How disappointing. Though I guess the thought behind it is committing to a certain play style and seeing how it effects the narrative. Still, there should at least be an optional 'go nuts mode' with all powers activated. At the very least a new game+ like you mentioned.

It'd be neat, but I can see how that feature would take a bit of work so I don't exactly consider it a flaw that the game doesn't have it - just a bit of a missed opportunity.

I love this game, but feel almost paralysed by fear of being spotted without knowing about it, or one of my choking victims dying from some unknown thing. If I spend this much time on every little thing, and find out I've accidentally or bugsidentally botched the unseen/non-lethal achievements at some point, I don't know what I'll do. I really do hope they patch in some way of checking that status whilst playing.

Very nice. I loved banging the sword against things to attract guards. It's such a great move, like ringing a dinner bell. "come and get it! (you bastards)"

I really really wanted to like the game, but the extremely narrow camera FOV made it pretty much unplayable for me. With such tunnel vision, I was having to move the camera around a lot, and it started giving me a headache. Unfortunately, since I bought it for the 360, the setting isn't changeable. Oh well :(

That's super lame. Even on PC you're only able to stretch it to 90˚ (default is 70˚ which I assume is what it is for 360)

Are you sitting pretty close to your tv? Usually that has the most noticeable effect on headaches due to narrow FOV.

I should definitely play with razors more.

I am on my fourth run now, which is I guess turning into a speed run. First time on Very Hard, and no mission has taken me more than 30 minutes including death reloads. I have never once in my life played a game four times back to back before, and I still want to go back and get some of the achievements after this (so far I have not been achievement hunting at all).

That's super lame. Even on PC you're only able to stretch it to 90˚ (default is 70˚ which I assume is what it is for 360)

Are you sitting pretty close to your tv? Usually that has the most noticeable effect on headaches due to narrow FOV.

Nope, it's just that in a big location I have to swing the camera around a crazy amount to see everything, I think.

Plus I end up alerting guys I can't even see, so I often end up in a straight up brawl when trying to be stealthy. The FOV is so narrow, I can run up behind a guy and not see another guy standing just a few feet to either side of him.

So I'm playing this thing super-slowly, all stressed out because I'm going for the non-detection, non-lethal achievement. I do a little reading, and it turns out there's all sorts of bugginess and weirdness that breaks these. In the first mission, there's the "poisoning" sub-mission, which apparently doesn't break it for you right away, but in a later mission. There's also someone you rescue, who then wanders around and end up getting themselves killed on your account.

So, from what I can gather, trying to go for these achievements is the most hopelessly frustrating thing ever. God damn it, why did they have to make those achievements?!

Okay, first mission slight spoiler. I'm going for the non-lethal, non-alerting achievement, but still wanted to get into the house guarded by two thugs. I was unable to choke any one of them out without the other noticing, so what I ended up doing was firing two bolts into the boards in the door, shattering them. The thugs then went full combat mode and killed the guy inside (don't know if that was someone important ...) after which I was able to choke them out nice and stealth like. Now, I dont have much experience and feel with the stealth AI system – I never got the "omg it's him" symbols over their heads, but they did end up fighting each other because of my bolt-shooting. Will this count as alerting anyone, do you know?

Also, later on there was a bunch of fights between guards and thugs and the survivors were eaten by rats (naturally!) This doesn't affect me in any way, does it?

Clean hands twist! Spoilers for last two missions:

I got to the last two missions with a Low chaos rating. First of all, at Hound Pits, once the soldiers were taken care of via arc pylon, I possessed Sokolov and walked him off the edge of the building, jumping out as soon as we started falling (experimenting on children deserves punishment). Piero went "hostile", which for him is cowering on top of his workshop, but when I finished the mission with Samuel I got the checkbox for no kills! So you can use suicides and still get clean hands, apparently.

Did the same with Havelock for fun (it's nice walking up up the lighthouse, takes about three possessions so you need enough Piero's Spiritual. In the end credits, instead of showing Sokolov and Piero curing everyone, the Outsider insinuated that the plague had to burn itself out, and the lab is shown cobwebbed and filled with body bags. Looks like Piero can't figure out the cure himself :(.

The sheer multitude of things to do in Dishonored is fantastic.

That is incredibly awesome. If only because possession-walking guards off cliffs has been a goal of mine for some time now.