Raff

Dishonored - or - GIFs By Breckon

It looks like we should be prepared for some weak swordfighting. Oh well.

Someone was complaining about this in the Skyrim thread, too. Melee combat is really stale. Sharp and blunt objects should feel dangerous! But I guess we haven't seen many melee innovations since

Die By The Sword was a terrible game though. . .

It looks like we should be prepared for some weak swordfighting. Oh well.

Someone was complaining about this in the Skyrim thread, too. Melee combat is really stale. Sharp and blunt objects should feel dangerous! But I guess we haven't seen many melee innovations since

Or Bushido Blade. I will say Jedi Outcast had some pretty sweet dueling before people just figured out they could macro 3 force powers and win.

Well, he joined Telltale between the first Bone and the first season of S&M, no? So this shouldn't apply retroactively past that point, because the rules of logic are very strict on this issue.

That's a shame. It really was a very very funny abuse of the title.

Who's a moderator around here? I'm now deeply ashamed of my boring thread title.

I could misuse the Ziggy account for this purpose, but I'm not sure if I know how to merge threads. Lets see...

It's probably because they've shown 1 (one) whole screenshot that didn't really show anything.

Nah, I think it's all Erkki's fault. I think he should split the threads apart again like he found them.

Shh, I'm trying to make him feel better. :(

It's probably because they've shown 1 (one) whole screenshot that didn't really show anything.

There are more screenshots in the Eurogamer preview (haven't read it myself yet). You can resume now :P

IyDvT7XpaBc

The sheer amount of promise, the sheer amount of potential in this trailer has my hopes at a high they haven't been for a video game in nigh-on half a decade. Oh please let this be half as good.

I'd settle for a third as good with actually decent melee combat.

Also apparently somehow not posted here.

Zze1wpwVl7c

That developer interview is very interesting. They're promising an awful lot, I hope they deliver. There are some seemingly in game graphics there and it looks pretty good. Psyched!

What am I missing? Isn't this a pretty standard game trailer, promising a novel setting in which you're a dude who kills people? I'm not against that, by any means (I've had fun killing people in settings) but why are you so SUPER GODDAMN excited about this?

- First-person Assassin's Creed style running.

- Decently "chunky" first-person melee combat (rarely done right, Zeno Clash is a good example of it being done right)

- More Deus Ex style stuff

- Great art style

- Interesting potential enemies. (Stilters)

- The story about the guy completely breaking their game in a playtest session gives me a lot of hope for mission completion freedom.

Sounds good and I'm always interesting in assassination stuff - especially if the whole thing would be much more strategically worked out than AC's thusfar woeful attempts. Having said that, the CGI trailer above I thought was pretty run-of-the-mill, IGN catchphrases and all.

Cg Trailers shouldn't exist for a debut in my opinion.

They are showing very little of the game which makes me skeptical. Looks more interesting than the screenshots they showed a while ago at least.

Sounds good and I'm always interesting in assassination stuff - especially if the whole thing would be much more strategically worked out than AC's thusfar woeful attempts. Having said that, the CGI trailer above I thought was pretty run-of-the-mill, IGN catchphrases and all.

If AC was nothing but those tower capture side quests from brotherhood, it would be so much better.

If AC was nothing but those tower capture side quests from brotherhood, it would be so much better.

That is true.

I just hope this isn't as broken as Arkane's previous games, which were both games i really loved, but were also undeniably fuuuucked.

but were also undeniably fuuuucked.

even Arx Fatalis? What was so fuucked about that?

It's just a buggy game. Progress stopping bugs, nasty crash bugs, etc, etc.

There was a gold version or something, wasn't there? I don't know if that addressed anything, but the original release was a mess.

I remember finding like three fairly obvious ways to break the main quest by sequence breaking. (There's also a few places where visiting them too early will just have all the inhabitants attack you, also effectively ending your game.)

It's not a game that can cope with completists trying to do things out of order.

I at least finished that game though, Dark messiah just straight up locks up hard on certain level loads. I have never seen the end of it.

All that said, i'm still willing to say that i like those games, especially Arx, i love Arx. I just hope that studio can get their shit together on the QA stuff.

Edited by Sno

Cg Trailers shouldn't exist for a debut in my opinion.

I couldn't agree more. I understand that this stuff has to be done for marketing purposes, and it's in no way a bad trailer, but it's disappointing to get this instead of gameplay.

But hey, Bioshock did it too. It's probably a necessity for a "AAA" title these days (whatever that means).

I like the setting and overall art direction but I'm on the fence about the very-violent aspect ...that being said, the list of people involved in this game is pretty high-profile : the Arx Fatalis guys, Harvey Smith and the art director of City 17. That really intrigues.