Raff

Dishonored - or - GIFs By Breckon

It looks like this is the immersive sim (Deus Ex/System shock) thing Arcane has been working on, looking for a publisher for, not talking about and recruiting big names for, for years. There's very little info since it'll be in some magazine or whatever, but it's an exciting prospect that another of these things, if it's what I think it is, is getting made.

dishonored-cover610.jpg

This image contains things that I like.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2011/07/07/august-cover-revealed-dishonored.aspx

I've been curious to know what they were working on, really vauge concept art, but a bit of a description and the thought that it could be using IDTech 5 is pretty exciting.

yay new ip.

I don't know if you heard about it from Chris' tweet too, but I didn't know anything about it before, and now I can't wait.

The studio that made Arx Fatalis + Harvey Smith + the Half-Life 2 art guy? I'm sold!

I'm not sure about that promo art, though. I don't think that goofy mask will be as iconic as the designers think it will be.

Oh man, i loved Arx Fatalis so much*, it was such a great tribute to Ultima Underworld.

So you're telling me those guys are now going to do a System Shock/Deus Ex-inspired game, i will say i am incredibly on board.

* - I wish i could say the same about Dark Messiah, but i could never get the damn thing to play without crashing a couple levels in. Those guys need to work on their QA. As much as i loved Arx, it was also a total mess.

I'm not sure about that promo art, though. I don't think that goofy mask will be as iconic as the designers think it will be.

I am really bored of the Superhero Comic Book Mannerism style of "serious" video game art direction. It is time we bauhaus that shit down to its most basic elements. Mirror's Edge was really impressive in this regard. And whatever Valve delivers generally doesn't disappoint. Maybe the mask on its own is goofy, as you say.

Oh man, i loved Arx Fatalis so much [...] I wish i could say the same about Dark Messiah...

Dark Messiah unfortunately cannot even*be compared to Arx Fatalis. The latter was a beautiful coherent whole and it owned, the former was a proof-of-concept brawler that someone shoehorned into contrived levels so as to be able to release as a game.

Arx Fatalis came out around the same time as Morrowind and has aged a lot more gracefully.

I feel like I say this every time I get a chance to mention Arx Fatalis and/or Morrowind.

Arx Fatalis came out around the same time as Morrowind and has aged a lot more gracefully.

I feel like I say this every time I get a chance to mention Arx Fatalis and/or Morrowind.

I feel like you're wrong.

I also say that because I haven't been able to replay Arx since I developed my serious hyper-phobia of spiders. So I could be wrong!

Still, this sounds awesome.

that goofy mask

What! Now that you say it's a mask I see it too, but before I was convinced it was some sort of cybergun. This makes it even more interesting.

So Dishonored is the game Arkane Studios is working on, and presumably the reason Bethesda acquired them (right?).

It was revealed here, where we see a cyber future environment, with Harvey Smith (from Deus Ex) and the concept artist behind City 17 working on it.

Now there's a steampunk screenshot, and they're saying it's an assassin game with Bioshock-y powers, with open environments like Deus Ex, where how much chaos you cause effects the world.

So it's a cyberpunk/steampunk Deus Ex/Thief/Hitman hybrid with Bioshock/Skyrim-like powers. Somewhere, Steve Gaynor's mind is on fire right now.

Can this live up to the hype GameInformer is building?

*Cough*

Looks good though, i was a big fan of Arx Fatalis, so Arkane is pretty cool in my books.

The name of the other thread should totally be changed, though.

The two threads should be merged, with this one's title coming up on top.

Disagree, I think it was appropriate to link Remo with infinite because he's working directly for the developer, but to link Nick to any Bethesda product seems strange(unless he moved to Lyon and I'm oblivious of that).

Granted he probably handles a lot of different titles, but that seems too complex of a system for thread names... not to get all serious about this, hehehe.

Also all* threads about Telltale Games since Bone should be renamed too Video Games' <FUNNY ABUSE OF ACTUAL TITLE>...

* except the zombie one and the poker one, because those are actually "his"

Game Informer is teasing all of us with information that won't necessarily get us to buy their magazine:

The trick is that a single power doesn’t just do damage or heal you. You can combine them organically to create interesting effects. Stop time and knock a bunch of stuff off a table in one direction then book it in another, so the guards search for you in the wrong place. Summon a swarm of rats to attack one guard, but possess one of the rats and escape in the chaos. Every problem has as many solutions as you want it to.

Um, that's quite a grab bag of stuff. Optimistically, this could turn out like a Deus Ex, where going crazy with the game mechanics is the whole point.

It could also end up like that game I hate where the powers have no place in the game world, no matter how poorly they are written into it.

Alas, it seems like there will be no place for

of Arx Fatalis.

Does that include Bone? Because I've come up with a really funny abuse of that title.

Well, he joined Telltale between the first Bone and the first season of S&M, no? So this shouldn't apply retroactively past that point, because the rules of logic are very strict on this issue.

Who's a moderator around here? I'm now deeply ashamed of my boring thread title.

HEY DOUG, MAKE ME AN ADMIN.

Down with the dictatorship!

kind of bland compared to the description and concept art...

It looks like we should be prepared for some weak swordfighting. Oh well.

Someone was complaining about this in the Skyrim thread, too. Melee combat is really stale. Sharp and blunt objects should feel dangerous! But I guess we haven't seen many melee innovations since