Kolzig

Google Plus aka Emerald Sea

I'm in and I've taken it upon myself to make an Idle Thumbs circle add me and I'll put you in it.

EDIT: it doesn't seem you can make public circles, bah. I can do a google docs thing or something.

... somehow this looks like a enormous online circle jerk

:getmecoat

yeah... I'm not on it

enormous online circle jerk

You say that like it's a bad thing.

I'm always in for a Brodeo! 97.5!

You could also just add your nickname here in the "Other name" field, and put an (Idle Thumbs) next to it, so if someone searches for Idle Thumbs they'd find you. That's how I saw that being done on GWJ and it works pretty well

Whee! It's time for another edition of "would it be creepy if I added Chris and Jake and Sean to this social networking thing?" wibbles!

Edited by subbes

Whee! It's time for another edition of "would it be creepy if I added Chris and Jake and Sean to this social networking thing?" wibbles!

Eh, it's asynchronous like Twitter, so you can follow someone without them following you back.

Eh, it's asynchronous like Twitter, so you can follow someone without them following you back.

Yeah, that's not so cool. I don't want a Facebook that's more open... Weird decision from Google.

Yeah, that's not so cool. I don't want a Facebook that's more open... Weird decision from Google.

Eh, no, this is fine. I don't have to follow people who post retarded things just because I know them... :blink::erm:

Eh, no, this is fine. I don't have to follow people who post retarded things just because I know them... :blink::erm:

You can block people from your feed in Facebook. I'd take that over making everything I write to my friends visible to everyone on the internet.

You can block people from your feed in Facebook. I'd take that over making everything I write to my friends visible to everyone on the internet.

You can make posts only viewable by certain circles, and people can be part of more than one circle.

Edit: it also doesn't email people about the facebook lists (circles) you put them in.

You can make posts only viewable by certain circles, and people can be part of more than one circle.

Edit: it also doesn't email people about the facebook lists (circles) you put them in.

I guess right now this is weird because we're doing it under our real names, but this is how Twitter functions and people are not too bothered by Twitter. It would be more icky if the thing told you what circle(s) you were put in. I don't want people to know I put them in the "Kinda meh acquaintances" circle. But the fact that I placed them in a circle doesn't mean anything other than I MAY KNOW THIS PERSON.

You may be there under your real names, but I remain a Spookbungle.

(LOOKS AT PASSPORT.)

Balls.

Yeah, what Patters and Kingz (OR SHOULD I SAY PATRICK AND STEVAN PERHAPS) said. The whole thing is very much designed towards the circles concept, so every time you share something, it very explicitly asks "who do you want to share this with?", and you pick circles or even individuals. Or if it's just a flash video of a feline, you can go ahead and set it to public/my extended circles/my circles.

I enjoy this concept, because now I plan things with my friends without everyone know what I'm up to, or I can write things in Norwegian without worrying about cluttering up the feeds of English speakers with gibberi.

I guess right now this is weird because we're doing it under our real names, but this is how Twitter functions and people are not too bothered by Twitter. It would be more icky if the thing told you what circle(s) you were put in. I don't want people to know I put them in the "Kinda meh acquaintances" circle. But the fact that I placed them in a circle doesn't mean anything other than I MAY KNOW THIS PERSON.

Yeah, I like the idea of both public and private lists of people as long as YOU (the user) can decide which lists are either. So on Facebook I make a list of friends such as jugglers, gamers, etc. But as on Facebook a list, even if private to me, will get an email or notification if I add them to a list, I don't like this. Plus seems to eliminate this problem.

So I have added myself to the Google Doc, though currently I don't know how much I'll use Plus or how much information I'm willing to share on it. I don't have an issue with anyone from here adding me in any way though, for the most part the Thumbs seem like people I would not necessarily want to murder after a few wall posts.

Edit: It is completely impossible to find subbes using it, though. Google+ just seems to think I'm taking the piss when I type "subbes" into the find people box.

Haha, sorry. I didn't make myself searchable because of a creepy person I don't want to find me. Here I am.

Haha, sorry. I didn't make myself searchable because of a creepy person I don't want to find me.

Sorry, I found you.

I am also on the google doc!

Haha, sorry. I didn't make myself searchable because of a creepy person I don't want to find me. Here I am.

So you have two profiles? Is this a "feature" of Google Plus? :erm:

I hope Google rolls this out properly. I don't want a social network filled with fake handles like MySpace or Twitter, I want real names like Facebook. The reason Facebook was so refreshing after MySpace was the fact it was actually useful for keeping in touch with real friends.

Hmm.

Invites are open right now, so you should be able to get it from people in this thread in exchange for your e-mail address.

TP: No, there's only one profile for "subbes" (I have another Google account for my "real name" work thngs, which I try to keep walled-off from "subbes" because I've had two too many creepy stalking adventures).

I'm aware that is completely at odds with what everyone seems to like about G+, i.e. the whole "Power Word: Real Name" thing.

I'm still throwing this identity/pseudonymity thing around in my head trying to work out how or if I want to handle that.

PM me your e-mail address and I'll get you an invite if you need one.