Murdoc

Neptune's Bountiful Pride 6!

Oh my tablet is running win 7 so Neptunes Pride can run in the full Star Trek-esq glory I always imagined it to... except at a shitty frame rate.

Congrats AteBit and berniesbc, it SOUNDED like a really interesting game. Sadly many of these things end up being anticlimatic. Who was blue anyhow?

Aye, congrats guys! Very fun game.

Well if some of us are fatigued just sit a few games out and come back refreshed, let's put the call out for more players and see if we can get a few more involved.

Anyone else wanna get in on this?

I'm going to rest on my laurels for a bit (aka not push my luck). Maybe next time.

If you guys are thinking about starting up another game and are ok with someone new joining up I'd be interested. I haven't played in a long time though.

Haha, I mean your picky about alliances in what sense? I'm assuming from your last comment that you don't like them.

Weren't we talking about trying a game of diplomacy? Is that something that can be set up similarly to this? I'll investigate if anyone is interested.

I used to use dpjudge. I love that game. I think I could keep up to date on a 2 day move game.

Ill need a few more details, but this sounds like something I would be interested in.

Is this Diplomacy the board game sort of thing?

Diplomacy is a board game where the aim is to take over the map. Since there are seven starting European powers, the way you do this is through mutual cooperation and respect followed by a crippling stab to try and take all power. There is no random chance involved in the combat, so situations can only be resolved by clever manoeuvring and the application of ones diplomatic prowess to ensure support is given where needed. Will England play ball with Russia and stop short at Norway, or will they convoy their army into scandaniva signalling a direct attack? Will Austria and Italy respect their mutual border and head elsewhere, or will there be a double cross and an early exit for one of them? Will turkey vow to head into the med and leave the black sea empty? Probably none of the above, because thy are all liars, but history is written by th victors and recorded in a PDF.

It's really great.

You need 7. It can be played with less, but it's a bit like making a jigsaw with pieces missing.

If anyone is wondering time commitments, it may take a few weeks. Turns are generally slow to allow time for the diplomacy to happen. I used to play 2 day turns, 1 day then to say where to send a routed army. You can turn off weekend etc too. If you can't reach the website after the start, the game can be played via email.

Sort of...ish. Not really.

its simultanious turn based for one. For another, there is a huge emphasis on actual inter-power diplomacy to get things done. Its simply not possible at the start of the game to get anywhere playing solo. There is no random chance to decide your fate.

Aye, I was mostly meaning the world map/armies/territories sort of stuff.

And then the rest of its got a bit of a Poker/Black Jack thing going.

How would it work? Logistically?

Ah, well yes from that perspective. There is a website i used to play on. its free so we can just sign up and make a private game. the web interface is handy for sending press and putting in the orders and it emails you a nifty map with updates after each turn.

So I tried a game of diplomacy and it was one of the more confusing game experiences I've had in recent years.

I think I figured out why and wish to describe it, I also know this could be 100% wrong because I, in fact, don't understand what was going on;

We spoke about the mechanics of Neptunes Pride before and how once a player understand them there is very little involved to master it, leaving much of the game to be desired. The fun most of us had, was in fact, a creation of our own doing, the diplomacy and role-playing aspect of it, the feuding and such. Diplomacy is a game that is pretty much that, but with even less of a foundation on game mechanics, the "game" part is extremely simplified even compared to NP and the rest is in the hands of the player to create an experience.

So, I think, with that in mind, I'm out for Diplomacy, it's much like NP in the fact that I'd like the game to be a little more complex and support the actual diplomacy rather then having to force it(screwing someone over or trusting them) through an e-mail.