Kolzig

Project Zomboid

How come we didn't yet have a thread about this game?

http://projectzomboid.com/blog/

Looks really awesome from Indie developers The Indie Stone.

Here's a 15 minute gameplay vid.

http://www.gamestar.de/index.cfm?pid=1589&pk=18681

They've taken the idea from Minecraft etc that you can pre-order the game now for £5 (about $8/6€). This gets you access to a playable alpha version which will be updated as development progresses just like Thumbs favourite Minecraft!

Also the pre-alpha demo is now available officially for download as some jackasses put the game's test version to pirate websites so they released now officially a pre-alpha tech demo version.

How the hell do I pay for it? God I feel stupid looking for a link...

You buy one of their other games, which grants you full and immediate access to Project Zomboid, forever.

I've played through the demo (pre-being taken down due to piracy) and really enjoyed the concepts on display. Hopefully it lives up to that potential.

I liked the demo a lot, although it flashed a warning light, because the thing that struck me as most affecting - the byplay between the main character and his wife - was the part that was least sustainable - at some point, possibly the end of the tutorial, the wife would have to be killed, or she'd have to have a lot of dialogue written for her, which feels like it would be a distraction from the open-world gameplay.

Moment of unintentional hilarity during the demo when I dutifully went to the wardrobe, found the sheet, tore it up to bandage her wound, got painkillers from the bathroom to give to her, and then picked up a pillow and used it on her, assuming the system would put it under her head to help her sleep. Instead, I watched with horror as my character smothered his wife to death. I mean, thanks for the option, guys, but a little warning next time?

Moment of unintentional hilarity during the demo when I dutifully went to the wardrobe, found the sheet, tore it up to bandage her wound, got painkillers from the bathroom to give to her, and then picked up a pillow and used it on her, assuming the system would put it under her head to help her sleep. Instead, I watched with horror as my character smothered his wife to death. I mean, thanks for the option, guys, but a little warning next time?

I had a similar problem when I tried to put out my flaming wife with a pillow. Luckily I burned to death soon after so I didn't have to live with the guilt.

I was just remembered this game existed when I saw it listed on "savy gamer", but... the price seems to be the same?:erm:

Either way, since they claim the price will rise once it's out of beta, I "beta" get it now! :hah:

Yeah, about that...

cZvzv.png

I remember following the RPS coverage that I thought the guy was a little whiny. The very last place you wanna go all emo on is the internet.

Holy fuck that's terrible for them. I don't know if this is one of the most cursed game development projects out there, but it's certainly the most public I've seen. I feel for these guys.

Well, I bought a copy, but I only played a little. I think I screwed up my first game very quickly since I used ALL the wood I had to barricade the house, and the next day the game tells me to fight a zombie, but I don't have a weapon... I suppose the wooden planks would do?

But I could tell it was being tutorially since the zombie didn't want to attack for some reason.

I hope you don't get sleep and hungry that quickly in the full game, it's could be a nightmare if you had to sleep and eat that often!

Oh man...

This project has really had a rocky life. I hope the developers don't give up as this project has a lot of potential to be great...

As much time as coding something again takes, having done it once it shouldn't be difficult. The difficult bit is usually figuring it out the first time.

Quitting would be a very bad move for all indie projects that get funds through crowdsourcing.

Bought this after trying the demo and played a little. So in the tutorial this guy with a shotgun comes and starts shooting (ok, he talks a bit first). How's that supposed to be handled? I thought it was because I removed a barricade, then when I played again, barricaded everything (or so I thought) and he still appeared. Third time I made sure I really barricaded everything, including the downstair bathroom, and now he appeared outside and started yelling through the window (I thiink). But when I went out he was gone.

Anyway, the interface is a bit shit, and the game suffers from Garbage Collection pauses so the code seems a bit shoddy too (I've never seen a GC pause in Minecraft, although it's also resource hungry and in Java). Also saw lots of NullPointerExceptions in the console window the game stupidly opens in the background.

Looks promising, though.

Why not?

The JVM is a proper and rather stable and performant environment to develop for. It's runs on a shit load of systems (although J2ME is a P.O.S.). Java is an "ok" language, but you can use a lot of other languages with the same target (i.e. JVM): JPython, JRuby, Scala, Groovy, etc.

Java is used a lot in business systems.

Ah ok, I haven't had too many run ins with it, but I figured it was just out of date since most of the time it always screws up on my system or I get an annoying pop to update the thing at the worst possible times.

I just figured in 2012 there would be newer and better out there, so was just wondering.

Oh no, a java argument thread. I'm staying out because I like Java but I don't think I'll be able to get anyone to change their minds on it.

Anyway, I agree that the interface is shit but I bought the game a while ago because I think it has a lot of potential and I can't think of any zombies games that actually feel like a zombie movie.

Bought this after trying the demo and played a little. So in the tutorial this guy with a shotgun comes and starts shooting (ok, he talks a bit first). How's that supposed to be handled? I thought it was because I removed a barricade, then when I played again, barricaded everything (or so I thought) and he still appeared. Third time I made sure I really barricaded everything, including the downstair bathroom, and now he appeared outside and started yelling through the window (I thiink). But when I went out he was gone.

Anyway, the interface is a bit shit, and the game suffers from Garbage Collection pauses so the code seems a bit shoddy too (I've never seen a GC pause in Minecraft, although it's also resource hungry and in Java). Also saw lots of NullPointerExceptions in the console window the game stupidly opens in the background.

Looks promising, though.

The raider guy has to either be ambushed (hide in the bathroom/whatever) or you can just not do the tutorial. You're meant to die at the end of it anyway.