Sign in to follow this  
Moosferatu

Outlaws

I just downloaded the demo for Outlaws, and I thought it was pretty fun. The best part was that it ran really smoothly on my computer, which is great considering what I've got to work with. Is it worth buying? Is it even still around in stores?

I've haven't seen a copy of Outlaws in stores any time recently, but there's always the overpriced LucasArts company store version. :grin:

I did, however, once see it in the budget rack at Best Buy (which I don't think they have in Hungary) for $9.99.

As for whether it is worth buying: I too can say that I enjoyed the demo very much. It's a really fun shooter. I love expecially how graphically cool the loading and firing of the revolver is. ;)

outlaws_screen002.jpg

That said, even if I saw it on for $10 or less, I mightn't buy it just because there's so much other junk I have to play that is higher up on my to-play list. :hmph:

But if you're feeling bored and aren't looking forward to any game within in the next few weeks and really feel like playing this game (which I hear has a wonderful story) then I'd fully recommend it. Frankly, if I didn't have Halo and Freedom Fighters to play before Knights of the Old Republic 2 came out, I'd get it. And that last line sounded nerdy. :yep:

There it is... don't know why its priced at $22 when games like Monkey Island 3 and Grim Fandango go for $10, but yeah.

If you can stomach vintage FPS gameplay and graphics you'll probably like outlaws. It has an enjoyable story, hand animated cutscenes, and probably Clint Bajakian's best musical score. Just be sure to turn mouselook on before you play.

I did, however, once see it in the budget rack at Best Buy (which I don't think they have in Hungary) for $9.99.

Yeah, no Best Buy here, but there are a ton more budget games in Europe than in the US. It's usually pretty easy to get an older game for cheap, but for some reason I haven't seen a LucasArts title for less than 4,000 HUF (about $20) here no matter how old it is.

And if you do buy Outlaws, remember that there is a Direct3D patch also available for the game, it will look quite sweet after that.

I only bought Outlaws for it's excellent music, because the game itself gave me motion sickness. For some strange reason I only get motion sick when playing old 3D games, such as Doom and Quake.

Heh.

--Erwin

I really dig the soundtrack, but I've only ever played the demo. Man, I've always wanted to check the rest out, but never had the time. Someday soon, I will. Cowboys rock. Western is such an under-used gaming genre when you compare it to sci-fi or fantasy, it has just as much awesome stuff going on.

I think Outlaws might be a little unrecognized in gaming history. It was one of the few pre-Half-Life-OMG-We-Can-Tell-Stories-With-This-Genre story-based FPSes. I'm still sad that LucasArts didn't expand upon Dark Forces and Outlaws and sort of made it its second genre of expertise. If they'd stuck to story FPS games and adventures (oh and flight combat through Totally Games), they might have done a lot better. I'm sure some of the adventure designers wouldn't have minded working on a story FPS, and vice versa. It would have been good.

Marek : "It was one of the few pre-Half-Life-OMG-We-Can-Tell-Stories-With-This-Genre story-based FPSes"

I think you're quite wrong because the tale of Outlaws is rarely told IN game sequences. The story is good but it's told in a very common way that is, during the cutscenes

To me Outlaws = gorgeous cutscene + wonderful musics BUT it is a shitty game in a lot of aspect.

First, the ingame graphics are, erm, poor ? And this was the case even when the game was first released. Then, the game design sucks : every town look the same, the saloons are non-lively... its really a pity compared to what is described in the cutscenes.

I'm not fond of remake or sequels but with nowadays technology and gameplay knowledge, a new Outlaws would definitely be worth it

I haven't played the game since 1997, so maybe my memories got a little rose-tinted. I thought the story was reasonably well integrated, but memory can play cruel tricks on us all.

"a new Outlaws" = Red Dead Revolver?

Awesome game, decent story, good action. The best Western-themed agme I'VE ever played, a game from before LEC became a heartless profit-obsessed corporation.

Ah, Outlaws...well worth getting, and, as people here have said, it has lovely music. I got my copy for 99p second hand, and that was a complete bargain. And, as the music is CD audio, you can listen to it anywhere!

Outlaws is the only shoot-em-up I own. I feel justified in shootin'-em-up because they are varmints and are asking for it. The only draw back is that the game uses the same engine as dark forces - which looks great for interiors but not for terrain.

On the plus side though, it means my computer can run it.