Lu 

EA™ and DICE™ present™ Battlefield™ 3

I don't get it.

Also, at least Alice is back on Steam.

Sooooooooooo... What do you guys think about that Battlefield 3?

I think it looks pretty sweet. Also, it's got some brown and bloom but that's fine... I guess.

Is it more brown and bloomy then Battlefield 2? That was brown and bloomy.

I also liked the birds that flew away when I was running, hope theres more of those.

To me, Battlefield 3 looks more promising than the other modern war games but I'm still not sure if I'm going to buy it. For some reason I'm not that keen on shooting terrorists or whatever anymore. Maybe I'll still buy it when it's cheap, if only for the graphics.

Sorry to take it back to Origin, but this seems to be where it's getting discussed as well. Just wanted to point out to people that some EA games can be unlocked with the CD key you got when you bought it on Steam. For me, this meant that Red Alert 3, Hot Pursuit, and Mass Effect 2 were unlocked with the codes that I had, but things like Crysis, Mass Effect 1, and Dead Space could not be. It's a weird thing, but if you want to unlock your games on the EA store, some may work.

For the first time in years I pre-ordered my copy of Battlefield 3 from.... EB GAMES.

SEE WHAT YOU'VE MADE ME DO EA?!!! You bastards.

Anyway, the game looks incredible. I hope it's the next Crysis technologically, and I hope to god it makes Call of Duty either die or think very hard about itself. CoD has gone so far off the rails, it's just sad.

Hmm.

We'll probably never know the full truth behind it, but i'd like to know what the policies really are, and why EA is apparently the only company flipping out over them.

Hmm.

We'll probably never know the full truth behind it, but i'd like to know what the policies really are, and why EA is apparently the only company flipping out over them.

The rumors i've been seeing are that EA plans to have the Origin store built into their games as a mechanism to sell DLC, bypassing Steam on Steam, while Valve wants EA to sell their DLC through the existing tools Steam already has for DLC.

This reminds me of that whole X-box Live/EA thing, really. EA trying to bully a platform holder into allowing special exemptions for EA games.

In this case, i suspect it'll all depend on how successful Origin is, will Origin make up for the sales lost by not being on Steam? EA might budge before Valve does.

Origin wouldn't bother me if it actually had an option to not start when you boot up your PC. Had to use it for the BF3 alpha, and that part's really the only thing that bugged me as far as usability goes. So far I've not bothered uninstalling it just because I know I'll have to have it eventually. Of course I'd prefer a steam copy, since I run everything through steam and use it for social things.

Origin wouldn't bother me if it actually had an option to not start when you boot up your PC.

It has. :fart:

As good as BF3 looks, lack of distribution through Steam is a dealbreaker for me. I know that sounds stupid or petty and I've argued fairly regularly with people on the topic, but I just don't like being inconvenienced when trying to play games. Any barrier to entry is honestly enough to keep me from a game that even looks as good as this, especially around holiday season where there are about 100 other equally worthy titles that are vying for my attention.

EA is deliberately making it harder for me to buy their product, so... I just won't. Instead, I just placed a preorder on Skyrim and will likely put another one on Rage. Easy enough.

Where is this mythical option? First thing I did was look for it :P

Settings > General > (Scroll Down) > Launch Origin automatically...

I'm sure it was done by the same person who did the battelog site. Hope they still plan on making that thing optional. Joining servers was a pain in the butt, though that was partially because there was 5 US servers and 500 UK ones.

As good as BF3 looks, lack of distribution through Steam is a dealbreaker for me. I know that sounds stupid or petty and I've argued fairly regularly with people on the topic, but I just don't like being inconvenienced when trying to play games. Any barrier to entry is honestly enough to keep me from a game that even looks as good as this, especially around holiday season where there are about 100 other equally worthy titles that are vying for my attention.

Totally with you. Unless it's something really indie that hasn't found a way to get on there (and even then, there are a tonne of super indie games on Steam), I don't really think there's an excuse for not being on Steam unless you're Blizzard. In their case, Battle.net has been around for much longer and even though I'd still prefer Starcraft 2 and Diablo 3 to be on Steam, I won't hold it against them (much). I honestly don't even care if it would run Origin after booting from Steam, as I've put up with that from GFWL for long enough now anyway. What I don't get is how Dragon Age 1 and Mass Effect 1 and 2 are fine, as you can't buy their DLC from Steam but must go to that weird Bioware store. If the bit in their policy allows for browser-bought DLC (or DLC bought through GFWL, as I've also done in the past), then EA's position seems kind of weak. From the outside, it seems like Valve is fine with people buying their DLC outside Steam and that there's something extra EA wants to slip in under the radar here.

Whatever. With the information black hole going on on both sides, it's really useless to guess. What it boils down to for me though is basically no Steam, no sale. If EA wants to peddle Origin that bad, I'll wait for them to come to their senses. That, or Mass Effect 3 will make me cave, but just for the one game (I swear!).

Not being on Steam isn't a deal breaker, but it hurts.

What is a deal breaker was Bad Company 2 on steam burning me. My thoughts of the game aside, it's that it used EA server b.s for everything else. Trying to get into a game with my friends from steam and connect to things was just a massive head ache. The whole thing was a PoS and voice chat was completely broken.

I buy a lot from Steam, but not Exclusively, both D2D and EA are options I use, as well as Physical copies. I will likely buy BF3 on a disc as I did with BFBC2.

In which they will force you to sign up with Origin to install? I forsee this as being the way they are going to handle this. Can anybody confirm?

Not being on Steam isn't a deal breaker, but it hurts.

What is a deal breaker was Bad Company 2 on steam burning me. My thoughts of the game aside, it's that it used EA server b.s for everything else. Trying to get into a game with my friends from steam and connect to things was just a massive head ache. The whole thing was a PoS and voice chat was completely broken.

A lot of things about Bad Company 2 were broken from day one, and never got fixed. The launch of that game was laughably, spectacularly atrocious, and they only ever did enough to make the game barely playable, if you fought it enough. Random CTD's, an awful server browser and terrible UI hurt that game enough that by the time you actually got to play it you didn't want to be playing it anymore.

Fingers crossed that Battlefield 3 is a big enough property for EA that DICE will be forced to put a lot more shine on it before they puke it onto Origin.

I'm probably going to stick with Red Orchestra 2 for my next few years of FPS fare, it looks like. While I have really enjoyed Battlefield in the past (primarily 1942 and 2142, the others have never 'grabbed me') I'm not sure I really want to go back to the land of the prone flowchart.

What do I mean by that?

(Hell, I dislike it so much I went to the trouble of making a terrible MSPaint flowchart.)

Flowchart.jpg

What do you do once you reach the "no!"? Also, I didn't think I was going to buy another world war 2 shooter, but Red Orchestra 2 looks pretty fantastic.

What do you do once you reach the "no!"? Also, I didn't think I was going to buy another world war 2 shooter, but Red Orchestra 2 looks pretty fantastic.

I didn't bother to make arrows for it, so it's supposed to be that both "No!" and "Yes I'm prone" lead to "Blindly throw grenades"

*Shrug* I figured it got the point across.

And yeah, the only reason I haven't put more time into RO1 is the terrible learning curve of doom. And since I enjoy realism, WW2 shooters and a lot of the ideas they're implementing. . . It'll probably be one of my staple games, and my go-to shooter for a few years to come. I'm certainly done with the Call of Duty series, and BF3 is shiny but. . .I'm not sure if it's anything more than that.