Lu 

EA™ and DICE™ present™ Battlefield™ 3

Don't think there was a thread for this yet. So yes, this manshoot looks pretty good. Might be a good thumbs multiplayer game.

Oh and EA is pulling their recent titles offa steam and can now only be gotten on their own digital download network Origin. Great. I guess that was kind of inevitable.

From my experience with EA's online stuff (trying to let my Sister play her copy of Spore), EA and their Origin service can take their entire amateur operation and twist it right up their huge corporate asshole.

That said, BF3 looks like it could be fun. If they decide to put it on Steam I'll probably get it.

Bad Company 2 was already the best multiplayer shooter on the market in my opinion(Team Fortress 2 is great as well don't kill me) so I'm really excited for Battlefield 3, even if my PC will only be able to run it on a lower setting.

I was never a bad company fan, the blowing apart buildings thing was neat, but everything else about it felt off compared to 1942/battlefield 2.

This sort of looks like Bad Company 3 to me rather then Battlefield 3... so waiting very cautiously.

For me bad company was just an evolution of the older battefield games. The destructibility of the environments actually adds a lot more to the combat then you would think at first glance. Vehicle usage becomes more important, squad communications become more important, it all adds up to a really great shooter experience for me

They should've called it 3attlefield.

I'm making strangling motions at my monitor, 'blix. :violin:

I'm afraid I'm not going to be able to run this, and that saddens me greatly. We'll see how it goes.

Oh and EA is pulling their recent titles offa steam and can now only be gotten on their own digital download network Origin. Great. I guess that was kind of inevitable.

Wait, what? Really? What the fuck, EA? I can sort of understand only releasing your new things on your own thing (though that is also monumentally stupid) but pulling your older titles off of other services as well? Fuck you entirely. I buy my PC games on Steam, both for convenience sake and because their service has proved itself to me enough times over the years. I bought one thing from EA's store, Spore back when it first came out, and it asked me to ensure my fucking copy just like EB would. Why the hell would I ever go back to their bullshit?

Informations.

Steam has imposed a set of business terms for developers hoping to sell content on that service – many of which are not imposed by other online game services. Unfortunately, Crytek has an agreement with another download service which violates the new rules from Steam and resulted in its expulsion of Crysis 2 from Steam.

I guarantee that other download service is EA's Origin, in a deal they deliberately set up to conflict with Steam so that they could pull their games and make it look like Valve are the bad guys. It would surprise me none.

Looks like my EA game buying will take a steep decline, I would never have bought Mass Effect if it weren't on Steam, and i'll never impulse buy any other EA game unless it's on Steam because Steam is my impulse buying hub. I'll buy a physical copy of Battlefield 3 before i'll buy it on Origin. Fuck EA's corporate bullshit, I hope this backfires horribly on them. :getmecoat

Yeah, I'm far more likely to buy ME3 in a box and then just add it to my Steam list, but then I'd be worried that it would come out on Steam later and I'd end up paying yet more money for the convenience of having it ACTUALLY be on my Steam list (see also: Spore). I don't care if EA wants to have their own store through which they sell their stuff, that's fine. What sucks is that they're removing their stuff from other services. It's fine if you don't want to give me a copy of the original Alice with Madness Returns unless I buy it from Origin (which is what they have up as of this post), but at least allow me to buy the vanilla game from other sources.

Well, that's what I thought too, but Valve does the exact same thing with their own games. Are their games on any other digital download service besides their own?

All in all I don't want to have ANOTHER Steam-like program clogging up my computer. At least Valve gives you information as to what Steam is. I have no idea what Origin does unless I download it and I'm not gonna download it.

I bought Crysis 2 and Hot Pursuit on EA Store some time ago and was actually very surprised by how lightweight easy to use EA Download Manager Origin was. I guess I'd still prefer my games to be in one place, though. Unfortunately, that's not the case even now, as Steam is often quite expensive compared to other stores or services.

Looking at the origin.com website, it seems to me that either EA is clueless when it comes to digital distribution and the web in general (which I think is very likely) or they've rushed out a beta version to leverage consumer awareness of their Battlefield™ franchise to strengthen their quarterly sales projections or some shit. Currently it looks like a marketing guy wrote the contents, a programmer did the art and a lawyer went through everything and inserted ™ symbols.

Well, I looked at Origin, and apparently it still has my copy of Spore registered, so I'll give them that. I bought that back the month the game launched, and EA still says I own it. Credit where it's due, I guess. Still, don't know that I want to buy anything new from them, and likely I won't. Waiting for things to come out on Steam, if they ever do, unless ME3 proves too tempting for me.

For me bad company was just an evolution of the older battefield games. The destructibility of the environments actually adds a lot more to the combat then you would think at first glance. Vehicle usage becomes more important, squad communications become more important, it all adds up to a really great shooter experience for me

Don't get me wrong destructibility was cool, but it just felt like a smaller game and very claustrophobic for some reason. I never got the same sense I did in other battlefields with a commander issue orders across a ton of squads and feeling like a small part of a larger whole. It felt more like a few crews running around playing solider. Battlefield 2 felt like a well(or poorly) orchestrated war, bad company felt like a war game.

Also, the movement and shooting felt kind of weird, I want to call it consoley? It's the same feeling I get with L4d2 and Portal 2 vs the originals.

Origin existing as a competitor to steam is not a bad thing people. Having more outlets fighting for our dollars is only a good thing for the end consumer. Steam wasn't all sunshine and lollipops when it first launched either, and if EA wants to draw people away from it, they will have to up their game with more features or better prices.

Or make it so their service is the only way to get their games, which is their current tactic.

Or make it so their service is the only way to get their games, which is their current tactic.

So you better apply the same standard to Valve for not selling L4D2 on Direct 2 Drive or Origin.

Valve did that with Steam, the problem is that they are not offering their products on a proven service, which many PC gamers are fully subscribed to.

Valve did that with Steam, the problem is that they are not offering their products on a proven service, which many PC gamers are fully subscribed to.

But that's exactly what Valve did with HL2. And Steam sucked back then.

But that's exactly what Valve did with HL2. And Steam sucked back then.

Yes, but the difference with Steam was that there was not a similar service when Steam was released, let alone one which has such an incredibly high user count. Which is what I said in more words. Valve however introduced a new type of service, which people are very invested in, many people have north of 100 Steam games, and people don't want to go somewhere else to get their games.

Some of the arguments just seem like other companies now are morally obliged to hand over the keys of the PC game industry to Valve because they were the first to have a succesful platform like this.

Some of the arguments just seem like other companies now are morally obliged to hand over the keys of the PC game industry to Valve because they were the first to have a succesful platform like this.

EA are totally in their rights to do this, however the people are completely allowed to be angry at EA for this. It's like iTunes exclusive EPs, Store exclusive products (I cannot get a PC copy of Spider-Man Shattered Dimensions). I buy a lot from Steam, but not Exclusively, both D2D and EA are options I use, as well as Physical copies. I will likely buy BF3 on a disc as I did with BFBC2.

Also don't forget that EA have published physical Valve Games for a long time now.

that reminds me of a joke

What's the difference between the game Battlefield and an actual battlefield?

No dice