toblix

Rocksmith

Hey all! I apologize for the pseudo-necro, but Rocksmith 2014 launched for PS4 and XONE today!

I cannot recommend this game enough, and not only is it super rad, it is now Jimi Hendrix-rad as of Dec. 16th, 2014. You might ask "Hey aprettycooldude, are you employed by Ubisoft?" and I will go "No, but you can bet that I've been dying to play a non-terrible-custom version of 'Red House' since the original RS launched."

I've been playing guitar for a year now (well it'll a year this Thursday :P!), and I still love it. I have quite a few official DLC packs, and play fairly often :). It's been a lot of work, and I'm still to shy to really play in front of anybody, but I've definitely progressed a lot (due in part to justinguitar as well as RS, which I basically treat as Rockband rather than diligently learn songs. Going back to songs I've not played in a while brings the progress crashing down since I've forgotten how to play them :P!

Having convinced myself I liked it enough, I upgraded from the bundled right guitar (boo hiss!) to a lefty cherry red 2013 Gibson Les Paul LPJ; it's now my favourite game controller :P!

10175036_10152798621874152_2674131152610

10155325_10152798621864152_7916519872370

Great news about Hendrix!

That's a very pretty guitar. I love cherry Gibsons. I have an SG in the same colour myself, along with my white Ibanez Roadstar II and olive Gretsch Electromatic. Basically, since I got a grown-up job and the income that comes with it, I've built teenage me's dream guitar rack. It is nice to have. It's interesting you find going back to old songs after a long break drops your ability to play them, actually. I've found that if I ignore a song for a long time, going back after playing everything else for so long blows my old score away because of the new things my fingers have figured out how to do.

I'm still finding myself in a weird place, guitar-wise. It's officially been about 15 years since my first lesson, but it's really only been the past two that I've taken it seriously and done any more than basic strumming. I'm finally starting to feel confident enough to play in front of others (recently, jammed a bit at a halloween party), but it's taken me SO LONG to get there. Still, it feels great. About to hit my 200th hour in Rocksmith 2014 (I'm at 199 right now...) and am always stoked for whatever news is coming down the pipe about the series. Stoked as hell for Hendrix!

You're right of course, in that if I play a couple of times, then I do much better than I ever did before. It's just that I've still not really got the music theory part down, though I am trying to remedy this, so I don't yet instinctively know which note to play, and where that is on the fretboard... It's like playing a 132 button controller (where most buttons aren't really used) :P. I know a good number of chords on the first few frets (though F and B are still major hurdles), but higher up the neck I just go by what the game tells me!

Wow, congrats on the public jam and nearly 200th hour! I've no idea how long I've played, because i got it on 360 first, and still play a lot on there, since I've not found a way to transfer DLC. I'm also really looking forward to Hendrix... apparently they are doing a bunch of 3 packs as well as a 12 pack, but I might just grab the whole lot!

Hey all! I apologize for the pseudo-necro

Never apologize, if only we could have more necros, christ. I'll never understand the hate of other forums when bumping threads where everything can go in one nice neat package.

So, which platform do you guys recommend for this? I've got the PS3, 360 and PC.

Heard that the PS3 had some stability issues

PC is fantastic. It's cheap on steam regularly, so all you have to do is find a cable for sale somewhere. Do it.

I agree that pc version is great :). Steam sales involve the games themselves, as well as DLC song packs... I've dropped quite a lot of cash on the songs, but they are well worth it!

If you're starting fresh, PC is the way to go. You'll want to start with with Rocksmith 2014 out of the gate. Rocksmith 1 is a glorified song pack at this point, and when it drops to $10 or whatever during a Steam Sale, you're basically getting a 50-something song pack for $15 (game + probably on sale export key).

Oh, dear. This was very good. Already bought a bunch of extra songs and spent far too long practicing a small 10 second chunk of a song :P

Oh, dear. This was very good. Already bought a bunch of extra songs and spent far too long practicing a small 10 second chunk of a song :P

I have been playing guitar for seven years and practicing one bridge of a song is how you get better, start slow until you are consistent then get faster and faster.

Does rocksmith teach chords?

Yes and no? It has a chord book you can reference and when a chord comes up in a song it shows your finger positioning while displaying what chord you're playing above the finger chard. It also has a few mini-games in which it fires chord names at you quickly and gradually fades in the fingering if you take too long, but all of the chords in these games are power chords.

I have been playing guitar for seven years and practicing one bridge of a song is how you get better, start slow until you are consistent then get faster and faster.

Does rocksmith teach chords?

Yeah, have been playing it on and off for quite some time too but generally I would just go find tabs at ultimateguitar.com and keep trying to play them at full speed :P

Having the riff repeater is fantastic.

My hands hurt now.

I would say if you really want to learn taking lessions is super helpful (but only if 1 on 1)

I also took three years of guitar in highschool and it was not super helpful, the only skill I really learned was being consistent which is something I could have learned on my own

Rocksmith and Rocksmith 2014 are both heavily discounted in the Steam Sale right now :): 2014 with 66% off at $20.39, original Rocksmith (good for a song pack if nothing else) 75% off at $7.49. Some song DLC is 25% off too. These deals will be gone soon, so act now if you want

Hmm, I wonder if my wife would be into it. I bought her the original one for X360, but it seems to be a lot more full featured on PC. How much does the PC cable run?

Oh, that's nice. I thought the Xbox used some sort of weird USB standard, but then I use an Xbox controller on my PC so I guess that doesn't make sense.

Hmm, I forgot this was an Ubisoft game. Does it require uPlay?

Steam version does not require the Uplay  client, although it will ask you if you want to sign into a uplay account in-game.

Not sure what effect doing it/not doing it has actually

It tracks your progress and stats, but that's about it. It used to require uPlay, but they patched that out.

Is there a way you can skip getting their cable? I know how to play guitar but I'd like to teach my roommate and thought this might be a good move, and consequently I have a way to properly record guitar.

Never apologize, if only we could have more necros, christ. I'll never understand the hate of other forums when bumping threads where everything can go in one nice neat package.

Yah seriously. How is having a dozen threads better than 1 that gets updated whenever it becomes relevant again. Does this come from a time where having a higher number of threads is a positive metric for some reason?

Mmm I hear from a not-insignificant number of people that high page counts in threads that have been around forever can be intimidating. Threads almost develop their own little sub-community, and breaking into it can be difficult. It's not so big a deal here since, though active, we're not extravagantly large in number, but on, say, GAF, I could certainly see why people would discourage necroing an ancient thread. (They also auto-lock old threads there, too, IIRC.)

Is there a way you can skip getting their cable? I know how to play guitar but I'd like to teach my roommate and thought this might be a good move, and consequently I have a way to properly record guitar.

My PC just recognizes the Rocksmith cable as another microphone input, so there may be hacks. I've heard of people mic-ing up an acousitc guitar to play and having that work REASONABLY well, but I don't know if it would be as accurate as you'd like.