Sign in to follow this  
toblix

Frozen Synapse

Let's Frozen Synapse. My friendable name is toblix. What is yours?

Orvi

FS is neat because you can challenge someone who's offline, they'll get an email about the pending turn and can complete it whenever. So go ahead and throw a game at me if you want one and I'm not around.

E: I seem to be having server issues (logging in either fails or takes a good fifteen minutes.) :(

Edited by Orvidos

PiratePoo

Attempted to add you, 'blix, but said YOU DON'T EXIST!!

Orvi and PiratePoo, accept my challenges and prepare to be blown away.

I think their server is having issues. I've added all of you, but after restarting and logging in again, all my games and friends are gone. Too bad such a fun game is having so many tech issues.

Considering concurrent player record for the beta was something like 119, it may just be the typical indie issue of "Oh, we don't have enough servers to be this popular. . ."

I think their server is having issues. I've added all of you, but after restarting and logging in again, all my games and friends are gone. Too bad such a fun game is having so many tech issues.

Yea, I just booted it up. My friends list is empty again too. I can't find your challenge, brkl! I got a mail, but I don't know how to accept.

My name on there is Cigol, surprisingly enough, and I look forward to logging back in one of these days.

I asked and it stores the friends list on each LOCAL server. So it does actually matter which "shard" you pick upon login.....................

brkl, our game is on UK2. Aaand you blew up your own dude. :grin:

That's the dumbest thing. So, we have to agree on a server, then? UK2, is it?

A mere ruse!

Actually, there's some inconsistency with the order you do things if you have your dude crouching, then have him stand and shoot and crouch again. It's a good idea to test your turn to make sure they actually do what you want them to do. Which I didn't have time for :X

Oh, I get it now. You all might've known this all along, but I just figured it out by reading the forums. Apparently the whole thing with having to select a server, and servers being isolated, games disappearing, etc. is a very recent problem, not something that's been going on for long. Hopefully they'll figure out how to do a proper multiplayer infrastructure before the game's reputation is completely ruined.

Oh, I get it now. You all might've known this all along, but I just figured it out by reading the forums. Apparently the whole thing with having to select a server, and servers being isolated, games disappearing, etc. is a very recent problem, not something that's been going on for long. Hopefully they'll figure out how to do a proper multiplayer infrastructure before the game's reputation is completely ruined.

Yup. I think they need one central server that doesn't handle the games at all, but communicates with the other servers to make everything work seamlessly. But I guess the game must be selling for these problems to exist, so I suppose that's good.

It's weird, though. This is basically play-by-email. Basically they're unable to handle the load of a tiny email server handling a couple of thousand requests. They don't have to do anything in real-time. It's just as strange in the client, too. With the amount of data you need to send and receive, you should be able to quickly switch between hundreds of various games without delay. Now it's five to ten seconds of downloading and "assimilating." Either they have extremely buggy code they threw together to be able to release, or they don't have the money to rent a decent server, or they don't know what they're doing. Or some fourth option I haven't considered.

Yeah, I don't really know what's causing such load on the servers. Probably their code is problematic but they never knew because the beta didn't have enough players. I never had any problems during the beta.

Erm, I'll get you next time, PiratePoo. I was thinking of another game before -- turns out this time the game lied to me. When I was planning my guy was supposed to move right after the explosion so he wouldn't be hurt (I delayed his actions on purpose), but he died anyway :x Not that I've been doing better after that.

Weird. I just had a guy shoot in the opposite direction I ordered him to shoot in. Also, I am a master of self-sabotage.

I hope that gets fixed real soon too... Kind of pointless if it can't play your moves correctly.

PiratePoo, do you mind if I upload that bazooka match to Youtube?

I'm T4ffer.

Still going through the single player though.

It's annoying that I get game requests during single player even as I switched my status to not wanting any games (I think).

Yeah, I think there's an offline mode somewhere that prevents that.

Is anyone else on UK1? The server thing is kind of bad - specifically, it means that FS is currently more hostile to no-barriers two-person play than Laser Squad Nemesis was. Of course, LSN got around this by _emailing your whole turn_, which was also not ideal...