Wubbles

Space Marine

It's pretty nifty. A lot of attention to detail and the combat feels really good. Very smooth. The jump pack segment was pretty badass as well.

So, yeah... I'm basically a baby, but I found myself occasionally running away from dudes to let the shield come back and then trying to get that "U" up to get all furious and recover health. I'll admit that running away didn't feel very Space Marine-y.

Yeah, the game is surprisingly unforgiving if you just wade in and start mashing X, I was expecting to be a lot more invincible due to how the marketing tone has been set. In the end I settled on a rhythm of walking backwards and firing my bolter as Orks ran towards me, then sprinting in and killing a few before dodging out and repeating, executing enemies whenever I got the chance to keep my health up.

As you say, it doesn't feel particularly Space Marine-y, but it may end up being a better play stye for that. Invincible button mashing would likely get boring pretty fast.

Actually, I did pretty well just jumping into a giant group of dudes and just hacking away. Felt pretty badass. Mind you, I got owned the first 10 times trying to figure out the controls, especially when that bigger Orc showed up. In fact, a little tutorial would've been helpful. I still don't know how to explode the mine things that come out of that mine gun.

Actually, I did pretty well just jumping into a giant group of dudes and just hacking away. Felt pretty badass. Mind you, I got owned the first 10 times trying to figure out the controls, especially when that bigger Orc showed up. In fact, a little tutorial would've been helpful. I still don't know how to explode the mine things that come out of that mine gun.

On the 360, hitting reload detonates those things.

Also, i don't really understand the fuss about the difficulty.

End every melee combo with an alt attack, grab and execute the stunned enemy, get your free health, repeat.

Not exactly Bayonetta or Ninja Gaiden.

Space Marine seemed to have a very thin veneer: after about 2-3 minutes of gameplay, it was remarkable how quick any amount of novelty in the game became routine - basic combat is repetitive, the execution animations are repetitive, the Orks' barks are repetitive, and the environments are repetitive. I hope this stuff is emblematic of only the first few levels, because this is going to be a pretty dull game if it isn't.

yeah i agree, although i love the 40k fiction the game was getting tedious by the end of demo. i think i'l just stick to dawn of war 2 :getmecoat

Space Marine seemed to have a very thin veneer: after about 2-3 minutes of gameplay, it was remarkable how quick any amount of novelty in the game became routine - basic combat is repetitive, the execution animations are repetitive, the Orks' barks are repetitive, and the environments are repetitive. I hope this stuff is emblematic of only the first few levels, because this is going to be a pretty dull game if it isn't.

Supposedly (and hopefully) this is partly to do with the demo using an older build of the game, with the voice work at least being replaced for the final game. As for the other complaints... :getmecoat

So, anyone buying? I had considered getting a pre-order in but I just moved across America. It turns out that America is very big.

I'm definitely buying it, but seeing as I've just come back from a holiday and have just paid flights for next year's holiday, I'm going to have to wait until the end of the month most likely.

I really enjoyed the demo, it pretty much gave that sense of being a totally bad ass space marine captain, just like in the table top games where the captain could just wade into a hoard of orcs and take down a good chunk of their squad before they'd start dealing out their damage :D Also I'm totally biased towards 40K stuff in general and getting the chance to play as a single marine in an action game is just freaking awesome :)

It will probably end up being a shallow action filled romp through the 40K universe, but I'll enjoy it all the same.

I really enjoyed that review. I must say, I'm very happy I discovered the Wot I Thinks a few months ago, almost always a great read.

Pretty much reiterates what I was thinking: I'll probably enjoy it, I won't be the only one, but many won't.

I am about halfway through now, great atmosphere that captures the Warhammer feel. The gameplay is repetitive and shallow.

I am not really enjoying it anymore, maybe it will get better when the Chaos guys show up?

I am about halfway through now, great atmosphere that captures the Warhammer feel. The gameplay is repetitive and shallow.

I am not really enjoying it anymore, maybe it will get better when the Chaos guys show up?

It gets much harder with them, but you pretty much do the same things except you sometimes dive for cover because ouchies.

Oh shit, well, fuck.

That is thoroughly dispiriting. I am at chapter 8 and I am not sure I can be bothered.

Fuck.

Oh shit, well, fuck.

That is thoroughly dispiriting. I am at chapter 8 and I am not sure I can be bothered.

Fuck.

I think if it sells and they make a sequel, we'll see a better game come out of it.

That is little comfort for me now when I wish that I had purchased Driver: San francisco instead.

My top tips to Relic for improvements:

Co-Op campaign (the game levels are big enough) in split screen form. More Jet Pack and more dakkadakka. Oh yeah, and try and make your game fun.

Cutscene/gameplay dissidence becomes very funny near the end. Your worthless Marine buddy, for a moment, suddenly becomes meaningful.

EDIT: Also, the multiplayer's fun if not a little insubstantial.

Actually I like most of the narrative beats. Apart from the stuff with the inquisitor.

I really liked that you see this masked FNG and I expected something to happen to him pretty early on that would stop him being the new guy (either bullets or a realisation). Instead he continues to be the new guy but obviously encased in heavy-duty protective armour.

I also liked the encounter with the Ork war boss, you think this really predictable thing is going to happen about halfway through. Instead you realise that, no, the Ork Warboss is a badass and it isn't that simple when you are a badass.

I am now at Chapter 13, only three more to go after this.