Sign in to follow this  
DanJW

Chernobyl exclusion zone open to the public

Including Pripyat.

uUeFx2fJSNE

There's been photos coming out of the zone for a long time, but the recent ones have been just as fascinating and weirdly beautiful. And now they also include weirdly anachronistic isolated people wondering around.

suess+2.jpg

Pictures of the exclusion zone (especially Pripyat) have always been. . .disquieting to me. Things like the (fairly famous) shots of the cribs and the playground just make my brain go "Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck. That's not right." How many years has it been now, anyway? It's a weird place.

Pictures of the exclusion zone (especially Pripyat) have always been. . .disquieting to me. Things like the (fairly famous) shots of the cribs and the playground just make my brain go "Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck. That's not right."

More generally, I've always found abandoned habitation rather unsettling, though perhaps not for quite the same reasons. Not sure quite how to articulate it, but it's something about how impermanent things are. Seeing photos of an abandoned home just gets me thinking of the people who probably lived there, with all of their hopes and things held dear.

Chernobyl ruined a lot of lives.

Now i'm feeling all melancholy, blah.

I, on the other hand, love UrbEx and exploration of abandoned places. It is probably because I'm v nosy and the chance to see what you're not supposed to and peek into peoples lives through what they left behind in a place is such a thrill. Less so when it's layered over such a tragedy as Chernobyl or etc (I prefer abandoned hospitals, as apparently do 90% of the people doing UrbEx of abandoned places).

Yeah I love Urban Decay and exploration too. The poignancy and echoes of the past, the melancholia and suggestion of transience and mortality - all part of what makes it such great subject matter. Like I said above, I find it weirdly beautiful.

Thumbs group holiday, anyone?

YES!

I thought we were going on a trip to central Africa to observe the puffins migration :/

I too love this kind of thing. It's often hauntingly beautiful. I found this picture earlier today. It's an abandoned mill in Sorrento, Italy:

slf0b.jpg

I particularly like it when nature sort of kreeps back in!

PiratePoo, that mill looks like an absolutely incredible location.

I too love urbex, and living in a city built on caves, I've had a poke around in quite a few of them. Probably the most dramatic were these (never used or finished) catacombs:

403635383_2200443b12_m.jpg

I also went to explore an abandoned power station a few weeks back, and a few of the cooling towers had their innards completely stripped out. The acoustics in the centre were incredible:

4UwjlGhd7j8

*Being awesome*

Very cool! I'd probably do that sort of stuff if we had anything of the sort around here. That kind of stuff doesn't bother me, because for starters, nature be awesome. It's the sort of, mmm, desolation and emptiness of Pripyat that bothers me, for the most part.