Sign in to follow this  
Thompson

Modern Warfare 3

Done with CoD at this point. I miss CoD2, and not having to fork out 60 bucks every 14 months for a rehash of the same concepts.

Which is sad, because the time I got out of WaW and CoD2 is vile and wrong.

Will it be Activision doing it? (no time to read up now sorry) CoDBlops was an absolutely steaming, runny pile of horse shit with diced carrot in.

It was Treyarch who did blops right? :grin:

I played the shit out of Cod4 multiplayer, but it was quite enough Cod for me. Their post-release support was piss poor as well and apparently still is.

Wow, more Call of Duty, huh? I will be every bit as not-surprised when Microsoft announces their Halo: CE remake later this year.

Will it be Activision doing it?

Yes?

I assume you actually mean to ask if it's Infinity Ward, which it apparently is, but with how that studio was gutted after the MW2 fiasco, i wouldn't put much stock in that. I've also heard some rumors that Raven Software will have a fairly significant ancillary role in developing MW3, in support of the restructured Infinity Ward.

I played the shit out of Cod4 multiplayer, but it was quite enough Cod for me. Their post-release support was piss poor as well and apparently still is.

yeah, they seem to have absolutely zero interest in actually ensuring some of the most popular multiplayer games out there are balanced and bug-free.

they're all about as much fun as you can possibly have in MP for the first two weeks after release, then people find all the exploits and ruin the game.

Done with CoD at this point. I miss CoD2, and not having to fork out 60 bucks every 14 months for a rehash of the same concepts.

Which is sad, because the time I got out of WaW and CoD2 is vile and wrong.

Call of Duty came out in Oct. 2003. CoD:UO (which fractured the audience) came out in Sept. 2004. CoD2 came out in Oct. 2005. CoD3 came out in 2006, MW in 2007. CoD:WaW in 2008. MW2 in 2009. CoD:BlOps in 2010...

It has always been a game on the anual release cycle. Anybody who didn't notice that with the release of UO likes to bitch about the game is now, should have had the sense to go back to playing mods 8 years ago. Retail multiplayer shooters are built with a self-destruct. Either enjoy them for what they are, or you're going to get burned.

Halo 2 had a great run. They kept patching it and adding maps for years even after the 360 was out. All the map packs gradually became free. That's the baseline for console shooters.

Halo 2 had a great run. They kept patching it and adding maps for years even after the 360 was out. All the map packs gradually became free. That's the baseline for console shooters.

sure but if you make over a billion dollars per game regardless of post-launch support, what motivation do you have to try harder? especially with daddy activision cracking the whip at your back for the sequel

lord knows i'll probably buy MW3 because i'm an idiot, but that doesn't mean i'll enjoy it.

Call of Duty came out in Oct. 2003. CoD:UO (which fractured the audience) came out in Sept. 2004. CoD2 came out in Oct. 2005. CoD3 came out in 2006, MW in 2007. CoD:WaW in 2008. MW2 in 2009. CoD:BlOps in 2010...

It has always been a game on the anual release cycle. Anybody who didn't notice that with the release of UO likes to bitch about the game is now, should have had the sense to go back to playing mods 8 years ago. Retail multiplayer shooters are built with a self-destruct. Either enjoy them for what they are, or you're going to get burned.

I did not actually notice that, because I didn't play CoD1/UO until after 2 had come out. Still, I think the quality of the last three is basically the same game over and over, so I will gripe, thanks very much.

Am I the only one who's reminded of Medal of Honor when I see that three studio collaboration? I've liked Call of Duty pretty much the whole way through, but this is the first title that I'm seriously considering taking a pass on.

I haven't played a Call of Battlefield Honor since Call of Duty 2 which I actually liked quite a lot. It used to be that I simply couldn't run them, but now I have lost my interest altogether simply because they are so many of them. I got Battlefield: Bad Company 2: Vietnam (great name!) with my graphics card, but it turned out to be just a non-standalone multiplayer expansion pack, so... :tmeh:

After the Activision/Infinity Ward fiasco, I'd probably buy Battlefield 3 over Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (although, reviews might affect my opinion somewhat). I don't know if that makes any rational sense, though.

Nevertheless, I'm sure that MW3 will be Gametrailers Best PC, Xbox360, PS3 and best overall game of the year 2011, so congrats on the developers already.

The Halo games have had pretty good, lengthy life cycles.

Halo: CE - Nov 2001

Halo 2 - Nov 2004

Halo 3 - Sept 2007

Halo Reach - Sept 2010

That's a 3 year cycle for the main-line Halo games.

If a Halo CE remake materializes later this year as rumored, it will probably be what ODST was to Halo 3, a solo/coop-focused "expansion pack sequel" that isn't meant to replace Reach within the multiplayer community.

You're not even counting all the earlier console games, like Big Red One and Finest Hour, it actually used to be worse.

I think that by now, my interest in Call of Duty is only to see whether they can actually make a better game than the last, that and the fact that it's a social black hole that has sucked up all of my friends will most likely lead me to buy it and play it more than I would probably like.

With that said, they can be quite fun games if pulled off well, I spent way too much time on World at War and Modern Warfare 2 just because they were good games to play with friends. I guess what I need to do is banish all of my friends from my life, pick up Deus Ex and System Shock 2 then play until completion, then I'll be a Real Gamer.

Bland

First time i've had no interest in a Call of Duty game based on the trailers, it's just so damn bland and same-y.

Bland

First time i've had no interest in a Call of Duty game based on the trailers, it's just so damn bland and same-y.

Yeah, the only thing that caught my eye was the underwater subway, that could be pretty interesting but I would rather not pay $60 for a 15 minute interactive movie.

Also COD:UO was the bomb, I used to play the shit out of a 24/7 Foy server.

I used to play the shit out of a 24/7 Foy server.

Preach. I used to hold the church with a machine gun mounted on the alter and a sniper friend in the tower. Good times.

After watching that trailer, something clicked. Call of Duty is like the Transformers movies to me. It's so disappointing to see something that should have you in it's audience no matter how far they bend it to meet popular demand. I mean the bar is pretty low for most fans in both cases, yet they still seem to miss.

That "music" is goddamn grating. Jumping on the whole district 9/Inception fad of DUMDUMdumdumdumduDUMDUMDUMD*LOOOUUUUD NOOOIIIISE*DUMDUMdumetc.

Anyway! Yawn. Not for me. That is all.