Sign in to follow this  
twmac

Better game critics please - a humbling article

I'm not much of a writer, but I thought it was an interesting read nonetheless. Thanks for that. :D

No problem. I think is a good article regardless of whether you write or not.

The points he made were completely valid and once I shook off the fact that he seemed to be telling me to stop writing about video games I enjoyed it a lot.

He isn't telling me to stop writing about video games, he is telling me to clearly illustrate my place in the hierachy of video game writing.

Which is fair enough.

It is a proper desire for a new type of games criticism, but obviously there is no need to scrap the reviews that so many do, and me too. They have their use, which is quite different from the goal of furthering games. Enrich the journalistic world, do not impoverish it.

I don't think he's arguing for all that to go away.

I don't think he's arguing for all that to go away.

Certainly not, although there is a bit of an undercurrent of "If that's what you want to do with your life rather than improving the world, fine, I guess...", which some might find a little disheartening. NEVERTHELESS, an interesting call-to-arms. While I enjoy much of the gaming environment as it is and has been, I do wonder whether more of a conscientious effort ought be made in making progress towards specific goals. Quite what those should be, I don't know. I like the idea of gaming exploring ways in which it's uniquely expressive, but that's the woolly hand-waving opinion of an uneducated gamer with no development experience.

What is that and what happened to the old games journalism?

What is that and what happened to the old games journalism?

got blown out of the water by a pirate

What do we think of New Games Journalism?

I like most of the stuff that Kieron Gillen wrote and have made some attempts to go in the same direction when it seemed valid. So I guess I like New Games Journalism.

As to how that relates to the article, even if the guy does seem to be looking down on NGJ, I think he just wants a disclaimer at a beginning of an article so that he knows he won't be interested in it.

I do take umbrage that writing for entertainment's sake doesn't change the world. If even one think you write makes someone laugh or think; I would be happy with that.

I haven't read the article linked to, I just think this thread is appropriate to post this link:

http://www.google.com/trends?q=Gamespot

It seems that events B/C* have really influenced their popularity, which makes me happy.

* I don't know if the letters will stay the same for others, they were about Jeff Gerstmann getting fired.

Yeah, I rarely visited Gamespot before hand but after the Gerstmann incident, I never bothered.

Weirdly, since Kotaku changed their format I have stopped going there and instead visit Joystiq when I need brain candy blogging.

Weirdly, since Kotaku changed their format I have stopped going there and instead visit Joystiq when I need brain candy blogging.

Exactly this. I took one look at that format, said "fuck that shit" and haven't been to their site since. It makes a good excuse to ignore them.

Exactly this. I took one look at that format, said "fuck that shit" and haven't been to their site since. It makes a good excuse to ignore them.

I stopped visiting Kotaku after one of their commenters politely criticized the quality of their journalism, so was IP banned and received a personal email filled with abuse from Crecente.

Yeah, professional.

I even get slightly irritated when I accidentally follow a link to Kotaku. I wouldn't go as far as to say I boycott them... except I guess I kind of do.

We have a huge thread on Size Five about how crap Kotaku, and in particular Crecente, is, with occasional cameos from Destructoid.