pabosher

iOS Gaming

Well, I played maybe ten minutes of Mini Metro before getting my refund. Never have I played a game that felt more suited to touch controls and yet was more difficult to control on phone. Laying down lines is easy—too easy—and removing lines (or, worse, removing a single station from a line) feels like it comes down to luck. Touching on a station cycles through the lines that are available... except when it doesn't and it insists on laying a new line. And then you'll fuck up your one good line trying to delete the one you just laid. There are colored dots along the right side of the screen that correspond to the lines but they glitch up half the time anyway. Despairing of a manageable way to add and remove stations, I finally found the tutorial... which just consisted of showing that dragging my finger from station to station creates a new line and that's it.

I'm sorry to stomp all over your zen garden, Dinosaur Polo, but you need to tell me how to play your game if you want me to play it. If you don't, that's fine, the trailer is very attractive.

Severed is on sale as part of a Halloween promo on the App Store, among others. Pretty decent so far!

On 10/19/2016 at 8:24 AM, J.C. said:
51 minutes ago, Gormongous said:

Well, I played maybe ten minutes of Mini Metro before getting my refund. Never have I played a game that felt more suited to touch controls and yet was more difficult to control on phone. Laying down lines is easy—too easy—and removing lines (or, worse, removing a single station from a line) feels like it comes down to luck. Touching on a station cycles through the lines that are available... except when it doesn't and it insists on laying a new line. And then you'll fuck up your one good line trying to delete the one you just laid. There are colored dots along the right side of the screen that correspond to the lines but they glitch up half the time anyway. Despairing of a manageable way to add and remove stations, I finally found the tutorial... which just consisted of showing that dragging my finger from station to station creates a new line and that's it.

I'm sorry to stomp all over your zen garden, Dinosaur Polo, but you need to tell me how to play your game if you want me to play it. If you don't, that's fine, the trailer is very attractive.

I TOTALLY AGREE. I've been struggling mightily with the controls. Seems they prioritized aesthetics over functionality. The clean interface means the "multi-tool" that is my finger constantly clicks the incorrect line, train, etc. My finger also usually covers whatever visual clues they do include. I drag a track to a new station and the station under my finger shows either a confirmation that i can place it or a symbol that I can't. I don't actually know what those things look like because it's under my finger. Playing on a big phone, too, so that shouldn't be a problem.

Also, yes, deleting stations is impossible. Especially once you create a loop, there seems to be no way to take out a line between two stops without deleting the entire track from wherever the "T" thing lies.

I'm going to keep at it, cos I'm still enjoying it, but a tool selector in the UI would go a long way to making this a less frustrating experience on mobile.

On 2016-11-07 at 7:21 PM, skamakazi said:

Finally beat Solitairica with all 6 decks. Very awesome game, highly recommend it!

Just managed it myself last night. Don't have all the inventory space upgrades yet, but I do have wins with all decks. Another spell that is super powerful is the one that makes a shield that bounces back damage. It takes 8 defense which is a lot to save up, but against big damage spells with a lead time, (barring weird status effects) it takes an equivalent number of cards off the board which can be huge.

I highly recommend checking out Meteorfall! It’s a deck building rogue like with simple swipe left or right interaction. Streamlined yet plenty of depth and discovery in there. I’m enjoying it.

On 1/25/2018 at 7:47 AM, Mington said:

New the room game comes out today: The Room Old sins 👍🏻

The Room games are so good.