pabosher

iOS Gaming

I've played the shit out of Card Crawl and am a few thousand diamonds away from buying all the special power cards. Lately I've been trying to complete the "win 10 games without using special powers" objective, and it sure seems like you have to play with near-perfect efficiency, which ultimately relies on a lucky card draw order?

You have a margin of like 3 HP so yeah there's some luck involved, but I knocked that one out in like 20 tries so it's not super hard (or I got real lucky).

i got warbits, haven't played it yet. saving it for a plane ride in the near future.

Yeah, i played the first 6 missions and it's super good! Very Advance Wars (so far, don't know if it adds anything new to the formula later on) :tup:

Fallen London just launched their iOS port. Some pretty nice writing in that! 

System requirements way beyond my poor old iPhone 4 though.

Warbits almost made me miss my bus stop today. I have a few interface quibbles but that's it.

yes super tribes and warbits both get a ditto from me. Fallen London's load times need some serious work. Also it's kind of terrible at staying synched/updates with current status. The only way to guarantee that it updates your turns left is to manually log out every time you stop playing and log in when you start. If you don't do that and task switch into it hours after you ran out of actions, odds are, in my experience, better than 50% it will still read zero actions available when you come back to it.

Reigns is super good y'all. http://nerial.co.uk/reigns/#more

It's kind of a resource management kingdom sim consisting entirely of binary choices (swipe right and left) but somehow manages to pack in a surprising amount of depth (including a a dueling system that's an homage to insult swordfighting)

Reigns is super good y'all. http://nerial.co.uk/reigns/#more

It's kind of a resource management kingdom sim consisting entirely of binary choices (swipe right and left) but somehow manages to pack in a surprising amount of depth (including a a dueling system that's an homage to insult swordfighting)

Agreed! As I was saying on the Slack, it gets the medievalist seal of approval from me. Rulership in the Middle Ages was entirely about personal relationships and low-information short-term decision-making, so the Tinder interface does a great job of forcing the player into a similar decision space as your average medieval king: you know how to succeed, vaguely, but it's not often that you're given the right combination of circumstances to actually put that knowledge into practice.

My main complaint is that the plot, insofar as there is one, manages to be both vague and obtrusive, and when it's over you have to reset your entire game to keep playing. That's not great. Also, your rulers only get epithets the first time they get one of the achievements, so the first couple centuries I had a bunch of flavorful-sounding kings, then a lot of bare names towards the end of the game. Patching in regnal numbers would go a long, long way to fixing that gripe.

I just started playing it and I'm enjoying it. I think that the sound seems like simple implementation at first, but it really helps my level of engagement.

Mini Metro is out now on iOS (and Android). Universal app.

They are a little shorter than I'd prefer but the puzzle games by Maciej Targoni are clever. Does a great job of slowly integrating new mechanics as you progress. On phone so can't grab link, sorry. Suggest buying klocki and hook for 0.99 each (USD).

Seconding these, they are quite good. 

6 hours ago, skamakazi said:

They are a little shorter than I'd prefer but the puzzle games by Maciej Targoni are clever. Does a great job of slowly integrating new mechanics as you progress. On phone so can't grab link, sorry. Suggest buying klocki and hook for 0.99 each (USD).

Some thoughts on solitairica:

I've managed wins with the first three character classes so far, but the Rogue is messing with me. I think the spells available in the shop at any given time might be different based on character class? which is a problem because I leaned on the shield bash a lot for the first 3 characters but it hasn't shown up for me as rogue. Anyways, shield bash is real good. There's one enemy who reflects the stun back at you, but against everyone else, it is super useful.

edit: turns out you do get access to shield bash with rogue, but anecdotally, at least, it shows up later than with the other 3 classes. I haven't played that many rounds, so it could be just rng and confirmation bias.

The x-ray glasses (see 2 cards deep in every stack for 80 gold, I think) if/when they show up are SO key. Every win I have has been with that thing. There's a spell that does the same thing, but its not the same as having it always on. Knowing what's in the card behind plus judicious use of a spell that destroys a single targeted card (to access the one behind) lets you rack up huge coin bonuses for long chains which in turn means you can afford the extra life crystals. Which is important because you absolutely can just get screwed over by RNG. I have died and then without changing my loadout at all strolled through the same fight with full health.

Another good spell (also for its ability to perpetuate chains) is the agility one (forget the name of it) that changes the cards to the left and right of the card you target to the cards immediately preceding and following it.

Lastly, due to poison effects that ignore armour, and certain enemy abilities that specifically target and destroy armour, health is much more useful than armour imo if you're deciding between them for what passive boost item to pick up. Shop availability can mean you don't always have a choice though.

I actually have only won with Rogue so far. Will have to think on what my strategy was. Monk is awesome and you'll like it. Specializes in defense and I have multiple ways to stun opponents.

Deck exclusive effect spells do "add 2 armor and stun 1 turn" and play a freakin wild card

...and Rogue done. Monk is pretty sweet so far. Not sure I need the shield bash with that deck exclusive stun.