pabosher

iOS Gaming

I saw that I could grease the tracks to Calcutta for a few hundred extra pounds so I went ahead and expedited the departure-time. Unfortunately, our ticket-price was not included so we could not board the train we had so generously advanced. Broke, we decided to get a transfer from the bank, but it being Saturday, we had to wait for it to open at 9:00 am on Monday. So we did. We waited a day for the transfer, but because everything leaves Bombay at 9:00am and the bank opens at 9:00am, we could not leave until Wednesday.

oh man i did the exact same thing in a different location (with the added kick of, I think, not figuring in the added cost of the hotel for the extra waiting time?) and started over, pretty much certain that i had screwed myself beyond hope for recovery. Godspeed!

Just completed my first full trip with 7 days to spare. I don't feel I really have much in the way of strategic-lessons-learned as much of it seems tied up in random number generators?

1) In my aborted attempt I attempted to cross Russia which seemed to take longer than than the one I finished which used the Suez route

2) Plan, and if a departure time is a few days out, often it will be better to use that time to hit up the bank for more funds instead of haggling for an earlier departure.

but beyond that it all seems a bit of a crapshoot?

One nit is that occasionally your interactions will net you a "You are now courageous/suave etc." but there is zero transparency about where those attributes have an effect on subsequent interactions (I mean presumably they do, but maybe they don't, who knows?).

The narrative scenarios are really excellent though and it seems like there are a lot of them as it tells you that you visited x out of y countries at the end and I think I hit maybe ~22/144 I think? And there are unique vignettes for each port of call, I would have to imagine.

I'm so not going to make it. I'm headed to San Francisco now and I'm on day 65. I keep on asking people about connecting routes from Burlington (because I don't want to go throigh New Orleans) but no one knows anything.

I'm okay with failing though. I'll enjoy a second play-through. Congratulations on winning the wager Juv3nal!

Did another run. If you take a "hover ship" from I think...Yokohama to Honolulu something interesting happens.

There is a full blown murder mystery. Unfortunately you're under the gun because you only have a limited amount of time until you arrive at your destination to solve the thing. Which I failed to do. I believe it's the same mystery Emshort alludes to

There are a lot of spoilers in this article.

http://killscreendaily.com/articles/80-days-alternate-reality-anti-colonialism-adventure-we-all-deserve/

If anyone ever asks me how politics of inclusion have ever made art better, I'm going to point them to 80 Days.

I finished my first journey in 98 days. Hitting that 80th day was one of the most demotivating events in my gaming history.

Here's another article where Jon Ingold talks about the game's pacing and design.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/222510/80_Days_Building_the_perfect_text_adventure_for_mobile.php

An interview of all three 80 Days developers.

http://kaijupop.com/2014/08/scenic-route-making-80-days/

I'm looking forward to listening to the podcast. Ingold just making an affirmation that procedural-character narratives just won't work and are broken doesn't convince me. Maybe he gives a more convincing argument in the audio recording. I enjoy hearing about the design-decisions of 80 Days though.

Downloaded it today based on your ravings. It is pretty A+ already. I'm only 15 days in or so, but i'm really pissed off at myself for getting caught on the trans-siberian express with seemingly no choice but to nearly kill my guy.

I lent my phone to my wife last night so she could play it. She missed a train and rage-quit. I can't play today because I'm not sure if she is going to have calmed down and want to go back to it.

I lent my phone to my wife last night so she could play it. She missed a train and rage-quit. I can't play today because I'm not sure if she is going to have calmed down and want to go back to it.

Weirdly this comment sold the game to me :D Reminded me of what i get like when playing KoDP & FTL. 

Downloaded it today based on your ravings. It is pretty A+ already. I'm only 15 days in or so, but i'm really pissed off at myself for getting caught on the trans-siberian express with seemingly no choice but to nearly kill my guy.

So a trick (bug?) I encountered

when you're given the prompt to either wait, converse, or tend to Fogg, if you tap rapidly on the tend to Fogg option (don't remember the actual text offhand), you can sometimes get it to register the healing effect multiple times per a single prompt. One time I was able to heal him a couple of times and still hit converse.

Also another small thing at the very beginning

The narrative text seems intent on shuffling you off to Paris as the first leg of your journey but you can manually pick Cambridge instead, which is interesting, at least, if not necessarily a more advantageous or quicker route.

My best time is now 57 days which I attribute my success to

front loading a long delay to withdraw as much as I could in one go from the bank at Paris. My reasoning was that funds transfer might be quicker in closer proximity to London although I have my doubts as to whether the the game actually models that

Thanks to the enthusiastic impressions from Thumbs posters I ended up downloading this game last night, and it is indeed great. The whole aesthetic presentation is knocked out of the park, but I want to give a shout out to the score of the game which perfectly captures the spirit of adventure.

I find the idea of someone rage quitting the game hilarious, but the only other games I've really been playing lately have been DOTA & Dark Souls 2 so this game is comparatively definitely sedate and relaxing.

Got around in 87 days. The game continued to surprise me as onayed through. Really excellent. Next I shall try the southerly route as recommended by my master.

Highlights included

getting held up by a rocket ship pilot, fermenting a mutiny on board a ship, bisexual adventures in America, riding atop a walking city in India

The narrative text seems intent on shuffling you off to Paris as the first leg of your journey but you can manually pick Cambridge instead, which is interesting, at least, if not necessarily a more advantageous or quicker route.

Pretty sure Cambridge unlocks after the first play, which is why it isn't flagged heavily in the text - it's an Easter egg.

(The real Easter egg,

I think, is the steam-powered car that takes you from Tangier to Lisbon. It's called a Gardner-Serpollet car, which is I think anachronistic - they were closer to the end of the 19th century. Serpollet was the driver of the first steam-powered car to break the land-speed record in 1902, which was called l'Oeuf de Pacques - the Easter Egg.

I love the care that went into this game. How many people are going to get that joke?)

I bought 80 days to play at PAX. I managed the trip with 8 hours to spare on my first try, despite Cholera, being robbed by Jesse James, and getting caught up in a rebel plot to steal a steam shovel.

Well worth the price, now my wife is playing it :)

I'm planning on getting an iPad for mostly non-gaming reasons, but I figured I'd check out what's on offer.

What the fuck.

Never before have I been presented with so many absolutely gorgeous-looking games that I love the sound of, yet are mercilessly soiled by gameplay that hinges upon some bullshit in-game currency that you have to pay real money for in order to play the game at a tolerable rate. I'd quite happily pay a good chunk of money to outright buy these games, but the proposition of forever being at the mercy of 'mega tokens', 'magic orbs', 'super tickets', or whatever the hell sickens me.

Maybe it's just because I happen to love builder/simulation games and these are the most prime targets for this kind of nonsense? I'm seeing games that I dreamt of when I was younger like being able to build Jurassic Park and Springfield, but the borderline malicious implementation of payment mechanics repels me because I know that I'll always be wondering when the next bag of shit will come along that I have to pay for the removal of. It's really very disappointing!

I'm planning on getting an iPad for mostly non-gaming reasons, but I figured I'd check out what's on offer.

What the fuck.

Never before have I been presented with so many absolutely gorgeous-looking games that I love the sound of, yet are mercilessly soiled by gameplay that hinges upon some bullshit in-game currency that you have to pay real money for in order to play the game at a tolerable rate. I'd quite happily pay a good chunk of money to outright buy these games, but the proposition of forever being at the mercy of 'mega tokens', 'magic orbs', 'super tickets', or whatever the hell sickens me.

One of the few positives about the craze is that so many of them use the exact same format for screenshots that you know instantly what type of game it is and quickly checking out what the in-app purchases will likely show you if its just another multiple currency free to play fest.  I'm sure there are some great examples of free to play games on ios that don't abuse the energy/currency systems but they are really tough to find.

Currently have a wishlist of 1st&Goal, 80 Days, The Room Two, Motorsport Manager, Knights of Pen & Paper RPG, and Leo's Fortune.  All of these but the Room are $5.  I plan on grabbing two or waiting a bit in the off chance of a sale.  Anyone play any of these and have an opinion?  This thread has confirmed 80 Days will be one of them.

The Room Two is excellent, and I'd definitely recommend it if you've played the first one.

I liked 80 days a lot. My wife is crazily obsessed with it, has put about 20 hours in, and has been known to sketch fan art.

The Room Two is the only other one on the list I've played, and if you're interested you've probably already played The Room, so you know what you're getting. Personally, I'd get Device 6 over either of The Room games, but they're all really great.

Grabbed 80 days and beat it on my first run in 77 days.  A camel ride, trip on a walking city, and an overly optimistic captain pushing his vessel to the point of breaking on the way to New Orleans almost did me in.  I wish I would have tried that experimental ship to Hong Kong and kept my cash a little better after a few incidents in America.  But overall this game was incredible and I could see myself jumping in a few more times at a minimum.  I hope my wife enjoys it as much as I did.

I think I only lost one day to the running clock in the Market/Planning portion.  By and large my strategy was to grab full outfits as soon as I could and I never had any issue with Fogg falling below 50.  I really want to read some of the more in depth talk on the game previously in this thread but don't want to spoil it or find out the path to easy victory.

Lastly, I noticed the main menu mentions a seed at the bottom.  Anyone know what that changes fundamentally?  Do you always start in London and with the same master/companion?  Thanks a lot for the recommendation everyone.

Yes you always start in london with the same master. The seed changes some paths that are available as well as a few events.

Also, the Room Two is currently on sale for .99, I picked it up.

Someone else mentioning The Room 2 sale earlier this week got me to finally start playing The Room last night. My wife and I curled up in bed and played it for about an hour. It's neat! And a perfect little game to play with someone else.

I just got my first iPhone in a little over four years. It's cool how I can still access all the stuff I bought back then (eh Nintendo?), but I am devastated to find that Sword and Poker doesn't run properly on a modern iOS device. That game was amazing and seems to be the only good iOS idea ever that hasn't been endlessly cloned.

I bought a couple of Cave games just to give them money really and am very impressed at how well they work. Bullet hell on a tiny wee screen with touch controls didn't sound great to me but it works a hell of a lot better than most games available. Getting quietly addicted to Desert Golfing too and will pick up 80 Days based on all yous and your optimism. I am a convert.