pabosher

iOS Gaming

Monument Valley is pretty sweet

http://www.monumentvalleygame.com/

it's only a bit over an hour long, i think, so if that cost/duration ratio is a problem for you, well, ok, but totally worth it imo.

plays like echochrome more or less? but amazing music and visuals.

Yeah, played a bit of it this morning. It's beautiful and great! I really love all the Escher-esque visual tricks they pull off with such ease. Reminds me of Fez in some ways.

Very beautiful! Completed it in a one go, which is unusual for me.

Monument Valley joins Republique and a bunch of other iOS stuff that I look forward to playing in a year or so when they find their way onto Android.

Monument Valley was an ok audio-visual experience, but I didn't feel it really did much with the mechanics. Generally, it's just "walk the single obvious path to the destination", without much problem solving. I think you can count the times it actually used Escher-impossible space problem solving on one hand. Otherwise it's basically just dressed up "pull lever to open door."

Mechanically, I feel the space has been better explored in Echochrome and Naya's Quest.

Yeah, I think I agree; it's a pretty game but there's not a lot going on.

Ooooooosh

attachicon.gif image.jpg

Beat that

:x

kxPoYEl.jpg

Also, anyone looking for a time-waster that you can jump in and out of, try Robotek. It's a turn-based strategy game with an element of luck. And it's free.

Dangit! ...that made me laugh btw. Made me feel like a little kid who just struck out in t-ball lol.

Why don't I like Republique? It seems like everything I love in games, but I just can't get past the first 10 minutes. I actually think I'd like it more if it wasn't on iPad. 

Yeah I don't enjoy republique either. I found it all a bit clunky and clumsy. Not for me (I knew it wouldn't be before I bought it, I'll learn one day)

I did enjoy broken age though, ALOT! played through the whole of part one today. Then left them a super good iTunes review. They need them, rally the troops!

To what source do you go to find reviews and info about good* iOS and Android games?

*no onscreen joysticks, FTP crap, overly drawn out experiences. I find extended play sessions on tablets and phones uncomfortable.

Places like Toucharcade tend to cover everything. I need Pretentioustouchgaming.com

Dead Man's Draw is a push-your-luck card game. You draw for high cards, then decide whether or not to increase your take at the risk of busting by drawing two of one suit. Simple enough. As you play through the first few matches, you'll quickly unlock the suit's abilities which allow you to do things like stealing an opponents card or seeing what the next card drawn will be. All of these abilities are passively activated simply by drawing them. The exception to this is that sometimes a chain of casuality will reactivate a card; for instance, if you steals a fortune-teller card from the opponent then its ability will become active, allowing you to see the next card drawn.

If you look through the reviews, most of the complaints are about the game's reliance on luck. For me, the reliance on luck just makes the stability of card abilities more powerful; it also adds to the gentlelady, fantasy-pirate theme.

The character-art is above par and I find myself enjoying the archtypes that they have distilled. I haven't encountered any story-elements, but the visuals and mechanics do a good enough job of giving it the feel on a port-town tavern with knives drawn at the card-table.

I imagine that the math of the game will allow me to optimize quickly, but I've enjoyed playing it for the last hour and it's free.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/dead-mans-draw/id584916423?mt=8

I played a ton of that game just before christmas last year. It is pretty sweet, but the iAPs got to me eventually. Definitely worth a go though, as it did take a while for them to rear their head.