pabosher

iOS Gaming

full spoil ahead:

it's probably a lot simpler than you're thinking, you just draw paths that connect the pairs of letters in "IS MY EX"

full spoil ahead:

it's probably a lot simpler than you're thinking, you just draw paths that connect the pairs of letters in "IS MY EX"

That's rather disappointing. Thanks for telling me though.

I came up with better puzzles than that by trying to solve it; pshaw.

I just finished Device 6. Don't read this unless you have too.

I turned off Device 6 pretty much immediately. Is there an alternate ending if you try to access files?

When I read the ...manifesto at the end, I started fantasizing that they might actually use my data in an attempt to update the content of the game in such a way that a player similar to myself may not turn off Device 6. I checked the update notes in the app-store and saw no evidence of such nefarious attempts.

I don't know, I kinda want a bowler-hat now.

That link puzzle in chapter 4 was the only one I couldn't solve (because I assumed it had to be atleast as complex as the puzzles in chapter 2--> Maybe I'm bitter, but I think the game would have been better without that puzzle.

My favorite puzzle was Chapter 3's compass-clock.

My favorite level was Chapter 5; as soon as I started going down the elevator, the game had an additional suspension of belief. I wonder if that's why I like it when artists show an awareness of the medium and play with assumptions of format a bit, because it makes me think "Well if they are willing to break the barrier between fiction and reality by making art that acknowleges its own existence, then who knows where they will stop?"

fyi KotOR is surprisingly playable on a phone. It's also currently on sale, I think.

Pretty bad as far as battery drain goes, although maybe not as bad as xcom which on my phone, anyways is the worst.

Skulls of the shogun is FREE on iPhone/iPad right now

Thanks! Just in time for my flight home. I never played it as much as I would have liked on PC.

I was going to ask about Device 6 and Year Walk, but seeing how much people are talking about Device 6 that's one down, so does anybody vouch for Year Walk?

Not really :/ I quit year walk after a couple of hours (got stuck), it's not really a game as such more a piece of interactive art. A lot of people loved it though

Get the room and the room 2 if you haven't already

Year Walk: Not Game, Really.

Nah, it's a game (and apparently too hard for you, Mington ;) ) and it's nice and short. The puzzles aren't great but the atmosphere is. Device 6 is more interesting, though.

What is game?

- an activity that one engages in for amusement.

Okay, I've been schooled. All is game.

I got stuck on a trial and error sequence which I should have wrote down on a bit of paper but I was to comfortable/lazy to get up, so instead failed repeatedly got massively irritated and proclaimed to the world THIS IS NOT GAME

In fact you can witness my demise on page 2 of this very thread :)

Edit: lies, it was the iPad thread https://www.idlethumbs.net/forums/topic/7090-ipad-gaming/page-2

If anyone is looking for a fresh match-three with simple yet challenging mechanics, Chip-Chain is really good. free on both ios and android

At first it looks like a unimaginative version of Triple Town, but it has an additional card-system that makes it into a different game entirely.

Has anyone noticed how there's actually a back-and-forth between micro-transactions and xp-rewards? It seems that some designers decided to monetize by charging for xp-rewards and consumables that are typically earned through skilled play, but then that forced them to come up with xp-rewards and consumables that people were compelled to pay for. Now, some games are taking inspiration from the monetized forms and demonetizing them. Chip Chain has done exactly this and it an be kind of confusing, especially because you would expect that a free game will eventually corrupt itself by demanding money for key features. Chip Chain starts off with a few available game modes, three types of cards and 8(?) types of chips. It's a satisfying game in that initial form, but as you finish games and earn xp, you can buy new chips, new cards and new game-modes. Of course, you can spend money to get enough xp to unlock all the features permanently, but I enjoy paying for my chip and card upgrades by playing.

That's the meta-game though, here is what you actually do:

-You place a chip and then the AI places a chip.

-Matches of three or more consolidates all of them into one chip of a higher number (on the spot that you click)

-When you make a match that uses the chip you consoliated on the previous turn, you earn a card.

-Cards can be activated at any time, don't count as turns, have special abilities, and you initialy can only have three in your hand.

So this might not make sense until you try it once, but here is an example of how it goes down:

After placing enough chips to fill the board, I have three contigous 1's bordering six contigous 2's which border one 3. I have a card that allows me to increase the number on one a single chip by one.

I click on one of the 1's that is touching a two, this consolidates all the 1's into a single 2-chip on the spot I clicked.

Then I use my card on a 2 which borders the 3 to increase it's value to 3. The reason I did this was so I would have three 3's to match once I consolidate the 2's.

Then I click on a 2 that borders one of the two 3's I now have. This "chain" (I made a match that included the resulting chip from my last non-card move) rewards me with a new card.

So now I have three 3's so I click on one of them for a new card. Everything I have clicked on has resulted in a single 4-chip.

I know that won't make since unless you try it.

It's addictive, be warned. I've already earned the card that allows you to make a copy of a chip and the ability to consolidate chips up to a value of 10. It's not work, game is super fun.

House of the dead overkill is free (they've stuffed aload of ads and freemium bs in, but it's a nice little distraction, good for practising head shots come the apocalypse)

Don't know if it was mentioned yet, but Adventure Bar Story is probably the best RPG I've played for iOS. It's paid, $2.99, but I think there's a Christmas sale for $0.99. It's got your classic RPG elements of equipment, monsters, and dungeons, but it adds in this mechanic of cooking food to sell for money and to eat for experience. It's a nice bit of variation.

If you plan on playing it-- Fried Eggs and Bacon are the best items to cook!

What is game?

- an activity that one engages in for amusement.

Okay, I've been schooled. All is game.

I got stuck on a trial and error sequence which I should have wrote down on a bit of paper but I was to comfortable/lazy to get up, so instead failed repeatedly got massively irritated and proclaimed to the world THIS IS NOT GAME

In fact you can witness my demise on page 2 of this very thread :)

Edit: lies, it was the iPad thread https://www.idlethumbs.net/forums/topic/7090-ipad-gaming/page-2

Was that the part when you have 

entered the Huldras "domain"? 'Cause that's not trial and error. All the "vocals" are different and if you follow the one that's in tune with the background music you will get to the end. If you follow one that is out of tune (or unharmonious or whatever it is called) you'll be sent back to the beginning.

I really liked Year Walk, although it was a bit short. 

It's always nice to see a bit of your local folklore be represented in mediums you enjoy :)

I found a game called TEN, which is basically tic-tac-toe but played over ten (get it? ;)) grids at once.

On the gameboard you see 9 grids laid out in a 3x3 fashion, forming the tenth grid. The first player chooses a grid in which to play his/her first move. Each of the spaces within a grid corresponds to one of the 9 grids on the main board, so if the first player chooses to place his mark in the top left corner of the active grid the game will then move focus to that grid. The second player will then place his/her mark on that grid and the game will change focus according to his/her selection.

To win the game you must score three in a row on the 10th grid. You score on the 10th grid when you win in one of the smaller grids.

Not the best explanations, but I'm in a hurry :P It's fun to play with other people! It was free when I got it, and if it still is I recommend it :P

Yeah that's the bit, maybe I was over thinking it, I remembering I kept messing it up on the 7th or 8th bit of the sequence. Why was it sooooo long, real talk, that was poor design

Stupid Swedish folklore ;)

I would recommend the board game ports of Ascension, Agricola, Lords of Waterdeep, Suburbia, Le Havre and Eclipse.

http://boardgamegeek.com/blog/164/ios-board-games this blog covers a heap of new releases and is really helpful.

Device 6, Rayman Jungle Run, the Room 1 & 2, Cook, Serve Delicious, Sword and Sworcery, Little Inferno, 10000000, Ridiculous Fishing, The Wolf Among Us, Incredipede, Might and Magic:Clash of Heroes, 868 Hack and Spaceteam are all great.

There's also ports of Ghost Trick, Chrono Trigger, Secret of Mana, XCOM and World of Goo that I haven't played but hear good things.

Hundreds, Super Hexagon and Lili are also games I've heard a lot of positives about but have yet to play.

Paint it back has been dominating my time.  It's basically just a Nonogram game like Picross, but it's pretty well made.

When someone complains about anything being 'too short' I always automatically move it over to the 'Pros' column in my head and remove the 'too'.

I've started doing this as well with most games, but with Device 6 and Year Walk it actually just felt like they ended too early. Could really have done with another puzzle or too. 

However, to each their own, different strokes for different folks, taste is like the butt... split.

I've started doing this as well with most games, but with Device 6 and Year Walk it actually just felt like they ended too early. Could really have done with another puzzle or too. 

However, to each their own, different strokes for different folks, taste is like the butt... split.

I can't really say I found either of them too short, but that's not to say I didn't want more of them. Year Walk having the 

Companion app extra bit

was really nice and I felt added a lot to it.