pabosher

iOS Gaming

And you would be correct, Candy Crush Saga is a cleverly disguised pay-to-win game. I do like the timed extra lives mechanic, though, in a better game where skill was much more important it'd provide delicious tension without having to do a lot of balance work.

So, my work is getting me an iPhone. Up until now I have been stuck in the games wasteland of Windows Phone 7/8. So what awesome games are there that were out three years ago that I shrugged off because I couldn't play any of them? What would you folks consider iPhone classics?

I've found that the games I play on the iphone are largely determined by the activity I'm currently engaged in where I am playing an iphone game.

One of the reasons I really enjoy Backflip Madness is that I can do something rewarding, very quickly. This way I can still pay attention to my surroundings.

I quite like "Drop 7 Free" and "Flow Free". (I believe I just have free versions and there are full versions, as both these apps have "Free" in their names... and I know I didnt pay for them...) 

They're both pretty fun puzzle games that I like to use to waste time.

OH and Logic Square. Time just dissolves when I play that one, the big problem is its full of Engrish.

(All of my suggestions are free iOS games that I have on my iPod Touch, some of them have been on there for ages.)

It's not a game, but Lord Cremo twittered about the Beethoven 9 app. It is amazing! So amazing. I have a huge crush on Leonard Bernstein now as well.

Also, loving iOS 7 unexpectedly. The safari update especially.

So, work gave me an iPhone 5C. I need a list of the go-to games that have been Android/iOS exclusive. Pretty much anything, old or new, is fair game. I've been stuck with a Windows phone so I haven't had the chance to play much.

Bad Piggies is a great game. You build vehicles to get to places and then you have to control when your bottle-rockets go off and that type of thing.

If you have never made techno before, Figure is easy to use and satisfying.

Wabash Cannonball is a board game adaption of Chicago Express. I enjoyed playing against the A.I. for a week or so.

The Show Must Go On is a neat little game, it won't take you long to consume it, but the quality of the food is high.

Backflip Madness has some poor design decisions, but I was intoxicated by it for a while.

yeah ditto on figure. It's not a game, and I don't have delusions of making anything great with it, but it's tons of fun randomly mashing around and making something that sound decent.

Apparently Chris did the music for this game:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/captain-bubblenaut/id596632987?mt=8

Anyone try it out yet?

It's great, it's a perfect game to fire up if you have a few spare minutes. The theme song is incredibly catchy, lately if I wake up with a hangover that music is echoing around in my skull, which is totally demented.

I am hopelessly addicted to Pocket Trains. Either send help, or send me spare train parts via Gamecenter.

This has happened before, as I actually beat Tiny Tower. I got every single floor that existed, all they way upgraded.

I'm enjoying San Juan which I believe is a port of Puerto Rico for the iphone. It's a card game whose core-loop feels similar to that of Le Havre. The card format is far more suited for the iphone than Le Havre's boardgame medium, but it comes at the expense of Le Havre's sense of place, depth, and multi-player interaction. While Le Havre is building a city competitively with other players, San Juan feels like you are in a race to build a neighborhood with buildings of the higher arbitrary numerical-values.

San Juan gives you much faster games though, if that is what you need. A game of San Juan takes about as long as a game of Ticket-To-Ride. Le Havre, by comparison, seems to take longer; it is probably because investment and development is tied more to time in Le Havre than space.

Being able to use other player's modes of production for a fee evokes much more envy and greed in me (Le Havre) than picking a communal role for a round from a pool of shared duties (San Juan).

Actually, San Juan is a port of Puerto Rico for cards. It's an existing physical game, and a nice one at that as it manages to reduce Puerto Rico's complex decision making into a card based system. It has a lot in common, mechanically, with Race for the Galaxy which is a, honestly, much better game (and a lot of what powers that was basically the same thing: It was originally meant to be a card version of Puerto Rico. Ideas are sort of shared between them). Unfortunately, you can't play RftG digitally yet though it is coming. Albeit, unfortunately, via Goko.com

I hope a version of Puerto Rico comes out for the iphone so I can play it and compare it to San Juan :)

There is a Puerto Rico port for iOS but I believe it is iPad only. I think there isn't enough screen space to really do the game any justice on a phone.

It is really excellet on the ipad though, if that gives you any comfort.

I didn't really know where else to put this, but holy crap does the iOS port of Final Fantasy V look bad. Since this is Squeenix, they'll probably be cahrging 20 bucks for this too.

QtMThNk.png

...that can't be real. Right?

I think it's a mind game or something. Just stare at the moon or whatever trying to figure out how the texture's repeating and suddenly the moon starts staring back...