They've patched the game and killed the ATI lines dead. Bravo!

What does this mean?

NON-LISTENER DETECTED.

(Weinhandler, the name of that player, is a card game featured in The Idle Thumbs Podcast.)

It's a bot so I guess that's a reference? There seem to be a ton of bot names. I didn't even notice the Castro Situation, good eyes Brannigan.

I also like this screenshot, because

buffing the weinhandler's gun is maybe the 2nd most hilarious thing I've ever heard.

<- Look at screenie first.

NON-LISTENER DETECTED.

(Weinhandler, the name of that player, is a card game featured in The Idle Thumbs Podcast.)

Heh. I gave up :)

The game is really good. Early on in the game I'd suggest setting the auto objectives on, then changing once you understand more what you are doing. I had a few problems with my ATI 4870, though solved them by downloading the 11.2 Catalyst drivers.

Playing the Single player challenges is a good way to get decent starting kit and understand the game concepts, don't bother with the starting video 1000 exp is earned in a short time. Then jump into multiplayer.

Hey Patters, Remo and I were wondering whether that was you on the Brink server with us last night. I guess probably so? Funny :gaming:

Can anyone shed any light on how I operate the filters in the server browser? I don't have a clue what to type in the mysterious text field...

Can anyone shed any light on how I operate the filters in the server browser? I don't have a clue what to type in the mysterious text field...

if you're going by gametype, objective is your standard multiplayer, stopwatch is also. Campaign is co-op. Challenge is...well challenge.

I'm referring to this witchcraft:

pNaQ2.jpg

How do I filter out empty servers? In every other game you tick a box which is normally already ticked.

I'm referring to this witchcraft:

pNaQ2.jpg

How do I filter out empty servers? In every other game you tick a box which is normally already ticked.

I know, just didn't know which field you were talking about :P

Not sure, I never bother really, I just sort by ping

Hey Patters, Remo and I were wondering whether that was you on the Brink server with us last night. I guess probably so? Funny :gaming:

Yeah it was, I was all up in stealing your identity.

Played some more on the weekend... I think if I had a group like I did back in the L4D1 days this would be a lot more interesting, but right now it feels way too straight forward of a shooter and I've only been on disorganized team fighting another disorganized team, so it feels very much like basic death match with some goals.

Furthering that, all the goes seem to just be "go here, hit the a key for x amount of time" So...... yeah...

Backstory is cool, Art is consistantly great, presentation is great; just ghe game seems to be pretty meh.

Brink has full Steamworks support, so you can alt-tab, right click on steam, click servers and do all your browsing, filtering and favoring there. The in-game browser was really bad at launch (it actually had an unusable frame rate) so I haven't gone back since.

Brink has full Steamworks support, so you can alt-tab, right click on steam, click servers and do all your browsing, filtering and favoring there. The in-game browser was really bad at launch (it actually had an unusable frame rate) so I haven't gone back since.

They fixed the frame rate lag thing, also refreshes waaaaaaaaaaay faster.

That's pretty handy, shame you can't access it in the overlay because Brink doesn't alt-tab very reliably.

Man, this game is garbage in a few key ways that are really souring my experience. The biggest offense is the sheer lack of signaling of main gameplay mechanics. There are so many complexities to the gameplay that aren't organically taught to me as I play, which is a huge problem in a modern context of tutorialized intros to games. I didn't even know that I could buff myself or replenish my own ammo with the "supplies" I had until about two or three hours in. I didn't know that the challenges were practically the only way to unlock new weapons and weapon attachments.

Beyond that, I can't help but pile on in the "AI are stupid" argument against this game. Sure, multiplayer is the best way to play, but having the "best way to play" actually deprecate other modes of play is complete shit. I really don't want to play another map where I'm forced to play CTF with a bot who steals the flag at first opportunity, runs into the middle of a group of enemies, dies in two seconds, and has the flag recaptured to the original spot in three seconds.

Brink just feels painfully thrown together at the last minute and it shows from the very beginning. If you're interested in multiplayer with friends, it may be worth playing. But as a single-player experience, Brink is pretty bad.

Man, this game is garbage in a few key ways that are really souring my experience. The biggest offense is the sheer lack of signaling of main gameplay mechanics. There are so many complexities to the gameplay that aren't organically taught to me as I play, which is a huge problem in a modern context of tutorialized intros to games. I didn't even know that I could buff myself or replenish my own ammo with the "supplies" I had until about two or three hours in. I didn't know that the challenges were practically the only way to unlock new weapons and weapon attachments.

Beyond that, I can't help but pile on in the "AI are stupid" argument against this game. Sure, multiplayer is the best way to play, but having the "best way to play" actually deprecate other modes of play is complete shit. I really don't want to play another map where I'm forced to play CTF with a bot who steals the flag at first opportunity, runs into the middle of a group of enemies, dies in two seconds, and has the flag recaptured to the original spot in three seconds.

Brink just feels painfully thrown together at the last minute and it shows from the very beginning. If you're interested in multiplayer with friends, it may be worth playing. But as a single-player experience, Brink is pretty bad.

The more people complain the more it seems that the console port is crap, makes a change for once. The intro video is 4x longer. Also the game isn't a single player game, unless you count the Unreal Tournament games as single player games. Multiplayer is the ONLY way to play.

Yeah, I'm honestly tired of people telling me that I'm playing this wrong. If multiplayer was the only way to play, Splash Damage should have made it the only way to play. If it was never designed to be SP, it should never have had SP.

Guess what? It has single-player and the single-player is garbage. Don't tell me that my comment is invalid.

Yeah, I'm honestly tired of people telling me that I'm playing this wrong. If multiplayer was the only way to play, Splash Damage should have made it the only way to play. If it was never designed to be SP, it should never have had SP.

Guess what? It has single-player and the single-player is garbage. Don't tell me that my comment is invalid.

If they want to throw an offline mp mode in sure ok; but going to agree with Jon here.

I was maybe a bit ignorant, but I remember following the game when it was announced and once of the biggest draws was them touting singleplayer and how unique it was that it was like seamlessly playing sp and mp... so far I haven't seen it and the objectives seem pretty much all the same.

Fair enough. SP is dogshit, but it also comes from a pedigree of MP only games. As soon as I saw it, no matter what they say, it's clearly designed for a bunch of humans playing together. It remains to be seen whether it will have legs. I've been enjoying MP, but it's tricky to get on a pub and get some sort of cohesion, but as soon as you do, it lights up.

Anyway. I really want it to deliver. Will give it a month or two.

Got Brink in the Steam sale, and just had my first multiplayer game. I had a lot of fun with it. I don't play a lot of online games, and I don't use VOIP or anything. I just picked a medic, stuck with it, and went around healing and reviving as much as I could. We failed the second mission (I played the first with bots) but it was fun.

Brink is one of my favorite team-based FPSs. The crappy console launch combined with the lack of catering to the e-sports folks had this game die a rapid death but I really liked the style, gameplay, and feel of the game.

Brink is one of my favorite team-based FPSs. The crappy console launch combined with the lack of catering to the e-sports folks had this game die a rapid death but I really liked the style, gameplay, and feel of the game.

Yeah, I'd like to keep playing. I don't really like talking to dudes when I play online, so I was concerned I would just be inadvertently ruining other people's games. It doesn't work that way at all, people seem to mostly be playing to their class (which takes care of teamwork in most cases) and I'm not sure if it's the game or a few guys on the team who know what they're doing, but we moved on from objective to objective without too much hassle.

Short of running off like a jackass and willfully being stupid, I'm not sure how you could really derail your team. Great fun, will have to get back into it again soon.