I think a big problem with Brink is how the game is intended to be played. If you were to put CoD, TF2 and any of Splash Damages games on a scale from least teamwork required, to most, it would look like this.

CoD ----------- TF2 -----------------------------(SD games) Brink

Skill would also look vaguely similar. Your team is going to get utterly massacred if you don't work together, and you can't simply spray bullets at a man until he dies, either. So people who are used to shooting 12 guys in CoD and planting a bomb free of worry because they expended all their ammo, aren't going to get very far here.

I really hate to be the guy that says "LOL, CoD players bad at games" but it seems to be the case here. The lethality of almost all weapons (pretty much every gun will kill you in three or less shots to the head) combined with attacking while you freerun, is simply a different level of play.

Enjoying it immensely so far.

I think a big problem with Brink is how the game is intended to be played. If you were to put CoD, TF2 and any of Splash Damages games on a scale from least teamwork required, to most, it would look like this.

CoD ----------- TF2 -----------------------------(SD games) Brink

Skill would also look vaguely similar. Your team is going to get utterly massacred if you don't work together, and you can't simply spray bullets at a man until he dies, either. So people who are used to shooting 12 guys in CoD and planting a bomb free of worry because they expended all their ammo, aren't going to get very far here.

I really hate to be the guy that says "LOL, CoD players bad at games" but it seems to be the case here. The lethality of almost all weapons (pretty much every gun will kill you in three or less shots to the head) combined with attacking while you freerun, is simply a different level of play.

Enjoying it immensely so far.

I'll admit that most CoD players aren't good at other games, i've played against enough of them to know that most CoD players aren't good at anything, but I do resent being grouped in with the general populace there.

Considering the teamwork required of CoD players in Tournament 5v5 Search & Destroy i'd say that those of us that played professionally can deal with Brink. I just don't want to.

And I resent you saying a game was ruined by things that have no impact on gameplay! So there.

Admittedly, I'm sure there are levels on which CoD is played that require more than point-click-hold, run, repeat, but Brink doesn't seem to have received that level of coexistence in its player-base. It's mostly the gormless fucks with no sense of teamplay. But damn, when everyone on both teams works together. . .it's a thing. A great damn thing.

And I resent you saying a game was ruined by things that have no impact on gameplay! So there.

Admittedly, I'm sure there are levels on which CoD is played that require more than point-click-hold, run, repeat, but Brink doesn't seem to have received that level of coexistence in its player-base. It's mostly the gormless fucks with no sense of teamplay. But damn, when everyone on both teams works together. . .it's a thing. A great damn thing.

It's definitely a game where even just playing with a couple friends can really carry a team. I've kinda gone 50/50 with getting mindless idiots that care more about shooting than planting the fucking charge jesus christ you're right next to it! Just plant it! Totally addicted to light operative right now. Fun bouncing off walls and obstacles like a monkey. Also fun, disguising, getting behind a group, and then planting a sticky bomb on someone's back and walking away.

Looking at the GB Quick Look, it does look like a Splash Damage game, but not what I was hoping for. I remember liking the first ET way back (though I sucked), but what seemed interesting about this game was the freedom of movement and such. I don't see that at all. Flat maps, slow moving gameplay.

I dunno how good an example that QL is of what Brink is. There are definitely choke point areas and locked firefights, but there is a lot of mobility over the course of a match. Jeff is such a vanilla video game player (soldier in Mass Effect, headshotted his way through SC:conviction without mark and execute, soldier in borderlands, etc.) that I can't see him getting excited about things other than gun feel in a game.

Also, they spend so much time playing with/against bots when that's not what that game is about. It's not Giant Bomb's fault since that's how Splash Damage positioned the game.

I dunno how good an example that QL is of what Brink is. There are definitely choke point areas and locked firefights, but there is a lot of mobility over the course of a match. Jeff is such a vanilla video game player (soldier in Mass Effect, headshotted his way through SC:conviction without mark and execute, soldier in borderlands, etc.) that I can't see him getting excited about things other than gun feel in a game.

Also, they spend so much time playing with/against bots when that's not what that game is about. It's not Giant Bomb's fault since that's how Splash Damage positioned the game.

I agree that the QL isn't very representative of the game. Bots are stupid for sure. But playing bots is really not where the game is. I'm sure it's more annoying on xbox, but there is FAR more movement going on in the PC version from your typical player. In the video they played it like it was any other shooter and never really took advantage of SMART, especially the slide which is a super important move in your arsenal. As much as I don't like to say it, they were doing it wrong. To give you an example of how I play, one particular moment I'm proud of pulling off was this: Enemy team was planting a charge on a door I had to defend. I was playing light operative. I threw a caltrops grenade to mess with their movement, ran toward them, wall jumped up to a high chain-link fence, vaulted over that, shot the guy with the charge while flying over him, then landed into a slide down a pile of boxes and killed a medic and the guy he rezzed. That was all one smooth motion. Typically I play like a wall bouncing, obstacle hopping monkey. Especially in gun fights. The body types definitely dictate the kind of game you want. Heavy is the more traditional shooty guy that can vault over small walls ala gears of war. Medium can do some climbing. Light is a crazed monkey lunatic that can do all the parkour stuff.

Wow that was a wall of text.

I agree that the QL isn't very representative of the game. Bots are stupid for sure. But playing bots is really not where the game is. I'm sure it's more annoying on xbox, but there is FAR more movement going on in the PC version from your typical player. In the video they played it like it was any other shooter and never really took advantage of SMART, especially the slide which is a super important move in your arsenal. As much as I don't like to say it, they were doing it wrong. To give you an example of how I play, one particular moment I'm proud of pulling off was this: Enemy team was planting a charge on a door I had to defend. I was playing light operative. I threw a caltrops grenade to mess with their movement, ran toward them, wall jumped up to a high chain-link fence, vaulted over that, shot the guy with the charge while flying over him, then landed into a slide down a pile of boxes and killed a medic and the guy he rezzed. That was all one smooth motion. Typically I play like a wall bouncing, obstacle hopping monkey. Especially in gun fights. The body types definitely dictate the kind of game you want. Heavy is the more traditional shooty guy that can vault over small walls ala gears of war. Medium can do some climbing. Light is a crazed monkey lunatic that can do all the parkour stuff.

Wow that was a wall of text.

Yes but it sure as hell re-ignited my interest in the game :tup::tup:

That just sounds pretty much what I expected the game to be in the first place.

Brannigan that was an awesome tale. I main a light operative myself and it's a ton of fun. I love the caltrops, and hacking turrets.

I would suggest that anyone interested check out this Video On Demand of the Brink TV launch stream. The first match starts at 25:30, and it's a pretty good example of play. There's a few great moments near the end of that match that really show off the SMART system.

The whole stream also highlights the weaknesses of the game. Class diversity is required, with Soldier as the one I miss the most. Their ability is an ammo refill, which is crucial when you're trying to accomplish any objective away from spawn. Most people tend to engi/medic though. A lot of the maps have some balance issues, with the defending team spawning directly on top of a defense with ridiculously short times. Usually at the end of the map, you'll have to run 20-30 seconds to get to the objective, and by that time it's swarmed. TF2 already solved this issue with the way they move spawns and change timers, it's disappointing to see it here. That issue also connects with chokepoints. There are a lot of chokepointy spots. The good thing is, there is a built in way to avoid them through using SMART. The bad thing is, it's hard to get your allies to do that.

I have the PC version.

The good:

-The game itself seems fun, you can see that a lot of thought has gone into all the gameplay systems and rules.

-It's a lot more accessible and easier to pick up than it looked in videos.

-Not had any problem finding a good random server. Just the usual server browser, sort by ping and player count.

The bad:

-A large range of ATI graphics cards, including my 4870, are giving a nasty grid effect on most of the geometry. It's perfectly playable but looks very ugly.

-ATI released a hotfix specifically for Brink which doesn't fix the grid problem and introduces horrible constant stuttering, seemingly for everyone. I've rolled back to 11.3 drivers and have good enough performance.

-I'm playing with randoms and the random PC master race is about as thick as you'd expect on consoles, but with the added mixed blessing of nobody having a headset.

-You have to skip a cutscene at the beginning of EVERY SINGLE MATCH. Where do they find people who think that's ok?

Thanks, but that just says to install the hopeless hotfix drivers.

I'm never buying an AMD card ever again, there are similar issues in other games which have never been fixed. Can't really afford to dump a hundo on a new card right now though and it's still not worth it performance-wise in my price range.

Yeah, the amount of shit I've had to wade through after getting an AMD card is incredible. I'm definitely getting an Nvidia card next time, no matter what brand has the current performace edge. Really looking forward to not being peddled LotR online when installing the mother fucking graphics drivers.

Had to try this last night and seemed alright. The presentation is slick, the art is very consistent and well done.

Gameplay feels alright, but nothing to sing home about right now; I need to get into more, but it seemed pretty standard and not very involved just yet.

The miss opportunity is this really neat fiction that is well presented, but is basically a multiplayer only game when all of the above could have been utilized for a really cool half-life style singleplayer-coop.

I'll play more before I say yay or nay.

I've been enjoying it quite a bit. As a die-hard W:ET player that is not so surprising.

My complaint is with the SMART system I guess, and specifically with the jumping. I was hoping they would have implemented something of a circle strafe trickjumping mechanic like the one that existed in W:ET. Instead the jumping feels like little more than a cue for SMART lines.

Still, the feeling of holding back a wave and then punching forward to cap an objective is fun as heck, and it will only get better as the player base learn the maps.

ShitBox360?

Hey, if you're playing BRINK, add me! not a lot of my friends list have the game:

http://steamcommunity.com/id/gblott

Yeah, the amount of shit I've had to wade through after getting an AMD card is incredible. I'm definitely getting an Nvidia card next time, no matter what brand has the current performace edge. Really looking forward to not being peddled LotR online when installing the mother fucking graphics drivers.

Just bought an AMD card (HD 6970) which I haven't installed because the rest of my computer is missing. Didn't AMD team up with Valve to bring driver updates to Steam a while ago? Did that help the situation at all? For a while now, I have done all my PC gaming on my Macbook Pro and up until recently updating laptop drivers has been a real pain in the ass. I hope it won't be too much worse with AMD drivers. :tmeh:

Anyway, Brink. Looks kinda cool, sounds kinda flawed and I think I might enjoy it if I enjoyed multiplayer shooters. I'd love to play a co-op game for a change but I don't know anybody, and even if I did, my schedule (whims) is so irregular that I probably wouldn't be able arrange anything. Playing co-op with complete strangers, on the other hand, is just painful me.

Looks like there was a castro situation going on elsewhere too.

I got the control turret ability earlier, was pretty amused that the turret camera makes everything look like quake 2 or something. Explains why turrets are sometimes so bad at shooting mans. :P